Service pack for Windows 98 Standard (First, Gold)

Petr

[...]

Changes in 2.40:

-added CONTROL.EXE v4.10.2000 fix

[...]

What CONTROL.EXE v4.10.2000 fix??? :huh:

If you mean v4.10.1999 have care, because it is problematic.

Both fastlanephil and myself have had system lock-ups due to it. It's reported here.

Keep on the great work! :thumbup

fixed the typo. control.exe v4.10.1999 doesn't seem to cause lockups under Win98 FE since I do not use 98SE2ME and 98se2me is not compatible with 98FE.

A little off topic but regarding my recent problems with requesting Q301453 for WinME, I now got them for both English and Italian editions and MS gave me the right links for them.

Big Monstro may want to ask for the French edition of Q301453 for Win98 whenever he's not busy.

Edited by erpdude8

• 2 months later...

I'm almost ready to release version 2.5.0 of the 98fe service pack which will come in two editions: a full and a lite edition. They will be posted after Valentine's Day.

Full edition is about 50Mb while the Lite edition is around 27Mb.

[...]

What CONTROL.EXE v4.10.2000 fix??? :huh:

If you mean v4.10.1999 have care, because it is problematic.

Both fastlanephil and myself have had system lock-ups due to it. It's reported here.

[...]

Now I know the problems (random system-wide lock-ups) fastlanephil and I were experiencing were due to the now known incompatibility between CONTROL.EXE v4.10.1999 and 98SE2ME. Now I'm using v.4.90.0.3001 without any problems (Thanks erpdude8 and MDGx!). But I think I should write this to dispel any doubts I may have caused: CONTROL.EXE v4.10.1999 is perfectly safe for Win 98FE.

Keep on the great work! :thumbup

Edited by dencorso

• 3 weeks later...
They will be posted after Valentine's Day.

Whoops. I apologize for postponing the 2.50 release once again (hey I have good reasons why I have to delay the release) since I found some recent but minor problems with them. They should be ready by early March for sure once I finish testing them and I've fixed those minor problems that I recently found.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah at last, version 2.50 is finally here!

Unofficial Win98 FE SP 2.50 Full Edition - link removed

Unofficial Win98 FE SP 2.50 Lite Edition - link removed

Changes:

-removed DX6MEDIA.EXE file

-updated JSCRIPT.DLL to version 5.7.0.20550

-added WUPDMGR.EXE file version 5.3.220.1000

-updated NDIS.VXD, PPPMAC.VXD & VIP.386 files from Q301453/Q329128

-fixed minor install problem with the OE4 SP1 (Outlook Express 4.x) updates

-updated Time Zone entries from Q942763 and Root Certificates [ROOTSUPD.EXE]

-updated WMP 6.4 install package which now bundles updated DX6 Media codecs

Known issues/Problems:

-version 4.10.2003 of the PPPMAC.VXD file included in the 2.50 Full & Lite releases (and from the Q301453/Q329128 hotfix for Win98) is incompatible with Win98's NetBEUI protocol. If you install v2.50 of the 98fe SP on a Win98 first edition machine with the NetBEUI protocol already installed, Win98 will freeze/hang on the DOS screen [black screen with blinking cursor] and never load the Win98 desktop. To resolve this problem, boot Win98 into Safe Mode, access the Network control panel dialog box, remove/un-install the NetBEUI protocol and reboot Win98 into Normal mode. OR you can use an older version of the PPPMAC.VXD file (version 4.10.2002 or earlier) if you really need to use the NetBEUI protocol.

Also if you install the NetBEUI protocol from the Network control panel applet with version 4.10.2003 of PPPMAC.VXD already installed, Win98 will crash with a Blue Screen error message referencing the PPPMAC.VXD file and Win98 will stop working altogether after NetBEUI protocol installation.

Edited by erpdude8

• 3 weeks later...

98 FE SP2 2.50 Final links:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#982

* Unofficial Windows 98 Service Pack 2 (SP2) 2.50 upgrades Windows 98 Standard Edition to Windows 98 Service Pack 2 (SP2) (free):

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=44732

- 98 SP2 2.50 Full [47.7 MB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/98FESP2.EXE

- 98 SP2 2.50 Lite [26.2 MB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/98FESP2L.EXE

HTH

• 2 months later...

Unofficial Windows98 FE Service Pack 2.51- no longer available

Changes:

-updated MSVBVM60.DLL file to v6.0.98.02 from WinXP SP3 final

-updated EXTRAC32.EXE file to v5.10.2600.5512 from WinXP SP3 final

-updated DSTUPD.EXE with recent TZ changes

-updated OLEAUT32.DLL to v2.40.4520.0 FROM KB946235

-added more True Type fonts and updated several True Type Fonts from WinXP SP3

-updated HTML32.CNV, MSCONV97.DLL & MSWRD832.CNV files from Office 2003 SP3

Edited by erpdude8

:blushing: This may seem silly -What is major differences between your full and lite packages for 98fe-sp2?*As i'm planning on using 98Upgrade Cdrom to install on older system as 98SE takes up too much room and Ram is between 32 and maybe 64 mb's.Hdd is4.3gb with ethernet, no usb, yet.An old Creative cd-cdrom and floppy Either ViaApollo233mmx with PII233mhz/cpu or Intel Desktop810 with celeron467mhz/cpu...***This system will be for using me older appl's like win3.1-98SE not compatible with newer systems....oh yeah Dos 5.0-6.2 was upgraded.Like MSDos 5.0 but 'tis slow.Will add USB When find card as none available at this time....thx,thydreamwalker :sneaky:

• 2 months later...
:blushing: This may seem silly -What is major differences between your full and lite packages for 98fe-sp2?

The addons that are included in the full edition of 98fe-sp2 like DirectX7, WBEM/WMI 1.5, MDAC 2.5 SP3, etc. These are left out in the lite edition of the service pack.

Version 2.52 - no longer available

Changes:

-updated DSTUPD.EXE & ROOTSUPD.EXE

-updated Unofficial Graphics Filters pack that contains updated graphics filters from Office 2003 SP3

-added SERVICES file from the SERVIC9X package

-added MSIMG32.DLL file from WinME (this is required to run Opera browser v9.5x under Win98)

-added VNETBIOS.VXD v4.90.3001 file from unofficial Q272991 patch for Win98

-added the Windows Script 5.7 installation option in the service pack install dialog box

Edited by erpdude8

• 2 months later...

Hi,

My first post in this forum...

Is there a recommended / correct install sequence for this SP? By that I mean, for example, should I:

A) install 98FE, upgrade IE to IE6sp1, apply this SP, reload my (old) applications (Partition Magic 4, Office 97, Publisher 98, etc.), then upgrade DirectX to 9c and WMP to 9 (via a hack to the installer to get it to load under FE)

OR is it 'better' to:

B) load 98FE, load the (old) apps, apply the SP, upgrade IE, DirectX, WMP

OR

C) follow some other sequence?

OR

D) will the install sequence make no difference in the end and ultimately I'll have a 'clean' 98FE, fully patched inc IE, DirectX, WMP and all the apps as up to date as 98 allows?

Thanks in anticipation of any advice.

stuck

Edited by stuck

Thank you for your advice.

I've been browsing around here over that last couple of days and found another thread (starting here) that is a similar sort of question to mine. The suggested order there is:

1) Win98 (+winzip or equiv. in case needed to unpack drivers)

2) hardware drivers

3) update of core stuff like IE, DirectX

4) security patches

5) apps

6) maybe reinstall any drivers that fail after applying the security patches

If as you say the order isn't really that critical then I'll follow the above. It seems a logical sequence of putting the foundations (hardware) in first, then adding the walls (IE etc) , then putting the roof on (security) before finally fitting out (apps) the house.

stuck

• 1 month later...

I will say that the other "special" addons like Tihiy's RPLite6 pack and the KernelEx addon must be install LAST, meaning these addons should be installed AFTER installing the 98fe SP.

Edited by erpdude8

Version 2.53 posted at MDGx's web site.

Changes:

-updated gdi.exe/gdi32.dll files to version 4.10.2227

-updated user.exe/user32.dll files to version 4.10.2233

-updated ROOTSUPD.EXE file that now has digital signature date of Nov. 3, 2008

-replaced DSTUPD.EXE with DSTUPD.INF and TIMEZONE.EXE containing TZ reg info from KB951072 V2

-removed KB891711.EXE & Q891711.DLL files

-updated WMP 6.4 packages (MP64W98F.EXE for SP Full and MP64W98S.EXE for SP Lite) that contain the new STRMDLL.DLL file from MS08-076/KB954600

Edited by erpdude8

• 2 weeks later...

Added here:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#982

and here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=46581

* Unofficial Windows 98 Service Pack 2 (SP2) 2.5.3 upgrades Windows 98 Standard Edition (First Edition/Gold/RTM) to Windows 98 Service Pack 2 (SP2) and installs ALL previously released Hotfixes, Patches + Updates (free):

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=44732

- 98 SP2 2.5.3 Full [48.7 MB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/98FESP2.EXE

- 98 SP2 2.5.3 Lite [27.2 MB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/98FESP2L.EXE

HTH

Edited by MDGx
newer build posted below