Automatically loading up programs and resizing

shamshasan

Hey folks,

I'm trying to write a script that would load up, after logon, my preferred sets of programs and screens (prefer to be able to set screen resolutions as well).

Any suggestions?

I was thinking of just writing out a batch file (rookie? :blushing: ), although i know that i MOST probably cannot resize the loaded screens through there (after struggling to find a solution i figured that's a compromise i can accept). So something like:

@ECHO OFF
CD\
CLS
ECHO.

ECHO -=-=-=[ RT ++ ]=-=-=-
START firefox.exe "someurl"
ECHO.

ECHO -=-=-=[ Outlook::  ]=-=-=-
START outlook.exe /recycle
ECHO.

ECHO -=-=-=[ MBX Project ]=-=-=-
ECHO Starting Firefox:: cds ...
START firefox.exe "some other url"
ECHO.

ECHO Starting Firefox:: smt...
START firefox.exe "another set of urls"
ECHO.

ECHO -=-=-=[ Swiss Project ]=-=-=-
ECHO Starting Excel...
START excel.exe "..xcl.xls"
ECHO.

ECHO Starting Word:: Proposal...
START winword.exe "...\some.doc"
ECHO.

ECHO Starting Firefox:: ...
START firefox.exe "related urls"
ECHO.

ECHO Starting Notepad:: Questions/Thoughts...
START notepad.exe "C:\Documents and Settings\s\My Documents\~Finland\question.txt"
ECHO.

ECHO -=-=-=[ Rest/Misc. ]=-=-=-
START msnmsgr.exe
START C:\Progra~1\Winamp\winamp.exe
START notepad.exe "C:\Documents and Settings\s\Desktop\things to do.txt"
ECHO Done!
EXIT

Problem with that is that it doesn't load things up in that order. (don't want to use the pause function. Sleep seems sort of inefficient :whistle:

Is this even the right way of going about doing this? Should i instead attempt it through VB script?

Also does anyone know how to open fav urls in one folder in tabs through command prompt (XP) for Firefox? :thumbup

Thanks!

Shams

I would recommend AutoIT for that as it can accomplish almost anything in Windows as long as you know how to. I managed to create a script that asks for you input and then opens up control panel and creates a account with the name that you entered earlier. Click here

Are you familiar with AutoIT?

I would recommend AutoIT for that as it can accomplish almost anything in Windows as long as you know how to. I managed to create a script that asks for you input and then opens up control panel and creates a account with the name that you entered earlier. Click here

Are you familiar with AutoIT?

creates an account? :huh: i don't want to do that... just deal with the current account.

No i'm not familliar with AutoIT. Any links? tutorials? briefs?

Thanks!

Yeah, I understand that you don't wanna do that. It was just an example. AutoIT can do many things and I'm certain that it can help you

http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/

It takes a while to learn everything but, it's not hard at all. Just start out with the examples that it already contains. Good luck. Just post if you need more help.

Hope this helps