Service pack for Windows 98 Standard (First, Gold)

Petr

can you upload a copy of FE SP v2.01 alpha 2 at the RapidUpload.com site? it's better than the Rapidshare site.

i konw the latest alpha of the ME service pack is posted at the RapidUpload.com site.

Edited by erpdude8

• 3 weeks later...

9. Add Recommended update: Registration Wizard update? Not sure yet.

10. Add Recommended update: Critical Update Notification 4.0? Not sure yet.

11. Add Recommended update: Euro Conversion Tool? Not sure yet.

The erpdude says a resounding YES to Registration Wizard Update.

link to directly download the Windows 98 Registration Wizard Update from the Windows Update site:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...05E3D70F389.cab

The Registration Wizard Update fix is already included in Win98 SE and WinME as I looked in the following Registry Key and Registry Values in REGEDIT:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{b59c7da0-daea-11d2-83c7-0000f8051539}

@="Registration wizard update"

"IsInstalled"=dword:00000001

"Locale"="EN"

"Version"="4,10,2150"

The Euro Conversion tool should be left out. wasnt included in Gape's 98se pack and the_guy's ME pack and should also not be included in 98FE Gold SP2. Critical Update Notification v4.0 tool should also be excluded as it always loads at startup and checks for critical win98 updates frequently; very annoying for dial-up users but may be useful for broadband users.

The Registration Wizard Update [crwid.exe] removes a hardware ID registry entry that might have gotten transmitted to Microsoft when registering Windows 98 Gold.

Edited by erpdude8

Since it has been more than 6 months since last alpha release of unofficial Win98 Gold SP2, this project should be put on hold as nobody so far wants to update it [plus there were a lot of new updates that were made since last alpha that are not included]. right now the focus is more on the unofficial Win98 SE SP and unofficial WinME SP.

however, this thread will still be open for comments, questions & suggestions.

Edited by erpdude8

• 1 month later...

Hello people,

I recently acquired a 98 FE machine and after reading the UNOFFICIAL 98 FE Service pack 2, I'm not clear on it's status.

Is it still in alpha or needing more testing or ready for prime time ?

I may be able to assist in finding missing modules (if needed).

Thanks.

I am surprised Petr did not answer you yet. I guess he'd be interested by any file you might have that he hasn't got.

I am not sure he still does maintain this pack to be honest.

No one seems much interested by this pack apparently. I guess there aren't many 98FE users around.

erpdude is the one who otherwise knows the most about the wheabouts of this pack so I guess he'll tell you a bit more than I do some time soon if Petr does not do so.

Hello people,

I recently acquired a 98 FE machine and after reading the UNOFFICIAL 98 FE Service pack 2, I'm not clear on it's status.

Thanks.

The unofficial Win98 FE service pack 2 is still stuck in alpha 2 stage [since early July 2005] and hardly anyone is ever testing it or even downloading it since it is posted at that #@$*%#)% Rapidshare.de site which I REALLY loathe (aka. HATE). Petr made a poor choice of posting it there since that site does not offer resuming downloads unless you pay them for a "premium" account. a premium account at Rapidshare allows resuming interrupted downloads. UTTERLY RIDICULOUS!

I am surprised Petr did not answer you yet. I guess he'd be interested by any file you might have that he hasn't got.

I am not sure he still does maintain this pack to be honest.

No one seems much interested by this pack apparently. I guess there aren't many 98FE users around.

erpdude is the one who otherwise knows the most about the wheabouts of this pack so I guess he'll tell you a bit more than I do some time soon if Petr does not do so.

DONT ask Petr about the Win98 FE service pack 2.x anymore. Like I said in an earlier post a few months ago, he is no longer managing the SP as he told me back then. Gape is concentrating more on the Win98 SE service pack instead of Win98 FE SP. Right now the Win98 FE service pack is placed on hold but not necessarily discontinued. And I am personally testing out the WinME Service pack which there will be a new beta of it coming out in a few days.

Edited by erpdude8

If there was going to be a new alpha release of the 98fe SP, it should be posted at the MyTempdir.com site instead of the Rapidshare.de site. the latest beta of WinME SP I'm testing is posted at MyTempdir.com which does allow resuming interrupted downloads with no restrictions.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello people,

Thanks.

HuckFinn,

you are welcome to add and remove features onto the unofficial 98fe service pack 2.x as long as you are skilled enough to create IExpress install packages. the unofficial 98se & me service packs were created from Microsoft's IExpress tool.

please visit the following sites on what IExpress does and how to make IExpress packages and INF/SED/DDF files:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...n/iexpress.mspx

http://www.winpack.org/petr/INF_web/

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=49202

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn.../en/infdoc.mspx

Unfortunately Rapidshare.de doesn't serve it any more:

"rapidshare.de:

File /files/2723154/fesp201en-a2.exe has been deleted.

Reason: No download for a longer period. Inactivity-timeout exceeded."

Does any any have another download link? I want to use my old Win98 FE on my HTPC next to EpiOS in case a program needs Windows.

Unfortunately Rapidshare.de doesn't serve it any more:

"rapidshare.de:

File /files/2723154/fesp201en-a2.exe has been deleted.

Reason: No download for a longer period. Inactivity-timeout exceeded."

Does any any have another download link? I want to use my old Win98 FE on my HTPC next to EpiOS in case a program needs Windows.

nope. there are no other working download links for unofficial 98FE service pack 2.x. thanks for reporting about Rapidshare deleting the alpha 2 of the 98fe SP2 pack, Milmoor.

I now officially put the 98fe service pack 2 project on hold as it is no longer available anywhere.

Edited by erpdude8

A bit of a waste to let all that work disappear. But it needs an active maintainer to stay alive.

Is there anyone who had downloaded it and is willing to forward it to the following adress? It would save me quite some time in updating: joost...op-stelten.nl (there should be an @ at the ...). Thanks in advance.

A bit of a waste to let all that work disappear. But it needs an active maintainer to stay alive.

Is there anyone who had downloaded it and is willing to forward it to the following adress? It would save me quite some time in updating: joost...op-stelten.nl (there should be an @ at the ...). Thanks in advance.

does your email account support very large file attachments? the 98 sp 2.01 alpha is almost 20 megabytes. do you use a broadband internet connection? I am not sending this file as an attachment on a dialup connection. takes way too long and the upload has great chance to time out and you may not receive the file cleanly.

I am waiting for a response from HuckFinn to see if he will continue the project.

also Milmoor, how big is your actual email account? there are some email accounts out there that are past the 100Mb+ limit like Hotmail (Hotmail email accounts for free are 250Mb in size, paid Hotmail accounts are 1 Gb in size) and Yahoo Mail (Yahoo Mail accounts are up to 1 Gb in size). Nah, it's better if the pack were NOT sent to your email address because your account may limit the size of the attachments you can receive. if they are past the limit, they might get rejected. plus there are some email accounts out there (like Hotmail or even GMail) that reject EXE files. Yahoo Mail I believe can only accept and transmit attachments no greater than 10 Mb [Yahoo Mail Plus accounts can handle up to 20 Mb in attachments].

I may have to ask Petr if he can upload a copy of alpha 2 of the 98fe service pack again on his web site. it's better that way so you can download it from there since his server is more reliable than the Rapidshare site. the 98 sp is just way too big to send by email and it may take too long to upload & download when using a slow dialup connection.

HuckFinn said he showed interest in adding some stuff into the 98 service pack. I hope he actually means it. the 98 sp project is not completely abandoned yet. let's see if Huckfinn can keep his promise.

Edited by erpdude8

I may have to ask Petr if he can upload a copy of alpha 2 of the 98fe service pack again on his web site. it's better that way so you can download it from there since his server is more reliable than the Rapidshare site. the 98 sp is just way too big to send by email and it may take too long to upload & download when using a slow dialup connection.

Here is the latest file I have: http://old.winpack.org/nsp_petr/fesp201en-alpha1.exe

Petr

Edited by Petr

I am waiting for a response from HuckFinn to see if he will continue the project.
HuckFinn said he showed interest in adding some stuff into the 98 service pack. I hope he actually means it. the 98 sp project is not completely abandoned yet. let's see if Huckfinn can keep his promise.

Hopefully he will. With the groundwork done by Petr, it should be possible to keep it going.

does your email account support very large file attachments? the 98 sp 2.01 alpha is almost 20 megabytes. do you use a broadband internet connection?
also Milmoor, how big is your actual email account?

Broadband, speed isn't an issue. My account accepts attachments of at least 5MB, I'm not sure of the actual limit. It's hosted by a friend of mine, and probably only limited by the size of the harddisk. So when send in 4Mb parts, my account can handle it. But Petr's download works just fine, so thanks for the offers and for thinking ahead. For some people it would have created problems.

Great, thanks... I'm going to install it at the end of this week.

Nice quoting mechanism, but I'll go easy on the quotes next time. My post is rather full, sorry... Wow, it even merges posts. Nice forum software.

Edited by Milmoor