How to start after motherboard exchange

Nilfred

My VIA Chipset motherboard gone, so I replace with a SiS chipset one temporary, but XP refuses to start. Is there a way to start XP with this new hardware?

I ordered a nforce2 mobo, will arrive tomorrow, I'm looking for a way to no reformat when mobos are exchanged.

Thanks in advance.

If your new mobo will arrive tomorrow, I would just wait until then. As for popping in the new mobo without reformatting... I would seriously reconsider. A pal of mine tried that 6 months ago and even though he did manage to do it, he experienced nothing but problems until he finally took my advice and did a clean install.

Besides, being a member of this forum, you probably have an unattended XP CD hanging around... just pop it in and go have a nap. :zzz:

Good luck!

You cannot swap out motherboards unless they are the same make, model and bios revision if you don't want to do a clean install.

You probebly can, but it is way too much hassle.

You would have to clear out ALL harware info from the Registry and somehow re-detect it on next boot. This is an issue because there are certain devices that windows only detects during the install period (specifially mother board components like Memory Controllers and the like).

I repair install may ease the pain of the swap, but it will not fix anything, only loosely patch it.

I assume you have tried F8 safe mode? If no luck boot from install cd and do "repair" installation. This will leave all your programs and files intact.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All safe mode options tested so far with no luck.
Besides, being a member of this forum, you probably have an unattended XP CD hanging around... just pop it in and go have a nap. :zzz:<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is the only thing I have, but the "R" option did not appear after "Detecting old versions of windows...". I think I have a too unattended XP CD. :blushing: So how do I bring the repair console back from my unattended XP CD?

It is not going to work, even if you do a repair install.  You have to replace it with the same board or do a new install.

Not True

I do this several times a day.

Only in some rare situations will users still have issues.

That is the only thing I have, but the "R" option did not appear after "Detecting old versions of windows...". I think I have a too unattended XP CD.  So how do I bring the repair console back from my unattended XP CD?

Do not use the first "r" option.

go thru as if your doing a fresh install, then rather then format select repari and then select leave system intact

|Drew|

That is the only thing I have, but the "R" option did not appear after "Detecting old versions of windows...". I think I have a too unattended XP CD.  So how do I bring the repair console back from my unattended XP CD?

Do not use the first "r" option.

go thru as if your doing a fresh install, then rather then format select repari and then select leave system intact<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My unnatended XP CD stops at partition time, so I select the primary partition and hit [Enter]. Then got [L] Delete current partition [ESC] diferent folder [F3] exit.

So maybe I should change anything else in winnt.sif...

Don't use the unattend CD if you are trying to do a repair. The purpose of the unattend CD is to basicly answer all of the questions that windows asks during installation. The unattend installation CD is just that installation not repair. Use your regular XP CD and choose the second repair option not the first.

Got It:

1. Remove/rename winnt.sif from I386 dir of your unnattended XP CD
  2. Bypass the [F2] (ASR)
  3. Bypass the first [R] (Recovery Console), hit [Enter] instead to install now
  4. [F8] Accept the EULA
  5. At last press [R] on the selected partition.

Testing on vmware... I'm so exciting right now :w00t: I'll report back in 2 days... :thumbup

Few things pop up:

• Regional Settings
  • CD-KEY

Start to missing my UA CD :P