New XP installation slow/ weird problems

Hello,

I have been testing out my unattended XP cd that i slimmed quite a bit with nLite & I am having some strange problems. I expenced it to be quite a bit faster since i removed several programs/ services, etc. but i was careful not to remove anything important. The first few times i boot up after the installation, windows loads very quickly (1 or 2 passes of the little blue progress bar) but after installing drivers, windows updates, programs, etc. it is much slower than regular installations- like 10-12 passes of the progress bar. Regular windows installations usually take about 4 or 5 passes on this machine. It also seems to have trouble with multitasking... videos lag & jump if i try to browse through explorer at the same time, etc. (These are all things that worked fine before) and I am using the same drivers, etc. that i always have. I am also getting a blue screen when I try to install it on a machine with a SATA RAID0. I know it is a vague question....but can anyone suggest things I should check, or anything i may have removed that could cause problems like this? Thanks a lot

Hiya,

This is usually indicative of DMA problems.

Just a few general tips for you:

1. Install (or reinstall) chipset drivers (Intel infs or Via Hyperions), and RAID driver

2. Check IDE channels in device manager (under "IDE ATA\ATAPI Controllers"). Ensure "Transfer Mode=DMA if available" for channels in use, "Device Type=NONE" (NOT "Auto Detection") for free channels.

3. If you end up reinstalling, consider using "RyanVM's Windows XP Post-SP2 Update Pack" rather than manual hotfixing.

Good Luck!