Windows 98/ME support for hardware and software

Link21

Should Windows 98/ME still be supported by hardware and software manufacturers  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Should Windows 98/ME still be supported by hardware and software manufacturers

• Yes
    • No
    • Definitely Yes, Windows 98/ME are great and quality OSes
    • NO WAY!! 98/ME are junk OSes. It ought to be 2K/XP only by now
    • Depends on the situation
    • It's hard to say

Doesn't look like the poll results are in your favor, huh Link. lol, I actually thought more would be in favor of having 98/Me trashed, but I guess I was wrong luckily. Perhaps more people have gotten a more open minded view of software, such as not judging OS's by age and kernel, but more on their own opinion and experiences.

I have made a poll about this at some oither boards, and the resulst have always been in favoring of trashing Windows 98/ME. This is the only forums where the poll results favored keeping Windows 98/ME around.

Yet this isn't just some *other board*. Perhaps because the other boards you spoke of were only interested in the mainstream. That and with you constantly borking out 'stop voting for them to live, vote for them to die!' they probably just went along with to get you to stop spamming their boards.

:P here here.At msfn.org no os is too small too old and everyones out to lend a hand and help out a newbie with anything usefull in aiding their betterment of their os.its not a bunch of 15 years agreeing with the status quo.Nobody cares what os you run only in helping you keep it running whether its win 95 or w2k,to come in to a forum hell bend on spreading hatred on any os is just pure stupidity and to constantly do it over and over is moronic.Is there nothing better you can do?why not offer help to this community instead of bashing it.Can i get a amen!

Yet this isn't just some *other board*. Perhaps because the other boards you spoke of were only interested in the mainstream. That and with you constantly borking out 'stop voting for them to live, vote for them to die!' they probably just went along with to get you to stop spamming their boards.

All thanks to people like you, those piece of junk opertaing systems have still been supported by hardware and software manufacturers for way TOO LONG!!! :realmad::realmad:

Trash piece of junk Windows 98/ME already. It is a Windows NT and Linux world from now on!! No games produced as far back as 2003 had any purpose supporting POS Windows 98/ME!!

All thanks to people like you, those piece of junk opertaing systems have still been supported by hardware and software manufacturers for way TOO LONG!!! :realmad::realmad:

You're quite welcome link. Glad to be of service :D

Just to note: I don't influence the hardware/software manufacturers in any way. I just use what works and never did ask for anything to be 'written for 9x'. If something won't work in 98 i'll just find one that does. If I still can't find it I'll write it or try to anyway.

Edited by Chozo4

Only ignorant people think Windows XP mean low performance!! Windows XP means high solid performance with a good quality kernel. If you strip out all the bloat, Windows XP has very high performance.
Even after nLiting, it's a sluggish elephant compared to a virgin 98se install.
Linux means extremely high performance, even higher than Windows 2000/XP.
Linux is comparable to 2K/XP but much more complex and difficult to maintain.
Windows 98/ME means low performance. Windows 98/ME operating systems are pieces of junk compared to other 32-bit operating systems. Why do you think NVIDIA released drivers for Linux for the GeForce 7800 series video cards but not for Windows 98/ME? It isn't only economics being against Windows 98 users. If they were only trying to do a nod to Microsoft and only drive support based on economics, they would have released drivers for only Windows 2000/XP and above and no non-MS operating systems. But they also released drivers for Linux inclduing SLI support. That should tell you that they didn't release drivers for Windows 98/ME because they are bad opertaing systems that can't handle PCI-Express motherboards. And the GeForce 7800 video card is only available in PCI-Express! :D:D

Economics are against you because Windows 98/ME are bad operating systems. They have a horrible core!!

Win9x being low performance? Quite possibly ME, but definitely not 95/98/98se. They are fast and efficient. In fact, if you took an nLited XP and changed all the icons, names, themes, etc. so that it looked exactly like 98se, you'd still feel the difference. The NT-series of OSs have a distinctly higher response time and sluggishness that is very apparent. I've tried this before, so I know.

Regarding driver support, I am quite surprised to see that some hardware manufacturers actually have realmode DOS drivers, regularly updated, for their newest products.

Windows XP is the standard. Linux, Windows 9x, and even Windows ME are not.

• 2 weeks later...
Doesn't look like the poll results are in your favor, huh Link. lol, I actually thought more would be in favor of having 98/Me trashed, but I guess I was wrong luckily. Perhaps more people have gotten a more open minded view of software, such as not judging OS's by age and kernel, but more on their own opinion and experiences.

I don't judge opertaing systems based on the age. I judge them based on the technology used in them and the kernel. Windows ME was released after Windows 2000, but it is far worse than Windows 2000. Windows 98 was released after Windows NT 4,0, but Windows 98 is worse than Windows NT 4.