Hobbyist with attitude

tbs

OK, I’m no doubt going to get flamed to hell for writing this, fools rush in…

I understand fully why wraith has become fed up with those who could not make it past the eula or post questions without reading this site or the documentation. I’ve been dropping in here for about a year or so, have a very low post count and an xploded (ver 1.1.2) xp dvd of 3+ gigs. I’ve no prior scripting/programming experience but plenty of patience and a willingness to learn. Xplode has been a lot of fun.

I checked in today to see if a new version, (with file I/O) was available but sadly the download has been pulled for all ‘hobbyists’. It’s wraith’s call, but is it not storing up problems for v5 if users can’t get hold of v4 and learn that first?

This is not a plea for v4, I’ll wait for v5 and tackle the problems I have with it the same way I’ve done so far. I feel in many ways xplode is a victim of its own success, the wider the user base, the more ‘dumb’ questions/users you’re going to get. It’s a shame a few members lack the maturity to respect the author of this great program, some of the posts directed at wraith are just insulting, others make me laugh because I’ve been here long enough to know what’s coming next, the ones that get the downloads pulled – they just depress me.

If you are new to this forum, - and have read this far -, please give wraith and the other gurus on this board a break and do some work with xplode before posting. The rest of us hobbyists are looking to develop our understanding and abilities, don’t hold us back.

Thanks to all who make this site the great source of information it is, cheers wraith – don’t let the h*bbyists get you down!

tbs.

The main problem with this, atleast the current situation... is that people could not do the ONE thing the author requested. Answering questions related to syntax error or such, I have no problem answering. But when the author tells you to read the EULA, and you don't, then you shouldn't use the program. I personally like Wraith's new idea on how to deploy XPlode, and we'll see how that goes.

But seriously, concerning the whole EULA thing. After the 200th post of people saying "I've read the EULA, but the button doesn't activate" Wraith just got fed up and posted a screen shot of what to click to activate the button. But wait, people STILL asked saying they read the thing? SOme people MIGHT have had legitimate problems, but without proper proof, or what you have done to your system, then it's user error and as such user fault.

I know there are going to be a whole horde of problems associated with X5.

I have a few ideas how I'm going to alleviate it, but a lot of it is up in the air at the moment.

I've had ideas for X5 bouncing around in my head for a while, and while I think I've come up with a final solution, I'm not entirely sure how long it'll take to implement, nor where I'll find the time.

As a software developer, the one thing that I find most insulting and infurirating is that the user complains about some issue in the program that you wrote and that issue was covered in the documentation that you provided with the program. If I took the time to write the documentation, then the user should at least take the time to read it before bugging the author. That is what it's there for. If someone has a problem that is covered by the docs, then they will be ignored, completely, utterly, and with prejiduce. No answer to their posts or anything. Unless of course a bug is found, which is a different story.

Wraith, I don't blame you one bit for being p*ss*d off at these incompetent fools who cannot read something as simple as a EULA, which is the one thing that you have asked them to do before using your program. If it was me, then I would add something else to make them read the documentation before they use it. At least it will act as an intelligence test to see if they can figure out how use the program.

Hardline attitude? You bet, and I will not appologize for it either. If you want to use my program, they you will have to prove to me that you read the documentation before I help you.

<...>

At least it will act as an intelligence test to see if they can figure out how use the program.

<...>

If you want to use my program, they you will have to prove to me that you read the documentation before I help you.

<...>

You go girl! :P

PRECISELY why I made the EULA the way it is.

Wraith, I do hope you find the time – I really need an excuse to update my pc.

I missed the screen shot posted, I never had a problem with the EULA/activation thing though, makes me wonder how some people make it through the day.

Reading documentation? I don’t think this will ever improve. I belong to a few forums and always there are posters who never rtfm. I even have (intelligent) friends who would rather wait a few days and ask me a question than go start/help & support.

Maybe with X5 a download could be made available, can’t get through the EULA – download this file and solve all you xplode worries, ;)

Anyway, it’s Friday night - I’m off to find my partners F1 button, seems I’ve violated the EULA, don’t you just hate those supplemental agreements….

Wraith, just think... If you made your application id*** proof only idiots would use it, and that’s not the case at all! Your application attracts smart intelligent people who respect the hard work and effort put in to XPlode.

I for one have not had the chance to use your application but I really can't wait. I'm to the point of being excited about this release. And because of my enthusiasm I am going to request if I could be put on some type of list for notification.

Even though I haven't had the opportunity to use XPlode I look forward to the next release. Good luck and Godspeed on your mission for accomplishment.

:thumbup

Huh?

I really don't get the people that asked those questions about the eula :P First time I tried Xplode that eula appeared, read it and whopa, no problems at all... So all those people that ask those questions can't read? :D

Ive only owned a computer for about 2 years now, so I am a complete and total noob.

But even I wonder how a TEXT based internet can attract so many illiterate people.

Thats just my 2 cents. I never even tried XPlode, but in this thread I felt your pain.