Remote Desktop Win 2000 from Win XP

Hi my friendly experts,

I would like to do a service job on a friends Windows 2000 Professional PC from Windows XP Pro (this is in another country). There is no server involved, only a switch which I have been through. I have been using Remote Desktop in the past between Win XP Pro PC's without a problem but cannot get this one solved. Any simple ideas, the Windows 2000 owner is not much of a PC buff.

While we are on this subject, same problem but this time from Windows XP Pro servicing a Windows XP Home Edition PC (also in another country). Tight VNC is the only one I have come up because Windows XP Home Edition does not support Remote Desktop with but have had no success.

Thanks in advance

P.S. I have worked with PCAnywhere in the past but find Remote Desktop much more efficient with speed in carrying out commands.

I'd have thought that the Remote Desktop isn't in Windows 2000 by default - its a seperate download I believe (tho I havent that much experience in 2000 so cant say for sure).

This might be a start:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

As mentioned, XP Home Edition should be no problem - I've remote controlled a few home edition-based pc's from XP Pro.

Routers & firewalls may be an issue here to keep in mind - you might want to search the microsoft KB for info on that - norton firewall being one surefire way of stopping it working if not configured right.

Regards and please post back either way.

N.

Hi Guys,

@Takeshi, I found that Remote Assistance needed the WXP HE user to be at the PC all the time as I could not reboot etc and these PC's will be serviced i.e. new drivers etc., thanks all the same

@it_ybd, "Remote Desktop in Windows XP Professional provides remote access to the desktop of your computer running Windows XP Professional", I want to go the other way, Win XP Pro to Win 2000 and/or Win XP HE, thank you as well.

I appreciate the fast replies and hopefully someone will have had and solved the same problem in the past.

Windows 2000 Pro doesn't have the capability to accept remote desktop connections. You can run the *client* from Windows 2000 Pro, but not connect *to* a Windows 2000 Pro box. In other words, it has no terminal server capabilities. You'll need an alternate solution such as PC Anywhere, VNC, etc.

- Ravashaak

ah ha - i knew i never really understood that download lol

well c'mon - it is very early in the am here lol

I failed to mention it but VNC is good when the user isnt using xp - works for me :)

Regards,

N.

This is what I was afraid of, just a couple of questions:

it_ybd you say"I've remote controlled a few home edition-based pc's from XP Pro". Do you have any tips or a site that you can suggest for help?

and "VNC is good when the user isnt using xp - works for me ", here as well if you can point me in the direction. I am afraid that my short tests with VNC proved unsuccessful.

Thanks very much for all the answers.

Well... regarding xp home - its been fairly straight forward.

Get the user to load up windows messenger (making a .net account if needed) and do the same thing yourself.

Then providing you get them to add you as a buddy, they can then click the botton/choose the menu option to "Ask for remote assistance" and take it from there.

You'll run into problems with firewalls here perhaps so if they are running anything like norton firewall or zonelabs, then they'll either need to make a program exception for the remote assistance side of things - both will probably pop something up asking whether to allow this and the answer is of course yes.

Not that this is particularly great, but you may need to try disabling the firewall if you cant get it to work - maybe both on your end and on the target machine - but try just the target pc first.

If you, or the target user, is using a router, you may need to open up certain ports - cant remember exactly what the deal was here and as I mention below, I cant find the MS article on it - but if anyone has it handy, pm me and I'll update this post.

Here's a few links to help here, although I cant seem to find the one i'm after:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...9&Product=winxp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...sist/intro.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...ssist.mspx#ECAA

You can always PM me if you wanna chat more on this - maybe a chat on msn or something.

Regarding vnc, it was a matter of knowing the WAN IP address that you are assigned when you connect up to the internet via dsl. I'm not sure if it works the same way in every country but the ip address may be dynamically (different each time) or staticially (same each time) assigned depending on the isp and/or package chosen.

All you need is the vnc viewer (on your end) which you dont have to install even - and the vnc server running on the target machine.

A good one to use (as theres quite a few variants of it) is UltraVNC http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/downloads.html and check out the Port Forwarding section - there's a link to a fan's page on a bit more info regarding it.

Once your friend has the server installed, running, and get it password protected - there will be a password option in the server properties which makes it so that anyone trying to connect to the server - to control the machine - will have to type in the password first - very good idea to set this.

It needs to be allowed also in whatever firewall is running, and the port open in the firewall of the router/windows - usually 5900 i think, but it can be whatever you like really if needs be.

You can try installing that package yourself to get a feel as you'll have to explain it to the user on the target machine.

See how you get on with that and good luck.

Regards,

Nath.

Hello,

My experiences with older machines is to use RealVNC. It is free, fast, and you do not have to install the viewer that allows you to connect to the server. (This is good for computers locked down.) It also lets you interact with your server and the person that is at the server can actually witness the mouse moving on the screen as well as any applications you are running.

Thanks but we've already mentioned the port forwarding.

I didnt mention it runs on win9x (or did I? lol can't remember) as the topic writer wasn't refering to win 9x.

Regards and if no one has mentioned it before, welcome to msfn.

N.