Nero Custom Applications Builder (NCAB)

vcBlackBox

Ok... I'm starting to have some troubles with this...

I've downloaded the latest releases (Nero 6.6.015a and NCAB 2.05) and followed the usual procedure (compatibility mode - revert command line to defaults), but this time, I get a really small file that generates an error on exectution. It seems like NCAB doesn't actually extract the files from the Nero 6.6.0.15a.exe package (that part goes by really quick on my computer).

Any ideas?

EDIT - Just tried NCAB 2.05 with Nero 6.6.0.15 and all went well. I'm gonna see if it was just a bad download of 6.6.0.15a...

EDIT2 - Ok... crisis averted... For some reason the original download of Nero that I had was 35MB... so NCAB wasn't extracting the files.

Great work! :thumbup

Edited by Zxian

hey vcBlackBox,

nice work  :thumbup

i have a question could yu remove the spash screen....???

You don't like my splash screen? :( I know it maybe a little cheesy and most people don't like spash screens, but my rationale for including one in NCAB is that at the most you might only run my program once or twice each update and that's it. So that shouldn't be a big deal, I hope you're not too annoyed with a 3 sec delay. I'm just trying to build some name recognition for my program.

And your welcome. I'm just glad a lot of people are finding it useful for them.

@Jeremy

I've always removed the CDI subfolder myself, so I think that can be added to the custom installer as well.
The CDI folder is required for a VCD to be fully White Book compliant - meaning compatibility with CD-i players. However, CD-I is an old MPEG1 format not much use anymore. If your target audience does not have a CD-i player, then it is certainly reasonable and safe to remove this feature and it will still play on stand-alone VCD and DVD players. A quick test shows you'll be saving 245 KB by removing the CDI folder. I'll do some further testing, and I might add this option to my next update.
What about:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead

-AudioPlugins

-DSFilters

-Lib

I know for a fact that DSFilters can be removed because Fridge-RaideR has a .bat file that unregisters and removes them. They are for encoding with Nero.

These directories contain important files. I've carefully tested and managed to remove some already. As for the DSFilter folder, you could certainly remove some if not nearly all of the files in there but then you would seriously cripple Nero's functionality and I do not want to do that. Personally, I do use the encoding features, and I do think Nero makes some pretty good encoders.

1. Can you make an option for the silent install directory to be specified?
I would say check with Ahead's documentations, but u do realize what that will do to my cleanup section? So another way of saying this is, No I probably won't add this option.
2. UNNero.exe runs the installation over again, doesn't allow you to uninstall. Not that I want to uninstall such a beautifully customized version of it, but just for functionality sake. newwink.gif
Yeah, well it depends. Nero does have a clean utility that offers a better uninstall than the default uninstaller.
3. Could you make it so Nero does not cache anything before burning?

4. All toolbars at top to be removed/hidden?

5. Nero Express button to go as well?

Not sure about the toolbar and the Express button, but I could certainly add the tweak for the caching next time.
6. No Start Menu Group created?
add this code to the Nero Cleanup section:
rd /s /q "%CommonPrograms%\Nero"

All I can say for now is stay tuned for the next update. B)

What about:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead

-AudioPlugins

-DSFilters

-Lib

I know for a fact that DSFilters can be removed because Fridge-RaideR has a .bat file that unregisters and removes them. They are for encoding with Nero.

These directories contain important files. I've carefully tested and managed to remove some already. As for the DSFilter folder, you could certainly remove some if not nearly all of the files in there but then you would seriously cripple Nero's functionality and I do not want to do that. Personally, I do use the encoding features, and I do think Nero makes some pretty good encoders.

Well, your Custom installer is for people to choose which functions they want.. yes? Adding CDI and DSFilters to the selectability within NCab would be good, then. I don't do VCDs and I don't encode with Nero, so off they go. ;)

The AudioPlugins is so Nero can encode and identify different audio formats, so if you were to go to the extreme with how custom NCab makes Nero, you could make it so we could choose each plugin individually, but I doubt you'll do that.

I don't know about Lib, but Nero still opens without it, haven't burned anything for a long time. Cheers.

Edited by Jeremy

• 3 weeks later...

Version 2.06 2005-08-04

--------------------------------------

- New removable features.

VCD CD-i player support. (246 KB)

OGG Decoder/Encoder Audio Plugin. (325 KB)

- Turn off caching from disk/network and small files Optional preference setting.

- Revised Nero ShowTime cleanup code. (334 KB)

- for NVE-3.1.0.16.exe

4 new Nero VisionExpress Language *.nls

- Other minor code enhancements.

@Jeremy

I appreciate your suggestions, and I have implemented some of them in my latest version.

As far as further development is concern, I think I'm running out of negligeable files to remove.

I may add a few more removable features in the future if it's determine it will not negatively impact the functionality of Nero and if the reduction in size is worth it.

For example, I've tried removing just the mp3pro features but that effected normal mp3s as well, so I had to toss out that idea.

As tweakers, we like to run things lean and as efficient as possible, but at the same time I like to keep NCAB a bit on the safe side for the majority users.

As for your requested hidden toolbar tweak, I can't get it to work upon Nero first initialization run.

But this tweak does kinda work.

You may need to play around with it, plus the number seemed to change from version to version, with the latest using only 0-4.

Anyways, do what u want with this info.

for %%i in (0 1 2 3 4 5 6) do (reg add "HKCU\Software\Ahead\Nero - Burning Rom\TOOLBARS\BAR-Bar%%i" /v Visible /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f)

hey vc, I just tested out the new version and I must say it works great. I have been doing this using my own method without automation...This is soo much easier. Now, with all that said, I do have a couple of suggestions/additions/critiques.

1. When adding the helpfiles for languages, it would be nice to keep the lightscribe helpfile instead of using your script and then before removing apps, copying it from the nero-*.exe file...I just feel for those adding the helpfiles, they would want all the helpfiles.

2. Some more removals...msxml3.dll, 50comupd.exe, shfolder.exe can all be removed as winxp contains newer versions. Its not a lot, but its at least 2mb.

3. If removing items, in your installer cmd file, you only set for when installing the ultra version, you dont include for those installing the enterprise edition..maybe through pm I could offer suggestions for how to support both versions.

Will think some more about some of the limitations of your script (this is really only about the language files and not being able to use more than one...nothing more than that one limitation that I can see honestly)

PS I tested this in the leftover batch file in the temp dir and removing the nul line for the lightscribe help file worked along with adding the copy nul in the redist section...have not yet tested the ultra/enterprise link removal.

Edited by evilvoice

@evilvoice

1. Sure. I could add a choice for the Lightscribe manual in my next update. Or better yet, it will auto detect you're integrating the English language pack and assume you wish to keep the full version Lightscribe manual too, otherwise it will go ahead and remove it. You think?

2. Yes, I have tried removing these files before and it worked perfectly on my system, but I think that some people reported issues with this. They must of remove something with n-lite. That's why I left them in.

3. okay. PM me.

About the language files, you sure you want to include several language files? I do know about that limitation and I think the coding for that would be extremely messy, so I haven't given it much further thoughts.

Thanks, and keep the suggestions rolling. If it is feaseable and reasonable, I'll will try it. This is a learning experience for me as well.

yea, a verifier for english language would be nice to keep the lightscribe helpfile (but only when integrating the eng lang pack, cuz obviously if they didnt want the help files, no use in having it, and if they didnt use english, they would need to replace it).

Found out the issue with removing those files...as far as msxml3.dll, if you set it to 0kb, nero overwrites the system32 dir's version with the 0kb version...maybe it can be removed altogether like oleaut32.dll...I might test in a bit...right now, Im going to go through and see if any other files were replaced by 0kb versions.

And for the version checking of whether its ultra or enterprise i was thinking maybe we could do it by the serial number, but I dont know if there is a way to have a string and pull the 4th number in that string...(use set serno1=xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx and get the number of the 4th x)..another way would be to have the person enter a 1 for when using enterprise...maybe set ent=1 with a comment saying enter a 1 if using enterprise or leave blank if not...then when deleting the links, do a if %ent%=1 do blah)

here is a pic of the programs folder with nero enterprise...icons are the same...that doesnt change, just the foldername. Also, maybe adding support for NeroDigitalPro would be nice too...its the same as NVE, so mainly it would have to do with determining is NVE is present...maybe an if exist NeroDigitalPro-*.exe do blah else if exist NVE-*.exe do blah else continue. (blah is just an arbitrary term i use...I know what commands it is, but it isnt all that important here :-))

post-13226-1123305282_thumb.jpg

Edited by evilvoice

@vcBlackBox or anyone else, could yu tell witch files contains nero express and what does the files in folders:lib and DSfilter?tnkx

maybe there is a site where all nero files are explained, where they are needed and do i have to keep them for my windows?

Edited by maniaq