Is it illegal to make an OEM.....

jpatto

disk that has been supplied by Dell into a disk as if it was from MS reason is that im trying to install XP onto a computer that is not Dell and it wont allow me to (tells me it has to be a Dell machine). Ive uninstalled this version of XP from the original computer if anyone needs to know.

I think it might be a violation of you EULA from Dell, But you should be able to contact them and tell them you want an actuall Windows XP disk. They are suppoed to supply you with one, but they might charge for shipping.

Dell DOES NOT have to supply you with an original disk. The disk they provided you with is all they will send you. It is an OEM license which does not give you the rights to install it on any other system. The OEM license is for use only on the PC it was purchased with.

Microsoft's OEM license is what makes it illegal. It's an OEM license, not a retail. I think the Dell OEM installation queries the BIOS during install to determine if it is a Dell or not.

Yea, it does query the bios. But even if you were to figure out how to install it on another non-Dell pc, there is still the question of your OEM key that probably needs to be activated. I believe that you can purchase just the licence w/o software from Micro$oft, but I'm not sure how much it would set you back.

Dell DOES NOT have to supply you with an original disk. The disk they provided you with is all they will send you. It is an OEM license which does not give you the rights to install it on any other system. The OEM license is for use only on the PC it was purchased with.

True, this was due to the number of people back in the days of 9x that were taking the original 9x cd and product key and installing it on x number of pcs. Ah, days gone by.......