windows 2003 SP1 unstable machine

osont

I installed Windows 2003 SP1 on my server.

Prior to the install the server had been up and running for months with no problems and I never had any problems with any of the windows updates before.

The SP1 installation appeared to work fine. It gave no errors and the PC rebooted.

I ran the security configuration wizard and accepted most of the screens with the recommended options. I did not use the windows firewall since I have a third party firewall on my server.

However now my server has become unstable. If I use IE or explorer for more than about 10 minutes, these 2 applications lock up. They work fine when first started but suddenly don't respond anymore. I can use other apps when these have hung, but if I kill either of the above and restart them the whole machine just hangs and requires a cold boot to get it up again.

There are no event log errors or any errors that I can find reported (IE: third party firewall). I disabled the firewall just in case this was causing the server to hang but I still found the server hung without this running.

My guess is that something has screwed the network somehow and it is this that is hanging my machine. However it is very difficult to identify the problem when the machine works fine over the network for the first 10 minutes or so.

I noticed that SP1 does add several new items to the network. I tried disabling these as well but the server still hung.

I tried uninstalling SP1 and the first time it hung. I tried a second time and luckily it uninstalled.

The server is again working flawlessly with no hanging and no changes to it aftre the uninstall.

Any ideas what I should look for if I try and install SP1 again.

I think you should call Microsoft Support, all calls related to the security and service packs are free of charge ... another good thing is if you have TechNet Plus subsription, then you have 2 free support calls in the subscription year ...

Usually upgrading to SP1 is not the preferred method. I know it is allowed. This might have not happened to you if you slipstreamed SP1 to your Server 2003 CD and did a clean install. :)

How do i slipstreamed SP1 to my Server 2003 CD ? i don`t think i can do it because i have i have closed the cd for use the rest of it ?

Cot you tell me how i slipstream sp1 because i am a newbie to the deeper meaning of any Windows version server or desktop, so please explean it to a person like me who don`t have US english or any other version of english as my first language ?

PS: can i use this guide ?

http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2003_sp1_slipstreaming.htm

Windows Server 2003 SP Slipstreaming

How can I slipstream service packs into the Windows Server 2003 media?

Do i really have to do a fresh install of windows 2003 server i am in the way of convert it to a workstation and this is the only problem i have for now : see my question :

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=44379

Best regards

the-matrix

Edited by the-matrix

Usually upgrading to SP1 is not the preferred method. I know it is allowed. This might have not happened to you if you slipstreamed SP1 to your Server 2003 CD and did a clean install. :)

Huh.

I have installed service packs on Windows NT, 2000 and now 2003 for years and never had any problem doing so.

Upgrading the OS from a different OS line (NT -> 2000, 2000 -> XP, etc) might prove shaky, but installing service packs is usually definitely not. Most often, it's not that different from installing a bunch of hotfixes.

If you think administrators have nothing else to do than reinstalling from scratch every time a service pack is out, you're obviously either kidding me or ignorant. Pick one. :thumbup

Huh.

I have installed service packs on Windows NT, 2000 and now 2003 for years and never had any problem doing so.

Upgrading the OS from a different OS line (NT -> 2000, 2000 -> XP, etc) might prove shaky, but installing service packs is usually definitely not. Most often, it's not that different from installing a bunch of hotfixes.

If you think administrators have nothing else to do than reinstalling from scratch every time a service pack is out, you're obviously either kidding me or ignorant. Pick one. :thumbup

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Huh.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

As you may now have found out US english is not my first language so i don`t understand all meaning of all word in your language and another thing is i don`t understand much about the deeper meaning of PC so much and off all the fine IT words you all are talking about is like russian to me.

Best regards

the-martrix

People, don't misslead other people with advices about not installing SP onto existing OS, because, you just prove your lack of knowledge ...

installing SP onto existing OS is reccomended and OK! No one on the face of earth would reinstall production servers with SP integrated into his/her CD! So please don't spread these stupid conclusions because you can create more harm than you even can imagine.

Service Pack is to be installed, of course it's reccomended to make a test run on the same or similar configuration prior to the deployment ... any issue with service pack is considered as security issue, and that call is free with MS support!