Networking Problem.

FthrJACK

Everytime i turn one of the machines off on the network when i turn it back on i have to run the network setup wizard on it again and sometimes also on the machine connected to the modem. this also happens at college using a hub. its infuriating. the machines network connections all still show as live but you cant access the shares or get on the internet until the wizard is run again. Any ideas? once ive set the network up it should work when i reboot still, its a pain in the butt :)

Gee FTHRJack,

Not to be disrespectful but is it something you're doing, or in this case not doing? I've read somewhere that using the Network wizard in XP is a BIG PAIN IN THE BUTT. Are you having to rejoin the domain everytime you log in? Try joing the domain manually without relying on the wizard. Let me know what you discover

Gee FTHRJack,

Not to be disrespectful but is it something you're doing, or in this case not doing?

LOL what am i the pope? heh

i think your right hashdump, and yep, thats exactly what im having to do by running the wizard :sorcerer . i just want to turn on and be on the network, automatically without having to login or anything. but obviously dont want annonymous access or guest access to shares.

**Edit:

BTW: This is me.. on a networked pc, its for a customer, i posted without thinking lol

Just out of curiosity, would the problematic computer have some issue with the mandatory profile that it's setup with? I'm assuming it's obtaining a IP address using DHCP, does the PC know where to look for the DHCP sever?

only guessing :)

If you're getting your IP address from a DHCP/NAT server and the lease time is too low then it can expire while it's still active and would need to be refreshed.

I think the command is "ipconfig /renew" for most Windows versions. This was set too low on a Windows 2k server @ work before and cause problems on machines that were left on all the time. Same symptoms on the clients. Only way to really fix it was to change the settings on the server.

the ip would be renewed by the pc, but the main wouldnt allow shared folder access or internet access, now would i be able network shares on any machine that had been rebooted, unless i went to the computer that had been rebooted and ran the network wizard or did ipconfig /release then /renew.

problems been solved now, see: http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&id=4

:)

@Hashdump, im not on a domain, but a workgroup. im not running a machine with advanced server on it or something, if your network is made up of 98/xp/nt/2k machines then its workgroup not domain, i dont have to sign in as its trusted network, i dont know how to set that up either (if you do please tell me).

i wish i had more network admin experiance, ill do a course on it soon as they start again at the local college. A+ has been easy so far ---- i wish i had the money to do MSCE :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...