Can Bootfix.bin run logic?

duomenox

First of all I apologize for not doing much research, my dealine for this project has been bumped WAY up.

I was curious to know if anyone has modified the bootfix.bin (the file that prompts you to "Press any key to boot from CD...") so that it will check for a file on the hard drive before prompting?

Basically, I want to have a CD automatically boot unless it can find a file on the hard drive. I need to make a 100% unattended install cd for windows xp (which I have completed) but the CD requires a reboot after ghosting the HD. I do not want users to have to press any key to boot from the CD, but I don't want it to keep looping at the ghost phase.

(I have to use ghost because of some smecific utility partitions and I don't want to use WinPE or BartPE)

Ideally, the CD would boot, ghost the empty HD Image with a fully set up partition table and clean formatted partitions (and a file called restored.dat)

The PC automatically reboots, then when the CD starts to boot again, it finds the Restored.dat file on the HD and allows the computer to boot from the HD instead of the CD... where the XP install is already waiting to continue.

Any Ideas?

Thanks for the help.

unfortunately before boot there is no os running hence no way to test for a file. it's one of those chicken-egg problems. it would require some sort of low-level disk read hack if possible at all.

I had a feeling it would be difficult. I will just have to rely on user interaction.

I did not want the user to have to do anything untill the OS was all loaded and ready to go. Some of the uses I work with do not follow directions well... one of my big reasons for needing an all encompasing Restore CD :)

Thanks for the replies if anyone just happens to come accross something that work, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Some of the uses I work with do not follow directions well...

And some too well... no lie, I had a call the other day asking where the "Any" key was. Ya can't make this stuff up!