Win2003 server and internet connection problem

zillah

I have got win2003 server installed on my laptop Dell Latitude D600 (Pentium M), I have got two NICs, built-in NIC card (Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller), and wireless Dual Band 1450 (I did not use the wireless, I disabled the Radio for it), I tried to connect (Broadcom 570x) to internet via our LAN at my office, It did not work,

1- I thought the problem with cable, I have changed the cable, still the same problem.

2- I have changed port , still the same problem (My Colleague can access internet without any problem, i.e. there was no problem with our LAN).

3- I can see my NIC in device manager, It was working before without any problem.

4- I uninstalled driver for the NIC card, and installed again, still same problem.

5- This is the result of ipconfig:

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]

© Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter WLAN 1450 Dual Band:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Ethernet adapter Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.129.230

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Note: Just to eliminate the possibility of the problem

From the device manager I tried to uninstall the NIC card, and it has been uninstalled successfully, but when I restarted the PC , it has been recognized again by default, how can I installed completely, without being recognized by PC again?

Default gateway shoud be pointing to your routers address for web connectivity (go to your LAN, right click, properties, TCP/IP click properties and enter your default gateway). If that doesnt work can you ping any sites?

169.254.xxx.xxx is windows generic ip address, and means that the machine did not get any ip address assigned by any DHCP router, I guess your problem is related to the hardware, try downloading the latest drivers from DELL's website, or contact their support, you will probably get replacement if your laptop is still under warranty 3Y NBD (3 years next business day) what is standard for that model ...

Very strange, I have just tried to do a test to the laptop , I plugged tha cable again (after 5 hours from my first early post), now it works fine!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there any reason for that ?

quick fix: just set a static IP within the range or ur routers scope. put in the ip address, subnet, default gateway and dns server.

For my knowledge only (future test)

You meant that, I have to use one of my colleague's PC, and I have to do thess steps:

1- ipconfig /all-----to find what is the default gateway and DNS server (because all of us same LAN, therefore we use same gateway and DNS serever)

2- Enter the information above statically (instead of dynamically, which was my previous configuration).

Didn't you ?

What do you want to achieve ?Do you want to test the DHCP server ?If so it is working for all the colleague in my Department, as I mentioned in my first early post.

If it is something ealse (not to test DHCP) could you please let us know ?

• 4 months later...

I am experiencing the same problem between time to time (not always) and non of my colleagues experiencing this).

I disabled the WALN from the device manager , still the same problem

Edited by zillah