Software installation first ...

midiboy

Hi Benjamin,

another topic today ... :P

I was wondering ... since it is currently not possible to define which user installs a given software I came up with the idea to first call Wihu from runonceex using the /SkipSettings /UseCurrent switches to let it install all the software as an administrator.

Then, afterwards, I would like to call Wihu again for the user installation (using the /SkipSoftware switch)

However, there seems to be the problem, that Wihu does not exit automatically after Software installation is finished. Instead it waits for the user to acknowledge the installation. Also, it shows the reboot button which I don´t want a user to accidentally turn on.

Now, what is the best way to solve that ?

I want to call Wihu for the software installation part first. Then, after installation is finished, Wihu should exit automatically without rebooting and without requiring the user to press the OK button.

Then, Wihu would be called again from runonceex simply for user creation.

Is this currently possible ? If so, please tell me how.

Thanks,

Alex

PS: You said there are too few newbie questions in here ... I hope I qualified for the newbie of the day title with this message :lol:

Hi again,

seems like the only thing missing to do what I want is some sort of switch that will tell Wihu to exit automatically after installation. Seems like there is no such switch yet.

There is the /SkipRestart switch, the /Autoinstall switch and the /Autoexit Switch but the latter exits Wihu without installation. Something like a /Autoexit switch would be great that would work in combination with /SkipRestart and would simply cause Wihu to exit after installation is complete.

Don´t know if this is easy to do with the current code ...

Bye,

Alex

hehe,

sorry, me again.

It seems like Wihu will exit automatically anyway if /autoInstall is being used. This is good actually. Is there a way to influence the time it takes Wihu to exit after installation ?

But this looks good anyway.

Bye,

Alex

Hi again, Benjamin ...

I think I found a small bug ... :D

I am now starting Wihu the first time using those switches:

"%CDROM%\Setup\Wihu\wihu.exe /INI=%ini1% /beep=4 /NoCancel /NoRestartChange /SkipSettings /UseCurrent /AutoInstall=120 /SkipRestart"

As far as I understand it, the /AutoInstall and the /beep switch will stop the countdown/beeping if the user interacts once with Wihu. This works fine normally but not in the above combination with the other switches. Instead, when using the above switches the countdown and the beeping continue even though I am actively working in Wihu. Could you maybe fix this soon ?

Thanks,

Alex

Hi Benjamin,

I just found a work around: If I move the /AutoInstall switch to be the first switch, Wihu will correctly stop the countdown if I do something in Wihu:

"%CDROM%\Setup\Wihu\wihu.exe /INI=%ini1% /AutoInstall=999 /beep=4 /NoCancel /NoRestartChange /SkipSettings /UseCurrent /SkipRestart" /f

Does this mean that the location of the switches are in any way important to the operation of Wihu ?

Bye,

Alex

if /AutoInstall is specified, WIHU will not exit WIHU immediately but it will wait a fixed time of 10 seconds until WIHU will exit automatically.

Does this mean that the location of the switches are in any way important to the operation of Wihu

No it shouldn't, but I'll check this soon.

Benjamin Kalytta

Hi Benjamin,

I just tested this again in more detail and I have to agree: the position of the switches do not matter. I know the reason for my troubles: Sometimes I only clicked on the Wihu top menu or in the right hand help pane or on the scrollbar. This does not stop the countdown.

But clicking on one of the software entries or any of the buttons stops the countdown.

SORRY ! This really was a stupid topic after all ;-)

Bye,

Alex

Hi again,

as an addon ....

even though I may have acted like a newbie this time (by not trying to click into more areas of Wihu to stop the countdown) I may not be the only one doing this (if I can do it, I am sure others can too).

So why not make Wihu stop the countdown no matter where I click in Wihu ?

Bye,

Alex

Hi again,

as an addon ....

even though I may have acted like a newbie this time (by not trying to click into more areas of Wihu to stop the countdown) I may not be the only one doing this (if I can do it, I am sure others can too).

So why not make Wihu stop the countdown no matter where I click in Wihu ?

Bye,

Alex

You know, I was wondering about that myself. It seems that you have to do certian things in order to make the countdown stop. Because Windows is handling the menuing, it may not be possible to make the countdown stop when the user opens a menu but only when a user actually selects a menu item because a selection generates an event code and sends it to the event handler in the program.

• 3 months later...