XP deployment over the network

ycam

Hi,

We want to deploy windows XP with SP 2 for all of our desktops, our desktops are at diffrent locations. We want the system to be fully automated so that there is minimum IT interaction during the OS upgrade.

We are using Netware servers, we want all the user data and settings to be migrated. We are open to both the options of Upgrade and clean install, but personally i would prefer clean installation.

Uptil now we have considered unattended installation but got into few problems, i can elaborate them if someone thinks this is a good technique and also considered deploying the images, that will be hard in a way as we have diffrent subnets and also more importantly diffrent hardwares, that way we will have to have atleast 10 to 20 model images.

Any suggestion that will help me start the research will be really appreciated.

thanks

One of the most vexing problems I've seen with SP2 upgrades is the loss of networking ability. And most of these folks have a casual network of 2 to 3 computers that can't see each other after SP2. You have 400! Best of luck.

Portal for MS newsgroups/networking.

See: PcBanter

Treeman

I would look into the Altiris Client Management Suite.

It has tools for imaging PC's, unattended installs of PC's, Software Deployment, and PC 'personality' migration among other things.

Definitely the best option for your scenario in my opinion.

Using unattended on 1500+ stations... USMT for profile migration, USD for application installations, Profile Maker for configuring profiles (outlook etc.)...

I think this is probably the best way, it is working great (Zero touch installation).

Nope, it is quite easy - in my usual customer I got (wait a sec) 1647 machines at the moment. But because I am working as deployer, I am making deployment projects for many other companies. Specially small companies are great as testing department - bigger are just slowly moving towards latest technologies.

Using unattended on 1500+ stations... USMT for profile migration, USD for application installations, Profile Maker for configuring profiles (outlook etc.)...

I think this is probably the best way, it is working great (Zero touch installation).

I'd be intrested in seeing a tutorial on how to do this

Is there more info on your method around anywere?

Nope :( I will make a series of presentations for Microsoft and publish few articles in ComputerWorld about it now, but both in czech language :(

I would recommend Desktop Deployment Resource Kit from Jerry Honeycutt, it is really impressing book (I found out he uses almost same method as me, except WinPE as initial medium). Even it is book from Microsoft, there are link to many tools from different companies (BartPE is considered to be better than WinPE, SysInternals etc.)

Put me down for RIS as well. :thumbup I use it to build 4500+ PC's over 80 sites. (takes some time over a slow link but you could put RIS on a laptop and take it to site if you wanted). We have integrated SP2, latest patches and also installs all are standard apps (MS Office) and clients (Citrix, novel, e-mail, Java, anti virus....)

We run both Novel and MS servers and it works great. :thumbup

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=36833&st=10

Have a look here for my documentation for setting up the server.