Windows File Protection

Zoofield

I hate Error Reporting. If there is anything I want to remove the most, it certainly is Error Reporting. Is Dr. Watson just a part of Error Reporting?? It mentions that it is part of the Windows debugging engine?? Is Dr. Watson needed for anything else besides Error Reporting?? Is it needed for Windows to create log files for crash dump data??

What is the memory error that has been encountered by removing Dr. Watson and Error Reporting?? WHat happens and what are the symptoms??

Perhaps the one thing I'm still hoping for is a way to retain PDFcreator (and or any other PDF printers) functionality despite removing everything. I believe printer drivers need to be retained, but really, for me this is unnecessary - all I require is an ability to create PDFs every once and a while.

Actually, isn't this system restore related too? Gosh... to confusing...

Cheers,

James

Dr. Watson and Error Reporting thing with printers is found by Glider, thanks once more, when there is no more to remove I'll be back to addapt those.

What do you exactly mean? Do you mean that some printers depend on Dr. Watson and Error Reporting, and you receive memory errors when trying to install Printer drivers if you remove them?

Does removing Dr. Watson and Error Reporting only create problems in the latest version of nlite?? Or does it also happen in 0.99.9 as well? I use 0.99.9 because it seems to be less buggy than version 1.0.

Link21, well some people have issues if that is removed, I never experienced it so it's best that you keep it if you don't like reinstalling.

Started from few latest, some say from 0999...who knows, maybe it's some new hotfix or very rare driver.

It was DrWatson only I think so you can remove other.

Hi all,

So did we find out why this was happening? I've read the thread but I can't really tell if we did have a resolution for it.

Anyway, I tried integrating RyanVM's Windows XP Post-SP2 Update Pack v1.2.2 lite and I got the WFP problem :( This was the only thing I did - no driver integration, no tweaks, no remove components.

I'm using nLite version 0.99.9 beta.

I've not visited this thread recently, but from reading the posts on pages 4 and 5 I think I can see why WFP is behaving as it does with nLiten'ed installations.

The problem seems to be that the entries in SFCFILES.DLL for files removed or changed by nLite need to be updated, and nLite does not do this.

The guys at bitsum know how to patch out entries for files which have been removed (see www.bitsum.com/aboutwfp.asp#Hack_Method_5), but I don't think anyone knows how to generate new checksums for changed files (or indeed, add entries for new files).

So, Nuhi, perhaps the next version of nLite could patch out the entries in SFCFILES.DLL for any files removed or changed. I think this would be good enough, for now at least.

I'm sure I'm not alone in hating WFP. Well, not WFP itself, actually, which I think is a good idea, but the lack of any published API to allow developers other than MS from legitimately updating system files. If MS are worried that this might be abused, they could make said API warn the user first, and/or create a 'system checkpoint' before replacing the file. Their current attitude just encourages people like us to sneak round the system. Serves them right. :realmad:

Beta 5 is cleaning majority of sfcfiles and it helped for some.

Problem is that they made filenames in it with almost randomized capitalization so I gotta manually enter strings for third of files or search would be even longer.

It will be done eventually...for now it cleans a big portion.

I have taken over the unattended XP installataion responsibilities from someone else at our company after he left, and I started with nLite 1.00 beta 2. I had not ever heard of the Windows File Protection "error" until I started working with unattended XP installs.

I have read through this thread and tried to isolate some circumstances. I re-enabled Dr. Watson and stopped integrating drivers. I still get the message.

I just completed a "control" install, by using nLite 1.00 beta 5 and not integrating any drivers or even hotfixes, save for SP2. I only disabled a couple features, including that Search Agent thing, Desktop Cleanup, and a few Taskbar options. I still get the same message, although not until after the first reboot. After Windows completed the install, I removed the CD (or, more specifically, removed the .ISO mount from Virtual PC) and ran Windows Update. Everything installed fine and the computer asked to restart. Upon reboot, I was immediately prompted to insert the install CD though, for Windows File Protection.

Is anyone here familiar enough with the SFC command to tell me if my next attempt will be worth trying? I was considering running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from RunGuiOnce to see if that would work. Perhaps forcing a full scan will prevent the OS from checking file versions upon next reboot.

I see a lot of references to nLite .999 Were users not seeing the WFP message using this release? Could someone URL me a link to download that version, if it will prevent this message from popping up? Any help is greatly appreciated. And, if I have to wait for the next nLite release, well, such is life.

Thanks,

~Dave.

Every nlite if files removed will cause sfc to popup, if sfc left enabled.

Why there is so much talk about it lately...well probably because it has less and less bugs...only ones that are currently bothering public are SFC and Nvraid.

Next version will have better sfc filtering but it will also take more time to process files.

I also still get WFP popups, when I insert any USB device it asks for the windows CD, but the strange thing is it doesn't recover any files?

And the usb device is working perfectly.

(Even if I cancel the popup window it works perfectly and the popup doesn't reappear)

So what I did now is suppressed the WFS popups:

System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

Value Name: SFCDisable

Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)

Value Data: 0 = enabled (default)

Value Data: 1 - disabled, prompt at boot to re-enable

Value Data: 2 - disabled at next boot only, no prompt to re-enable

Value Data: 4 - enabled, with popups disabled

Value Data: ffffff9d = disabled

NOTE:

Changing the SFCDisable parameter in the registry is not enough

(like most sites mentioning) at least not enough for XP+SP2.

This switch is disabled by "SFC_OS.DLL".

By changing "SFC_OS.DLL" it can be enabled again.

NOTE2:

if you want to imbed this into your installation CD (like I did)

don't forget to modify the checksum of "SFC_OS.DLL"

and modify the regkey "SFCDisable" in "HIVESFT.INF"

For XP+SP2 See:

http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/Twe...ection-SP2.html

For older versions

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/790/

P.S. for all the monitoring freaks you can still check the WFS behaviour in the eventviewer

(nuhi: maybe suppressing the popups would be a nice extension for the patch section of nLite)

For those who want to know more about WFS & SFC check this link:

http://www.petri.co.il/what's_windows_..._protection.htm