Service pack for Windows 98 Standard (First, Gold)

Petr

OK,Thanx Petr.

I're download it. :rolleyes:

Is there any full ver. of this pack or older pack?

Which is difterent between alpha and full pack?

Do you mean the difference between alpha and "final" releases of the 98fe pack, nicke85? no final nor full pack release exists because the pack is an "unfinished" product and is still in alpha stage. the 98fe sp2 hasnt reached beta either.

alright, I've decided to take matters into my own hands. I have made a beta of the 98fe SP; fixed several installation and removal problems with the pack. Few files have been removed as they have caused install problems. Several files (such as GDI.EXE & GDI32.DLL) have been updated. No new files were added. Just need to test it on a Win98fe PC for a few days.

so beta 1 of the 98fe SP2 should be available at the end of June or the start of July.

so beta 1 of the 98fe SP2 should be available at the end of June or the start of July.

the long wait is over. Beta 1 of the service pack 2.01 for windows 98 first edition is now posted here:

<link to it now removed>

I will only make betas of this service pack. RC releases will not be made by me and will be done by someone else.

next beta of the 98fe SP2 is scheduled to come out in middle of July. enjoy!

Edited by erpdude8

Thanks for the 98FE SP2 update.

BTW:

Takes forever to d/l from MyTempDir [~ 56k speed or even slower].

I guess they only allow paying members to d/l at full speed.

I'll upload it to my site later today.

I'll let you know the location when it's done.

Suggestion:

Now that you are the new maintainer of the 98FE SP2, maybe you can create a new web page for it at your site.

And you can link to the file on my site if u wish.

Please let me know if/when you do this, so I can add a link to your SP2 page at my site.

Thanks.

P.S.:

The download interrupted, I'll try later. :(

Will let u know if I can d/l it successfully.

Thanks, I just finished downloading 98FE SP2, after 4 tries and 3 hours. :(

Mytempdir.com sucks, their server is extremely unreliable, and slower than a 56k modem!

But everything is cool, I've uploaded it at my site... ;)

* Unofficial Windows 98 Service Pack 2 (SP2) v2.01 Beta 1:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=44732

98 SP2 [18.9 MB, English, free]:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/FESP201B.EXE

HTH

Thanks for the 98FE SP2 update.

BTW:

Takes forever to d/l from MyTempDir [~ 56k speed or even slower].

I guess they only allow paying members to d/l at full speed.

I'll upload it to my site later today.

I'll let you know the location when it's done.

Suggestion:

Now that you are the new maintainer of the 98FE SP2, maybe you can create a new web page for it at your site.

And you can link to the file on my site if u wish.

Please let me know if/when you do this, so I can add a link to your SP2 page at my site.

Thanks.

P.S.:

The download interrupted, I'll try later. :(

Will let u know if I can d/l it successfully.

sorry about the slow download speed at Mytempdir. Good thing I still use third party download accelerator tools to download the file from Mytempdir. took less than an hour (between 45 to 50 minutes) to actually get the file from Mytempdir because the download speeds go up and down while downloading it, even with a DSL connection.

no, I wont be making a separate page for the 98fe SP2 on my site and I am only be maintaining BETAS of this pack. RCs and finals of the 98fe SP2 will NOT be made by me.

also MDGx change the name from FESP201B.EXE to FESP201B1.EXE so that there's less confusion. plus the FESP201-B2.EXE package that I am currently working on will be up in a few weeks.

Edited by erpdude8

almost forgot to mention the changes included in beta 1 of 98fe SP: fixed several install and removal problems with the pack; updates included > Q269388, KB917344 (Jscript.dll), U891711, U912919 and OLE Automation v2.40.4528 fix. also included is an updated version of Metapad.

the next beta will have the other missing updates like KB908519, U249824, Krnl386.exe fix and U918547. It will also have MS active accessibility 2.0 and updated Dcom 98 config tools. it should be ready by the start of the third week of july.

Edited by erpdude8

MDGx change the name from FESP201B.EXE to FESP201B1.EXE so that there's less confusion.
I'll wait for you to send me the link to the new one you're working on.

sure MDGx. can you also ask the_guy if he can post his ME service pack at your site? he has just released beta 4 of the ME SP.

beta 1 of the unofficial win98fe sp has been removed from Mytempdir site. beta 2 should be up by either this friday or next monday.

Edited by erpdude8

I'll wait for you to send me the link to the new one you're working on.

Beta 2 of the Win98fe SP2.01 is now posted-

<link to it now removed>

fixes/additions:

-ms active accessibility 2.0

-updated dcom config tools for win98

-KB908519, KB918547, Q260710 hotfixes added

-unofficial fixes [krnl386.exe, voltrack.vxd]

-Q272620 sysdm.cpl fix removed; mis-identifies 98 as 98se

installing this beta of the 98fe Sp2.01 now changes the "short date" setting from the [intl] section of the win.ini file from m/d/yy to m/d/yyyy to ensure most programs (like File Manager which uses the date settings from win.ini) display four digits for the year.

next beta that will be out in early August will be created from the IExpress tool from IE6 SP1 and will display a different message when attempting to run the 98fe SP2.01 pack under other versions of Windows.

Edited by erpdude8

thanks MDGx. next beta will be v2.04 instead of v2.01.

if there was going to be a final release of the 98fe sp2, I may release it at the end of the year. I am getting close to a point where I wont be making any more changes to the SP and will be away from the computer world for a few months (so I can get back to more important things in life). I'll probably stop it around beta 4 or beta 5.

BTW - Uninstallation of the 98se service pack 2.x IS supported only by Add/Remove programs and not by using third party uninstall tools.

Edited by erpdude8

unofficial Win98 FE SP 2.04 beta 3 will be posted early next week. It will feature the True Type Font Properties Extension 2.1, Web-Based Enterprise Management (WBEM 1.5), AOL ART Image Support Update and some other updates.

beta 3 of 98FE SP is now posted:

<link to it now removed>

changes to beta 3:

-changed version number from 2.01 to 2.04

-added True Type Font Properties Extension 2.1 [ttfext.dll]

-added Web-Based Enterprise Management 1.5

-added AOL ART Image Support for Internet Explorer

-added Troubleshooter Content update for Windows 98 FE [tshoot98.exe]

Edited by erpdude8