Cable Modem

ckullas

Now that my system is running great(after a system restore disk), I've had quite afew problems with intermittent internet service. I've noticed that my speeds are usually just over 1.5 mbps, but every few mins my speed drops dramatically (when actually checked on a bandwidth tester it doesn't even register as if I've lost my connection totally). This persists for a minute or so then comes back to normal. I'm not sure if the problem is on my end(I don't think so) or on the isp side(attbi). My system is sn Athlon AMD 1.9 with 512 RAM, ethernet card and cable modem. I use no extra gadgets, the cable goes straight from my wall to the modem to the card. What the heck is going on? If I was just browsing the internet it would be too much of a problem, but with online gaming its a real nuisance.

Thanks,

Kullas

You could also ask your provider how many people are using their service in your area. The more people in your "section" who are on will slow you down. Cable internet is shared among users in "sections". Let's say you are in an apartment complex and there are 20 users in the complex, you could all be sharing the bandwidth. The more users on at any given time will dictate what kind of speed you get.

That is where I got lucky. My cable provider is Deutch Tekekom. They broke the cable somewhere along the line in my sector cutting off just about everyone and they say they will not fix it because it costs to much money. I am one of only four users in my sector that has access. :)

That is where I got lucky. My cable provider is Deutch Tekekom. They broke the cable somewhere along the line in my sector cutting off just about everyone and they say they will not fix it because it costs to much money. I am one of only four users in my sector that has access.  :rolleyes:

Not good at all. :)

So far I am lucky and only share with a few in my area and they are not on much. My speeds stay pretty constant and fast.

You could also ask your provider how many people are using their service in your area. The more people in your "section" who are on will slow you down. Cable internet is shared among users in "sections".

xsivforce makes a good point

You could also ask your provider how many people are using their service in your area. The more people in your "section" who are on will slow you down. Cable internet is shared among users in "sections".

xsivforce makes a good point

That's really how it is too, when I was switching to ADSL the ISP explained me the difference with ADSL/Cable it's just like you said, it's divided into sections, so maybe at night the speed will be very fast (coz everyone sleeping do'h) but then in the evening everyone would be online (playing games, downloading etc.). I'm not sure how ADSL works, but I do know that it's not divided into sections like cable, and honestly my internet connection is always the same speed, never slower/never faster. If I had a choice between cable that would be twice as fast as my ADSL connection and the same price I wouldn't go with the cable...