Slow NIC detection

Martin Zugec

Martin,

Thanks for the advice. Yes I manage my INF cache very closely. And I have used that tool before.

It really doesn't do me any good however as thats not where the Slow NIC response time comes from.

I can use devcon to manually load the driver after booting from a CD into WinPE and it takes the same amount of time to load the driver, finish initializing.. or whatever it should be called.

Once the driver is inserted(?) the TCP stack binds swiftly and the whole stack comes up immediately.

There is no network traffic during this "phase" so I would guess its running tests or detection routines to figure out which specific NIC chipset is there.

I've almost thought.. well perhaps writing my own e100 driver from the Windows DDK is the only approach to getting around this.. Intel seems to publish lots of details on the chips and Linux people seem to write drivers.. trying to be optimistic here.. maybe we need a third party WinPE driver only club (ironic since Microsoft released WinPE to get around dual drivers for 16 bit and 32 bit.. now we need dual for WinPE 32 and Mainstream Intel 32 support of Windows.. :wacko:

Hello!

Hmmm, for slow NIC detection I encountered two reasons

- first is driver. However if you are using E1000, the native driver is working quite fine, so maybe your problem is with

- wrong source OS cd... Try to use another CD/another source OS/another language CD... This was my problem and I already encountered few people that had the same problem.