s***ty looking icons

mox

i'm using resource hacker to change the icons on some exe files, but they always end up looking Way crappier / grainier than the standard icons.

They look ok when i make them, but as they get scaled around (whether i'm viewing the exe as thumbs or on the desktop on in a folder) they look crap.

what am i doing wrong? how can i make icons look like quality?

What are you using to change your pictures into icons? I use Stardock Icon Developer but there is a tidious trick! If you start with your, lets say 128 pixel image, and let Icon Developer make ALL of the icons then they come out rubbish.

What you should really do is take your original large image and scale it down in a photo editing package and save all of the sizes individually. Then import each one into the icon package to make up a full set.

You should make sure that you have 16x16, 24x24, 36x36 and 48x48 icons in the exe or it will just use what's available and stretch it to fit: hence they will look grainier.

You're right there! As horrible as Windows icons are they do have one quality: they are immediately distinguishable at a glance even at 16 pixels. Apple icons are super cool but not down at 16 pixels! The trick is to fill as much of the 16x16 canvas as possible and try to reduce any special lighting effects. It always helps to add an outline, even if it's not that dark a colour. Not necessarily all the way round the object but just where there is some definition.

Happy icon making!