Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.0.0.359

contender

Slightly different question here ... For an unattended install CD, we know that the files being installed are all clean right ? I mean, everyone here has verified that they are clean, right :)

No matter when you build your CD, the next day the defs will be out of date. You will have to download (liveupdate, whatever) current defs, regardless. So the defs that are installed are just about useless, they just take up precious room on the CD.

I want to replace that 8meg file with something tiny, just one def. So first thing, SAV will go out and update itself with the latest defs.

Any ideas ?

D.

Of course it's not useless.

But for the sake of a clean install, I would much rather save the space on the CD, since the first thing that happens is that SAV wil go out and download updated defs ANYWAY.

Why bother having defs on the CD when whatever you have there is simply out of date ?

D.

• 5 weeks later...
I've had no problem silently installing sav10, but I get this weird little quirk...

At every startup, an explorer window opens to C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec and I can't figure out how or why.

Also, my sav taskbar icon seems to have disappeared.

That's a problem with the Run entry for vptray.exe. Look at

hkey_local_machine\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

The vptray entry is bad. It looks like this

C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe

where it should read (note the double quotes !)

"C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\vptray.exe" /tray

I'm not 100% sure about the /tray parameter - I saw that at one point, but haven't seen it again since.

D.