Resellers

Rick

Anyone serious about this should take accounting 101 as a minimal.

The serious money is not in building PCs, however. It is just a side plate for extra cash in my case.

The serious money is in manufacturing. zipp51 would know more about that. I hope to manufacture computer cases in the next two years.

now that would be awesome :rolleyes:

Need a UK distributor? :)

The money is in the extras, and also warranties, its why they always try and force you into buying a warranty if you buy at a pc store. markup on computers is minimal as possible to remain competetive, to make profits you have to buy in huge bulk amounts. repairs and upgrades is ok money too, as is business contracts.. a side i want to get into.

recently at college my tutor asked us all to price up a quote for a pentium 4 pc with windows 2000.

i under cut the quote they got from some business by about £80 i think it was and still got a nice markup for me out of it, also they council wouldnt be buying copies of win2k as they have a VLK.... so i undercut the price by quite a margin, all the parts i did where retail prices too.. i would have cut the price even more if id used dealer prices.

a business might order 5 machines and want installation and setup too, so your talking £5000+ sales

not bad going if you can get that kind of work and often.

yeah i saw it the other day, pretty good for a home job. its wood tho.. id only ever put a mini itx in there.. not an AMD 2400+ with geforce ti 460.... well maybe but id have a fire extinguisher strapped to the side

:)

.... well maybe but id have a fire extinguisher strapped to the side

:)

LOL, fire extinguisher strapped to the side. :rolleyes:

I have a friend that was a sheet metal tech for a large aircraft company. He has a home business now where he makes PC Cases in his barn. His daughter (PC Builder) started the business with her Dad's technical assistance. They do pretty well with a full time staff of six employees. All they really started with was a sheet metal press and hand tools. Nice comfortable living in the hills of Tennessee. She tells me that a few steady contracts are necessary for a steady income.

Tris, he paid about US $2,000.00 for the press and assorted tools from DRMO, Defense Reutilization Marketing Office.

Your Naval DRMO in the UK:

Defense Reutilization and Marketing, MOLESWORTH, Sales 44-1480-84-2632, Hours 0800-1630

Huntingdon, UK, (RAF Molesworth).

You would be surprised at what you can get at the public auctions. I paid $400.00 for a 1989 Chevy Pick-up truck in 1997 that had about 8,000 miles on it. Sold it for $1300.00 same week. Picked up a ESDS Work Bench for $250.00 "Brand New" still in the crates and sold it for $1600.00 same week!

Call them or make a visit and I bet you will be real surprised. Have them email you the Sales List.

I have a friend that was a sheet metal tech for a large aircraft company. He has a home business now where he makes PC Cases in his barn. His daughter (PC Builder) started the business with her Dad's technical assistance. They do pretty well with a full time staff of six employees. All they really started with was a sheet metal press and hand tools. Nice comfortable living in the hills of Tennessee. She tells me that a few steady contracts are necessary for a steady income.

Your right,manufacturing is where the money is.Sounds good,and doesn't require a huge investment.

gotta make something new and that looks good, refer to chieftec and such for inspiration! if you turn cases out of that kind of quality but cheaper your on a sure fire winner, anyone who does i will gladly be the sole uk distributor... selling to other companies and doing the leg work for you :):rolleyes:

if its quality and its cheap.. you (almost) cant fail

This is the best thread i have read in a while...i love this @$#$.

As for the reseller or re-seller stuff...i use DandH www.dandh.com

There customer service is excellant with fast shipping and a great website where you can track your orders and get lots of info. I am going to check out the one mentioned earlier (MA-Labs)

Also you might consider joining the National Association of System Builders www.NASBA.com

Tris, I talked to my friend in Tennessee about exporting to the UK / Europe and it looks dismal. The export taxes and associated costs are off the scale for a low volume home business. She looked at it once in the past and did the math. Basically, no profit. Her high-end cases (not even close to the quality of ChiefTech) cost her about $45.00 per case with raw goods, labor, minimal marketing, shipping, insurance etc., (overhead). They decided to fabricate a standard case, mod the front as necessary, and contract out to Fujitsu and Packard HELL. The majority of her production goes to backfill for those two companies. Steady income in any event.