Windows File Protection

Zoofield

Has anyone tried the hacked dll? If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out my thread by the same name....

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=77293

I think I'll give that a shot.

If it doesn't work, I'm going to reformat/reinstall again but using the regular Windows...because as minor a problem as it seems, the whole WFP dialogue thing really does ruin the nLite experience for me.

• 11 months later...
...the whole WFP dialogue thing really does ruin the nLite experience for me.

So, disable WFP in nLite... :blink:

+1

yeah it's been another full year, and I just thought I'd give nlite another try.. still running into that. I'd rather not disable windows file protection, but will if that's the only solution.

Just to let you know that this issue is probably solved with the help of ElTorqiro.

I say probably because I'm the only one who tested it, you'll get your hands on it tomorrow probably.

Just to let you know that this issue is probably solved with the help of ElTorqiro.

I say probably because I'm the only one who tested it, you'll get your hands on it tomorrow probably.

Very good to hear. Until then, is there something I can do to get around it? I set up a computer using my slipstreamed disc and got the Windows File Protection popup. I inserted the slipstreamed cd, and it seemed to be ok with that. It hasn't come up again, but all I've done since then is install software. I'll have to play around a bit more, and if it comes up again I'll just disable WFP. The employee the computer is being deployed to starts in a couple days so I don't really have time to redo the OS and software install process.

thanks for all your hard work!

I just tried it out doing the following:

1) Copied a virgin Windows XP Professional Corporate CD's source files to my test box.

2) Slipstreamed SP2 using the /integrate switch

3) Test using VPC2007. Works fine.

4) Slipstream a bunch of updates using the following: http://smithii.com/slipstream_xpsp2.

5) Test using VPC2007. Works fine.

6) nLite 1.4 beta Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Media Player 11 (using the WMP11 Slipstreamer)

7) Test using VPC2007. No Windows File Protection popups! (1.3.5 had the WFP popups)

8) Slipstream remaining updates using nLite 1.4 beta (including updates for IE7 and WMP11).

9) Test using VPC2007. Windows File Protection problem is back...

Just FYI. :)

Edited by killerb255

I just tried it out doing the following the following:

6) nLite 1.4 beta Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Media Player 11 (using the WMP11 Slipstreamer)

7) Test using VPC2007. No Windows File Protection popups! (1.3.5 beta had the WFP popups)

8) Slipstream remaining updates using nLite 1.4 beta (including updates for IE7 and WMP11).

Thanks for your hard work testing this out, killerb255. Can you please do one last test, and compare the sfcfiles.dll file from a build you have that does not have WFP popups, with a build that you *do* get the popups in? If I'm reading it right, something must be happening between steps 7 and 8 above, which from your description points to something to do with IE7 or WMP11. I don't use IE7, but apparently it's a big update so maybe it does something to sfcfiles.dll. So If you can save a copy of sfcfiles.dll from step 7, then compare it to an sfcfiles.dll in step 9.

sfcfiles.dll is in %systemroot%\system32\sfcfiles.dll

Basically I just need to know if the file is identical from both your steps 7 & 9 or if it changes at all.

Hi as above, I am installing windows 2003 server/enterprise and had the same problems, WFP. But when i re did it, but excluding the hotfixs, the build was fine and i had no WPA. I am using VMware 6. I had used the slip nlite slipstream option for hotfixs, but now have stopped

1. W3k server, slipstreamed service pack, using MS switch, used nlite to install hotfixs -- result wfp

2 W3k server, slipstreamed service pack, using MS switch, left hotfixs out -- result no wfp

3 W3k server, slipstreamed service pack, using MS switch, slipstreamed hotfixs using /integrate -- result no wfp

so if i use ms integrate switch on the hot fixs, it all works fine...but why doesn't nlite then....

Edited by zxe

7) Test using VPC2007. No Windows File Protection popups! (1.3.5 beta had the WFP popups)

Thanks for your hard work testing this out, killerb255. Can you please do one last test, and compare the sfcfiles.dll file from a build you have that does not have WFP popups, with a build that you *do* get the popups in? If I'm reading it right, something must be happening between steps 7 and 8 above, which from your description points to something to do with IE7 or WMP11. I don't use IE7, but apparently it's a big update so maybe it does something to sfcfiles.dll. So If you can save a copy of sfcfiles.dll from step 7, then compare it to an sfcfiles.dll in step 9.

Basically I just need to know if the file is identical from both your steps 7 & 9 or if it changes at all.

Sure thing, bub. :) I'll probably have the test results sometime by the end of the week.

Windows File Protection popping up when installing non-Microsoft drivers when Service Pack 2 is slipstreamed or integrated is a known issue.

THE ONLY SOLUTION IS TO *NOT* SLIPSTREAM OR INTEGRATE SERVICE PACK 2!

Okay, I have the sfcfiles.dll from Steps, 3, 5, and 7 attached.

I made a mistake during Step 7 before and left the slipstreamed XP ISO mounted. Therefore, the WFP popups wouldn't show up.

I repeated Steps 3, 5, and 7 to get these files, and I got a WFP popup on Step 7. I didn't bother repeating Step 9 for that reason...

step3.7z

step5.7z

step7.7z

I just created a slipstreamed XP Pro SP2 Disk using nLite 1.4...

I only slipstreamed SP2 and added the nVidia RAID Drivers for textmode installation. With previous versions of this disk I would get multiple WFP popups. Is it likely I will still get WFP popups becuase I installed a non-microsoft driver, or should version 1.4 solve my WFP problems?

Thanks,

Chad

killerb255, thank you.

crwagner, you should not get a popup because of nLite with that configuration no matter the version, you must have done something more or at least left pages selected which you didn't use?

killerb255, thank you.

crwagner, you should not get a popup because of nLite with that configuration no matter the version, you must have done something more or at least left pages selected which you didn't use?

I created the original disk several months ago (the one I had problems with). Now that I think about it I did remove the MSN Internet Service from the install as well. Maybe there is something else I did wrong. I have used nLite serveral times before for other motherboards without problems, but this was the first time I tried removing a component...

I will be trying the disk I made with version 1.4 on Friday. Sounds like everything should be good.

Thanks for the reply.