Battery and 16-bit subsytem issues

nowarez

A small problems.

My windows whines if that there is something with battery problems when I have change files that the have created in foldern i386.

I have windows xp pro sp2 swedish

Can the problem solve himself with XPize uAE 1.2?

Edited by XPero

Yeah same here, on a laptop (Dell D600 to be exact), it keeps asking for drivers for a battery or something..

Also it screwed my DOS 16-bit subsystem.

when I use 16-bit dos apps in a dos box it gives me an error on autoexec.nt looked it up at MS, something to do with the command.com being corrupt.

Tests were done on a clean install, only updates integrated and xpized with XPize uAE 1.2.

Same image but without xpize runs good.

My XP is Dutch SP2.

@nowarez and Glowy:

Replace the XPized batt.dll with the original one. Let me know if the problem is still there.

Glowy and kurt476:

Can you refer me to those 16 bit apps? I would like to test them in my computer. I will take a look to see what files are related with the DOS 16 bit subsystem.

And please, dont reopen a thread which has been closed. Try the last version and then post.

XPero

Same here with the batt.dll :(

you can test the 16-bit error by running cmd, and then type command in the opened DOS box.

the problems only occur when using a "pre-patched" CD. Patching the files, replacing them in the original i386 dir and burn a cd.

A post-patch (running it after installation) with either the UAE 1.2 or the "normal" 3.1 does not have these problems. (will double check this)

The battery problem is only reproducable when doing an install on my laptop (it only seems to occur on laptops) the 16-bit problem is reproducable in a VM.

(sorry for reopening, I posted, and then realized it was about the 1.1 version instead of the 1.2 :whistle: , if you want we can make this a new thread)

Glowy:

I tried what you told me about the "command" and it worked for me with uAE 1.2 installed. I opened a DOS window and typed "command", nothing worng happened :unsure: Can you tell me what exactly happens to your computer?

XPero

When I run a program that uses the 16-bit subsystem it gives me one of the following messages in a popup (don't know the exact one, I'll have to recreate my image for that. maybe after the weekend)

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem

path to the program you are trying to start or install

C:\WINNT\system32\config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem

path to the program you are trying to run

config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem

path to the program you are trying to run

C:\WINNT\system32\autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

normally I don't run such programs, but the Dell Notebook support software checks the system type via a 16-bit program.

found out it was with more programs. like iniedit, iniworks.

tested some more and the command.com command also came with the error. made a new image without xpize and it dissapeared.

My image (XP Pro NL) is created as follows:

1. use XPCreate to integrate SP2 and hotfixes

2. use xpize uAE1.2 on the created i386 dir. (patch i386 dir and copy files)

3. copy the patched files from the temp dir into the i386 dir

4. make ISO

5. test in VM

When I make the image without "xpize-ing" and run xpize uAE 1.2 from RunOnceEx or cmdlines.txt I don't have the problem.

I will re-create my image after the weekend to see if there was a flaw in my first image

I had that one once. Had to do with faulty antivirus software. Software update fixed the issue then.

look in the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers

and check the contents of the VDD multivalue