how to get ip to point to domain

gummy2

hi

I have windows 2003 with iis installed , dns and active directory

ok I have made a web site , and I can see it if i put the ip number in ,but i would like to see it by www.name.org.uk on the internet not local my freind can see it on the net with useing its ip so i was woundering how do i get the ip to point to name in windows 2003 dns can any one help please

Create a DNS A record with your ISP or if you have your DNS parked at your home server, create the A record there that associates the IP address your using with www.name.org.uk.

That should be all you need.

hi thank you for your reply

I am new to this m8 so bear with me

I have the DNS parked at my home server, how do i or were do i create A record that associates the IP address of the web server iis with the websites name(www.name.org.uk)

i have in the dsn

cached lookups

forward lookup zones

domain_name.com

_msdcs

_sites

_tcp

_udp

domaindnszones

forestdnszones

revers lookup zones

event viewer

You go to however you registered your domain with and from there you point your A record to your internet IP address. Then at your router you will need to forward port 80 and what ever other ports you may need to your servers internal IP address.

If your own DNS is responsible for the domain you want to be able to browse, then you must create a Alias (WWW) record on the root of your zone for the given domain ... lets say your zone is called www.domain.co.uk and when you open your zone, you see

domain.co.uk

_msdcs

_sites

_tcp

_udp

domaindnszones

forestdnszones

first you have to make sure there is host record for the web server. If your server is called Server1 and you can see host record under domain.co.uk then it's ok, otherwise create one. Now create WWW alias record and point it to the Server1 ... update server data files, reload zone, and you're good to go :) (note that it will take some time untill DNS changes propagate over the internet, so your friend might not see it immediately unless he's using your DNS server to resolve domains on the Internet)

thank you for your help

i create a Alias (WWW) so now i have another folder in here

domain.co.uk

_msdcs

_sites

_tcp

_udp

another folder

domaindnszones

forestdnszones

i set my freind comp in Network Connections , properties , internet protocol ( TCP / IP ) , properties , use the following dns server address , and put my wan ip in there , now he can get my website by http://websitesname.org.uk but not by www.websitesname.org.uk have i done something wrong why cant he use www

well if your zone is called domain.co.uk and you create alias (WWW) then www.domain.co.uk should work as well ... let it propagate over the Internet and then tray again ... propagation can take up to 72 hours and ask your friend to use his default DNS server