Promise Fastrak 376/378 Raid Driver

repoman1966

I am trying to do a fresh install of windows xp home. I have copied the raid driver to a floopy disk and am using an external usb floppy drive to load from. Everything in the install goes fine then i get the message " Insert the disk labeled: Promise FastTrak 376/378 Driver diskette into drive A: Press Enter when ready."

Can someone tell me what file windows setup is looking for?

I contacted my laptop support via email and they said that is could be a problem with certain usb floppy drives that xp setup has problems with. Is that likely? My install cd is XP with SP2 from mobile-support.net

Hallo man!

I just bought a promedion d900t laptop with duble scsi har disk that is suppose to work in raid 0 configuration... but i have the same problem...installing the operative system ( xp home edition with s pack 2 ) a certain point it ask for Promise Fastrak 376/378 Raid Driver diskette but it can't read it or find it on the floppy !

how did you solve the problem?

That's a topic that's been beaten to death on this board if you would have searched. Short answer - you can't load drivers from a floppy if you're using an unattended CD. Long answer - search for it.

Where did they say they were using an unattended install? Granted this should be in another section then since this one falls under unattended discussion and support.

You just answered your own question. It should be assumed that questions in this forum are related to unattended setups. If they aren't, then the question should have been posted elsewhere.

I am trying to do a fresh install of windows xp home. I have copied the raid driver to a floopy disk and am using an external usb floppy drive to load from. Everything in the install goes fine then i get the message " Insert the disk labeled: Promise FastTrak 376/378 Driver diskette into drive A: Press Enter when ready."

Can someone tell me what file windows setup is looking for?

I contacted my laptop support via email and they said that is could be a problem with certain usb floppy drives that xp setup has problems with. Is that likely? My install cd is XP with SP2 from mobile-support.net

I've also heard this from my laptop supplier (I have the same problem with a PC that's dead in the water). The initial "F6" worked, and picked up the .INF files etc. I could choose the "Promise FastTrack 376/378" storage device to add support for.

The system goes and loads all the drivers it thinks it needs, prints "Starting Windows", gets me to choose F8 to accept, selects the partition to install to (So I CAN see the device), and then goes into the "Insert the disk" loop.

I'm at my wit's end. anyone else have a solution to this

Well, I've managed to cure my problem with loading the FastTrak driver.It was a compatability problem with certain usb floppy drives. it took a usb floppy drive by Ploojk ( a branded Mitsumi drive ) to get my laptop to still recognise the floppy when installing. I tried 2 other usb floppy's but they were branded sony drives. My laptop is a Rock XTi, P4 3.6;1GB Ram, 2 x60GB 7200 hdd's, ATI X800 mobile graphics chip and 2 x DVD+/-RW

Well, I've managed to cure my problem with loading the FastTrak driver.It was a compatability problem with certain usb floppy drives. it took a usb floppy drive by Ploojk ( a branded Mitsumi drive ) to get my laptop to still recognise the floppy when installing. I tried 2 other usb floppy's but they were branded sony drives. My laptop is a Rock XTi, P4 3.6;1GB Ram, 2 x60GB 7200 hdd's, ATI X800 mobile graphics chip and 2 x DVD+/-RW

I've also manage to fix my problem using "nlite" to integrate the drivers into an ISO image. The only remaining thing to do was to recreate the Boot sector and the MBR.

I'm worried that the USB floppy disks are really unreliable.

Does anyone have a list of devices that are known to be good.

Mine's a NEC USB Floppy (or clone).

Cheers/

Crispi

I've also manage to fix my problem using "nlite" to integrate the drivers into an ISO image. The only remaining thing to do was to recreate the Boot sector and the MBR.

I'm worried that the USB floppy disks are really unreliable.

Does anyone have a list of devices that are known to be good.

Mine's a NEC USB Floppy (or clone).

Cheers/

Crispi

The USB floppy disk drives are not guilty - rather than the bios of your NB.

For the textmode driver you need a floppy drive witch "natively" supported by mainboard bios - such as all the one in your desktiop computers incl. LS-120 drive.

For notebooks w/o a build-in floppy drive you must strickt use the floppy drive shipped with your notebook, then activate the option "USB FDD Legacy Support" in your bios. If you use a "guest" usb floppy drive it may not work because it has another hardware ID as the mainboard bios expected(the usb controller build-in in the drive must be the same with the "original" supported). To check if it works, just put a dos/win9x boot disk and try to boot the dos/win9x.

cheers

your hardware profi