98 vs. Longhorn

azagahl

Build 5048 looks pretty ugly. Build 4078 looked pretty good IMO. The only thing about this build that I like is the transparent tops of some windows.

Tryin' to look like Mac OS X eh? Maybe if the law of syllogism applies here.

Longhorn = Trying to get a good GUI

Good GUI = Mac OS X

Therefore Longhorn almost equals Mac OS X

Alot of people didn't like XP when it came out (and still dont like it).

I think the same will follow suit, but like most have said:

- if it does more

- is more stable (or is that "user-tollerant" ;))

- has better features

- is smoother and faster

then why (money permitting) not go for it? :)

Regards,

N.

PS They're bound to have a few "problems" with bits of it at first lol but so did XP and there ends the lesson.. :)

Regards,

The Rev N. ;)

Don't forget, all the screenshots and beta releases aren't using the new "Aero" windows acceleration...it's that 3D accelerated windows management crap, but I would think that would have some impact on the visual looks of things.

But even so, I have to say, I think it looks horrible at the moment, I have 5048, and threw it on VMWare...not nice looking. Granted, I didn't get a chance to load VMTools so I was stuck with VGA. But even so, the GUI in general is very...ummm...over-hyped?

I mean I can see some differences and possibly even benefits, but it's not all that impressive. Again...beta...but still, it's like MS is gonna pull a WinME on us.

Longhorn could just be a super version of XP with more 'features' (Which of course means more bugs) and is gonna sell it as a major upgrade. I've even head WinFS isn't going to be included at launch.

I think you cannot go for it, you must go for a new pc to use Longhorn, so I'll definetly don't go for it, as I don't go for a new PC after I bought my new Notebook last year.

I dont know, I kind of like how it looks... The GUI anyway, that bootscreen definitly needs some work. And asides, if you dont like how it works, hack the uxtheme.dll again, problem solved...

ill prob get a version just to see how it works, thats how I do things, compulsivly buy the next version to test... Hopefully its fast, but, who knows...