Anyone had Longhorn 5048 running on VMware?

ithinkurdumb

Has anyone got b5048 running on VMware?

In the "Select drive to install Windows" screen, it always says that the selected partition is not supported to install Windows. No matter I choose SCSI or IDE when creating the virtual disk. I also tried to load the VMware SCSI driver, but an error message "The exception unknown software exception 0xe000100..." poped up and the setup restarted.

Yeah, I had the same problem - you need to format the partition first using 3rd party software, then reboot and retry the install. LH won't format it for you. I've actually installed 5048 on a second (8gb) disk in a virtual machine running XP RME, as setup seemed to hang doing a single os install (on vmware 5). It's installed fine, and the vmware tools went on without a hitch. ;)

I installed on VMware GSX Server 3.1 successfully.

I installed build 4074 first, then I use 5048's DVD to boot th VM and made a clean install.

The only big problem left is that it can't join a domain. When I joined it to a domain and reboot, it shows the Blue Screen of Death the moment I logon (no matter what kinda account I use).

stupid me, i forgot to read the htm file :blushing::P

Install Longhorn on clean partitions only

You can perform only a clean installation of this preliminary release of Longhorn. You cannot upgrade your computer to this release. You can start a clean installation of Longhorn from the installation DVD while you are running Windows XP, a Microsoft Windows Server™ 2003 operating system, or Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1. To perform a clean installation, be sure to format the target partition as NTFS before you start the installation. If you have no operating system installed or you are running an operating system other than Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or Windows Server 2003, start the computer from the installation DVD and perform a clean installation. You can format the partition as NTFS during Setup.

You will be unable to install on FAT and FAT32 partitions. Although you cannot choose a format other than NTFS during the installation, if you install this preliminary release of Longhorn on a drive or partition that was previously formatted as FAT, you must reformat the drive to NTFS before you install Longhorn.

We recommend that you start Setup from the Longhorn installation DVD. From the Setup Wizard, enter the product key, read and agree to the License Terms for Microsoft Software, and click Clean installation. To format the partition, on the Where to install Windows wizard page, choose the partition you want to format and click Format. Then install Longhorn.

Caution:

Be sure to back up any information that you want to keep before you reformat the partition on which you intend to install this preliminary release of Longhorn. When you reformat a partition, all data contained on that partition is deleted.

Installing to drives other than drive C

By default, the installation partition is assigned the drive letter C when the installation starts. If you attempt to install Longhorn to drives other than drive C, the drive you choose will become drive C when you restart the computer. For example, if during Setup, you choose to install to drive D, after Setup is complete and you attempt to start Longhorn, drive D will appear as drive C. This will not be a problem if you already have an operating system on drive C. When the original operating system is started, it will remain on drive C. Both operating systems will appear as if they are on drive C even though they are not. If you want to specify a different drive letter for this preliminary release of Longhorn, you can do an unattended installation with the following parameter:

assign = X:

X is the drive on which you want to install the Longhorn operating system.

Installing to the same partition as an existing Windows operating system

This section refers to Longhorn for 64-bit systems

We recommend that you install Longhorn for 64-bit systems only on a clean partition or computer. However, if you attempt to install it to the same partition as an existing Windows installation, Setup will first warn you of the conflict and allow you to choose a new location. If you choose to proceed, Setup will rename the existing Windows folders to Windows.000, Documents and Settings.000 and Program Files.000. You will not be able to start this renamed operating system.

Setup installs to the Windows directory only

Setup installs this preliminary release of Longhorn in the Windows directory only. You are not given the option to specify the directory name where Longhorn is installed.

Joining a domain

The Longhorn Setup Wizard does not give you the option to join a domain. If you want to join a domain, you can do one of the following:

* Install Longhorn using Unattend.xml. You can find Unattend.xml in the Docs folder of your Longhorn installation DVD.

* Join a domain just as you would join a domain for Windows XP after Setup has completed. To do this, open Control Panel, click User Accounts, and then click Start the Network Identification Wizard.

most of the problems are solved with this :)

Joining a domain

The Longhorn Setup Wizard does not give you the option to join a domain. If you want to join a domain, you can do one of the following:

* Install Longhorn using Unattend.xml. You can find Unattend.xml in the Docs folder of your Longhorn installation DVD.

* Join a domain just as you would join a domain for Windows XP after Setup has completed. To do this, open Control Panel, click User Accounts, and then click Start the Network Identification Wizard.

What I did is to join a domain when the setup is completed.

The process went flawlessly. However when I restart and logon, it gave me the blue screen of death the moment I logon.

What I did is to join a domain when the setup is completed.

The process went flawlessly. However when I restart and logon, it gave me the blue screen of death the moment I logon.

i'm also having problems with my virtual pc, i formatted the HD using partition magic and ntfs filesystem. when it boots BSOD (ntfs.sys) :realmad:

i'll try to test it on a physical drive but i hate to waste 1 of my expensive dvds lol

I simply installed LH5048 in VirtualPC over a Server 2003 NTFS partition, had no problems. "Starting up..." took long but finished correctly.

i've finally managed to install longhorn on m$ virtual pc.

just 2 advices....

format the partition you're going to use with a 3rd party software like partition magic (there's a free version for DOS). be sure that filesystem is ntfs.

lastly let the virtual machine at least 256mb of ram.

that's all :)

edit: 3k posts :blink:

happy to be here on the comunity ;):hello:

Edited by SiMoNsAyS