Microcode updates - UPDATE.SYS

Petr

Excuse me, microcode updates are for all languages (in particular in italian)?

It's language indipendent, right?

In 98 SE SP is there this update?

no, Max_04. UPDATE.SYS is NOT language independent. If you look at the Properties of update.sys on the Version tab and click on Language, it will tell you if it is for a certain Language. if it says "Language Neutral" then it is language independent.

in this case, update.sys is NOT language independent. the update.sys patches provided at MDGx's web site are in English.

if you can make Italian versions of the updated update.sys files for Win98se/ME, please do so.

Edited by erpdude8

Excuse me, microcode updates are for all languages (in particular in italian)?

It's language indipendent, right?

In 98 SE SP is there this update?

no, Max_04. UPDATE.SYS is NOT language independent. If you look at the Properties of update.sys on the Version tab and click on Language, it will tell you if it is for a certain Language. if it says "Language Neutral" then it is language independent.

in this case, update.sys is NOT language independent. the update.sys patches provided at MDGx's web site are in English.

if you can make Italian versions of the updated update.sys files for Win98se/ME, please do so.

Total commander says that UPDATE.SYS of MDGX and Petr Mirrors are same file.

Therefore your consideration is false.

Edited by Max_04

• 2 months later...

What is UPDATE.SYS for? Sorry to appear so dim but what's been said in this thread so far is a little above my head. I've got 'AMD Athlon XP 2100+ 1733 Mhz MAX: 3000 Mhz' on my machine' :blink:

To my knowledge, Petr added only Intel Pentium III/IV strings into UPDATE.SYS, so if you are using an AMD CPU, it won't make any difference.

But I suggest using the WinME UPDATE.SYS 4.90.3001 [modded by Petr], because in my experience is 100% compatible with Win98 SE, and may have more AMD CPUs listed than the Win98 SE UPDATE.SYS.

* Unofficial Windows ME Updated CPU Microcode UPDATE.SYS 4.90.3001 Fix includes most current Intel CPUs:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=44388

Direct download [168 KB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/MEUPDSYS.EXE

To install it on 98 SE:

1. Extract UPDATE.SYS from MEUPDSYS.EXE by running from a DOS box [example using C:\TEMP as extract folder]:

MD C:\TEMP

if not present on your computer. Then run:

MEUPDSYS.EXE /C /Q /T:C:\TEMP

2. Copy UPDATE.SYS to %windir%\system32\drivers .

3. Reboot.

P.S.:

UPDATE.SYS 4.90.3001 installs also as part of 98SE2ME options 1 + 2:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46349

HTH

• 6 months later...

I have a Pentium 2 Overdrive (replaces the Pentium Pro)

Does that mean I should stay way clear of this update since it is implied its support was removed from this update???

Edited by galahs