MFT

m16si

KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Filesystem

In the right pane, look for the value named NtfsMftZoneReservation. If the value doesn't exist, you'll need to add it. Select New | DWORD Value from the Edit menu. The new value will appear in the right pane, prompting you for a value name. Type NtfsMftZoneReservation and press [Enter]. Double-click the new value. You'll then see the Edit DWORD Value screen.

The default value for this key is 1. This is good for a drive that will contain relatively few large files. Other options include:

* 2—Medium file allocation

* 3—Larger file allocation

* 4—Maximum file allocation

Are there any consequences changing the existing MFT?

Is there any real need to do so?

Looking at your two other posts on lagging, I don't think altering the MFT is the answer to your problem. I once let DK defrag on reboot and Windows xp could NOT start afterwards.

Every so often I overwrite the free space on my HD and the MFT allocation also gets erased. On the reboot the MFT is recreated but it is about a quarter of the original size and this change has never affected the performance of xp. But to the last comment on boot defrag, the registry can get screwed up if the is a run once pending. It happened to me once too.