Disk Defragmenter

tubui

i use defragment tool from EXECUTIVE. It's fast and works well.

i defrag my hard drives at least 1 / week WITHOUT having much activity. If i install or remove many software or move files from 1 partition to another in 1 day, i defrag my compuer immediately so that everything can run smoothly.

WHY not using OS-self defrag tool? I think this will be enough.

And how frequent to do defragment? I agree that it verifies depend on the way you use HDD. Too often defragment will make more negative effects to HDD health.

No, it won't unless there's a bug in the defragmentation process that causes files to get misplaced when moving them to certain areas of the HDD.

There are smaller cases where Windows may flip out with a system is low on virtual memory error, page file too small error message or a system has no page file error message. Also there was a case where some files of an application got corrupted.

I would try to make a bug report if ***ANY*** of the above mentioned symptoms occur after defragmenting the HDD.

I would personally recommend PerfectDisk over O&O or Diskeeper. It deals with defragmentation and also file layout on the drive.

As for how often, as Tarun said, it depends on how hard you work your drives. I rarely defrag my system drive any more, since I don't install any software or anything like that, and all my documents and files are stored on other partitions. My VMWare partiton on the other hand... probably every 3-4 days, and I don't even use it that hardcore like some others here do. It all depends on how much you use the drive. Analyze the disk every few days and soon enough, you'll get a feel for how often you need to defrag.

i use diskeeper and have been since about version 6 i guess, i remember seeing the ad in a computer mag and decided to try it out, its a great program! and im sure even though Exec. software (supposedly) make the system defragger in XP im sure theyre product is wayyyy better (think about it why would you put your full featured product in an OS? it would create less revenue for the company, well im sure they get royalties outta it) i have diskeeper set to defrag my HDDs when the screensaver comes on, granted it doesnt consolidate free space automatically you can set that up as one of the options.....

• 5 months later...

Hello!!

This is my first time posting on here! So greeting to everybody.

Well personaly I run a diskfragment everytime before I shut down my pc, I think that might gain the next boot faster B) but I am not sure.

Actually SamiJam I think you are defragging excessively unless you are doing a lot of file IO intensive tasks. At shutdown I have the option enabled where it cleans out the page file. But thats it. I have the defrag set whenever my computer is on but idle and the screensaver turns on it will defrag. That way I am not spending extra time watching hard drives defrag. Just a matter of convenience I guess. And you can get bootvis if you want to boot your computer faster or just use the Hibernate function.

I would have to throw in a vote for Diskeeper, but since most of the recent defragmenting programs use Windows API's to defrag the hard disk or disks, it becomes more of an added feature set race to see which is the "best".

I use Diskeeper 9 Pro and Server because of the AD integration, as that's the feature I like :).

I would have to throw in a vote for Diskeeper, but since most of the recent defragmenting programs use Windows API's to defrag the hard disk or disks, it becomes more of an added feature set race to see which is the "best".

I use Diskeeper 9 Pro and Server because of the AD integration, as that's the feature I like :).

Yet another vote from me too, it runs on our servers and does a neat job. The scheduling features are cool. The automatic defrag has made the job so much simpler and i personally feel it should be considered a part of regular maintenance for system performance.

I do my maintenance religiously,i feel thts what keeps the system performing at its best for as long as its destined to survive- a defrag (I Use Diskeeper Pro) a disk cleanup, chkdsk, regualr virus scans/spyware scans and also a registry cleaner.

Talking of defrag, i feel the HD sizes have grown so huge nowadays but so has the average file size and i notice from just browsing sessions, so many files get dumped into the system. Also we download updates and patches etc etc, for which MS suggests a defrag everytime. What i like bout the defragger are the scheduling features too..great for daily defrag, uses very less system resources.