Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.0.0.359

contender

For those who don't want to download the full >10MB virus definitions update (to integrate into the install):

> Just perform an ordinary LiveUpdate. After updating, check your %ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs\ folder. You'll find folders containing entire VirusDefs in the format YYYYMMDD.###. Just go to the latest folder, select all files and zip it up. Name it VDefHub.zip

> Do not compress the VDefHub.zip. ie, set the compression level to Store. You should be getting a file about >=17 MB. This will allow 7zip and other compressors to better compress the entire package, and you'd be saving a few MB's.

> To further reduce the size of your package, remove unneeded dlls from the SAV\System32 folder. You can straightaway delete ctl3d32.dll, msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll. mfc71.dll may be safe to delete too, as many programs install this. You can also delete the DLLs present in \System32\Redist\MS\System if you don't plan to install on a Win 9x system.

I already posted a fix.

are you referring to the registry entry fix? I was hoping for a way to correct it from the System Center

I think post # 36 (from the readme) answers my question however:

'is not configurable from the Symantec System Center.'

that sucks :/

what is the point of the system center if you can't completely configure the client install options.

Does anyone else have a problem with running Download Accelerator with 'SAV Corporate 10.0.0.359'. Every time I install Download Accelerator, 'SAV Corporate 10.0.0.359' immediately opens up a window with the following info:

Scan type:  Auto-Protect Scan
Event:  Threat Found!
Threat: Adware.DAP
File:  C:\Program Files\DAP\DAPBHO.dll
Computer:  VISUALTECH
User:  VISUALTECH\Sanjay
Action taken:  Pending Side Effects Analysis
Date found: Wednesday, May 25, 2005  5:31:53 PM

and another window pops up wanting to delete the 'DAPBHO.dll' file. The end result is I am unable to keep Download Accelerator as long as I have 'SAV Corporate 10.0.0.359' installed. This was not a problem with older versions of SAV Corporate.

Any ideas why this happening or what the solution might be?

I had the same problem with SAV 10. I think its the spyware scan engine with this version. I was surprised when I did my unattended install and found that DAP was not installed. I finally realized that SAV was cleaning out the entire DAP directory in Program Files the moment it is installed. FTM, I have got rid of SAV10 and sticking with SAV 9. Too many things wrong with SAV 10 if you ask me.

i tried using the

/qb RUNSCAN=0 RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS

as suggested but i still get the message that my virus definitions are old and displays the message to update.

HOWEVER the installation continues and all my other applications install and then the PC reboots.

Does anyone think this would have any ill-effects on the computer?

This is being done on an actual machine and not VM. Any suggestions?

Josh

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-s...niver=sav_ce_10

DoScan.exe causes high CPU usage

Situation:

You installed Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.0. After you restart the computer, you notice that the process DoScan.exe is using a large amount of CPU and memory. After the DoScan.exe process completes, the Rtvscan.exe process is using about 40 MB of memory.

Solution:

Symantec is investigating this problem to determine a solution. This document will be updated when new information or a solution is available.

The DoScan.exe process is part of the default startup Quick Scan that runs after a user logs on. You cannot disable this Quick Scan using Symantec System Center.

upon further investigation I found I was able to get rid of the auto-generated quickscan simply by deleting the following key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Intel\Landesk\VirusProtect6\CurrentVersion\Custom Tasks\TaskPadStartup\Auto-Generated QuickScan]

not sure why the symantec workarounds remove so much other registry information!

Does anyone else have a problem with running Download Accelerator with 'SAV Corporate 10.0.0.359'. Every time I install Download Accelerator, 'SAV Corporate 10.0.0.359' immediately opens up a window with the following info:

Scan type:  Auto-Protect Scan
Event:  Threat Found!
Threat: Adware.DAP
File:  C:\Program Files\DAP\DAPBHO.dll
Computer:  VISUALTECH
User:  VISUALTECH\Sanjay
Action taken:  Pending Side Effects Analysis
Date found: Wednesday, May 25, 2005  5:31:53 PM

and another window pops up wanting to delete the 'DAPBHO.dll' file. The end result is I am unable to keep Download Accelerator as long as I have 'SAV Corporate 10.0.0.359' installed. This was not a problem with older versions of SAV Corporate.

Any ideas why this happening or what the solution might be?

I have the same problem here. Symantec 10.0 is so buggy.

While I have used DAP from time to time myself, it has long been on the naughty list of several anti-malware vendors. I don't know what their current business practices are, but I remember that for quite some time they really walked a fine line between legit and spyware spreader. So if their products still raise alarms it really doesn't surprise me, even if they have cleaned up their act.