Need to "downlevel" USBSER.SYS...

Mark_Venture

I use Motorola Mobile Phone Tools with my cell phone to work with the phone book, calendar, graphics, ringers, and videos. To copy/synchronize between the phone and the PC.

It seems that using a USBSER.SYS file newer than the 8/8/2000 version causes problems for MPT communicating with the phone.

I am using WinXP Pro w/SP2 and all of the latest windows updates applied.

When I replace the file with the old version, it will be ok for a while, but then the new one comes back without warning. I am assuming due to SFC? I have replaced the file in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers and C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in normal and "safe" mode.

How can I keep this ONE file from being "updated" back to the version dated 2004?

Can I modify the INF file that is used to install my phone via usb cable as a "Motorola USB Modem" so that it copies this older USBSER.SYS onto the system when installing the device? or is there some other way?

It may be reloading the driver from a folder called SP2.cab, the only way to stop SP2 from reloading SP2 drivers is to temporarily rename SP2.cab to SP2old.cab,

I have to do this to load SP1 firewire drivers. The SP2 drivers don't work. In device manager it will say the ochi1394 device is working properly, until you plug in a camera and it won't recognise it. :rolleyes:

Try it out, and reboot a couple of times after you put in your older drivers, to make sure it, "takes." You can then rename SP2old.cab back to SP2.cab

Treeman