How to resize the left pane in Windows Explorer?

mahi

Windows Explorer features a pane on the left were you can display a folder tree, search engine, bookmarks,... But if you don't show any of those, Windows XP (and 2000) shows a pane with common tasks for the selected folder (see screenshot). let's call it the webview to give it a name.

Now, the folder pane, search pane,... can all be resized to your own needs. For example, the folder and search pane width is controlled by the "BarSize" variable in the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{EFA24E64-B078-11D0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}] (folder pane) and [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}] (search pane) registry keys.

However, I can't find an entry where I can set the width of the webview.

full.png

I really would like to make the webview a bit wider. But how? When you put the mouse cursor on the vertical bar between the folders, search,... left pane and the right pane the cursor changes and you can resize the left pane. That way I could monitor which registry keys changed. But this doesn't work for the webview. You can't resize it from in Explorer.

Well, maybe it's just not possible? It must be... I noticed the Dutch Windows XP version has a webview that's about 20 pixels wider than the US version. So somewhere there must be a setting to change the width. But where?

If you click on the folders button in the toolbar and then hover over the divider until the arrow changes to a double arrow you should then be able to resize the left pane. If you close then and reopen the explore window the size should have been saved.

Maybe I am trying to over simplify.

Yes, that way I can resize the folders and search pane, but it doesn't affect the webview. I can't figure out how to resize the webview. But it must be possible.