Maximus Decim Cumulative Update ver.2.10

Maximus Decim Cumulative Update ver.2.10

for Windows 98SE English

------------------------------------------------------------

* Includes more than 100 updates received

from service WindowsUpdate and

from Microsoft web site.

* Native (without installation of additional drivers

for each type) support USB flash drives (NUSB 2.2).

* The detailed description of the order

of installation Windows 98SE, necessary updates

and components.

* Includes:

mdcu210e.exe - Actually file of a update

wininst210e.txt - description of the order

of installation

pchio98.exe - see wininst210e.txt

q313829fix.exe - see wininst210e.txt

--------------------------------------------------------------

What's new?

1. Added 268064, 271701, 192425, 240664, 246817, 319571, 320798, 270063, 262232, 257821, 323466 (Active Dirtectory Client files).

2. NUSB 2.2

http://rapidshare.de/files/1221448/mdcu210e.zip.html

Comparison of SE SP 2.0 and MDCU 2.1:

- SE SP tries to install only necessary updates for your system, MDCU installs all updates.

- MDCU contains a good generic USB mass storage device drivers adopted from Windows ME.

- MDCU doesn't support uninstallation.

- MDCU doesn't contain some features of SE SP:

# Solves 512 MB of RAM problem.
# Better Notepad.
# Windows Scripting Host 5.6.
# Microsoft Installer 2.0.
# MDGx's HTML Help Update.
# TweakUI (Optional).
# Command Prompt Here (Optional).
# New Animated Boot Logo (Optional).
# Supports 98lite 4.7.
# Windows 2000/ME desktop icons.
# Windows 2000 color scheme (Optional).
# Shows attributes column in details view on the Windows Explorer.
# Some tweaks (Optional).

Gape, you're wrong in some criterias:

SE SP tries to install only necessary updates for your system, MDCU installs all updates.
Not exactly true. It uses same Windows install mechanism and does not contains any IE/MDAC/WSH/MSI/VCRT updates, so all updates can be installed well.
MDCU contains a good generic USB mass storage device drivers from Windows ME.

Adopted from ME. Sometimes even better than ME support.

MDCU doesn't contain some features of SE SP:

- Preserve mechanism (new files from sp2.cab)

+ Really solves 512+MB of RAM problem

SE SP doesn't contain some features of MDCU:

- DOS driveletter fix

- QFECHECK entries

- Install order. It's tested many times and different from SE SP.

Not exactly true. It uses same Windows install mechanism and does not contains any IE/MDAC/WSH/MSI/VCRT updates, so all updates can be installed well.

Install order. It's tested many times and different from SE SP.

Not exactly true? :} I said it for the hotfixes' installation...

MDCU only installs all files with:

filename.ext,,,32 (COPYFLG_NO_VERSION_DIALOG)

But SE SP installs files with four different methods:

filename.ext

filename.ext,,,32 (COPYFLG_NO_VERSION_DIALOG)

filename.ext,,,1024 (COPYFLG_REPLACEONLY)

filename.ext,,,1056 (1024 AND 32)

If a user doesn't have a file on his/her system, generally SE SP will not copy the updated file. So SE SP tries to install only needed updates as much as possible with this mechanism.

Of course, because of "preserving" mechanism of Windows 98, if system needs this file later, it is copied from SP2.CAB, not from Windows's setup CABs.

More info about INF CopyFiles.

Thanks for the other additions/corrections.

Edited by Gape

You're right here; your product is more flexible and suitable for almost anyone.

But MDCU specializes on wise install order which advice full installation (98lite seems also not supported), so "preserving" (sp2.cab) and file-existance check is not need.

As for MS article, i studied it when was creating inf scenario for RP.

I noticed almost all flags not working properly with setupx installer (i don't know is it true), so i'm using setupapi (NT-like) installer, which is faster and correctly uses all flags.

- DOS driveletter fix

What is this?

Is that a modified version of Q311561?

Tihiy, what can we do about RAM problems and 137 GB HDD limit? Can we hack VCache.VxD and/or Esdi_506.pdr?

Gape, you're an oracle.

This crazy address

http://members.aol.com/__121b_HeNUO+UpHGm0...9g/v5yhhca3pTc=

leads to patch for Esdi_506.pdr, which enables handling of 145GB [and more in full ver];

but it is demo and no even warez copies exist.

Recently maximus have sent me a hexed copy of that patch which works with drives up to 400GB; i'm currently testing it now.

Also some DOS/Windows tools can't handle this limit as well.

It can be fixed by using Windows ME tools like scandiskw or defrag. New DOS tools can be used from FreeDOS.

"DOS driveletter fix" is a patch for any io.sys which makes DOS to forget drive letter order when installing new drive.

Recently maximus have sent me a hexed copy of that patch which works with drives up to 400GB; i'm currently testing it now.

Also some DOS/Windows tools can't handle this limit as well.

It can be fixed by using Windows ME tools like scandiskw or defrag. New DOS tools can be used from FreeDOS.

"DOS driveletter fix" is a patch for any io.sys which makes DOS to forget drive letter order when installing new drive.

This patch is commercial. :angry: How did this guy hacked Esdi_506.pdr? It should not be difficult.

I think Windows ME's Scandisk and Defrag doesn't handle big HDDs, too.

This patch is commercial. mad.gif How did this guy hacked Esdi_506.pdr? It should not be difficult.
You can try and look. It's very small in size, but I was unable to find what it does.
I think Windows ME's Scandisk and Defrag doesn't handle big HDDs, too.

Not sure about anything, i have 120GB HDD max. :unsure:

137 GB HDD limit
Not sure about anything, i have 120GB HDD max.

200 GB IDE and 250 GB SATA in one partition each in my Win ME box here with no patch (+ 120 GB IDE with two partitions). The first has been formatted with ME fdisk and the second one with Paragon Partition Manager from within Windows as fdisk would not recognize it. I think the DOS7(?) 98/Me limit is two terabytes.

I think scandisk does its full job as well, considering the long time it takes for a large drive with many files on it.

Why use defrag when there is a 100 times better (10-20 times faster and read-write allowed on the drive being defragmented) entirely legal free copy of Diskeeper Lite that you can use forever available everywhere ? You just need to delete the html.exe (not very sure of the filename but it's easy to spot) from its folder after install to never see the nag anymore. Very generous. I've read in several places in the computer press that Windows defrag is nothing but extremely cut down Diskeeper technology.

200 GB IDE and 250 GB SATA in one partition each in my Win ME box here with no patch (+ 120 GB IDE with two partitions). The first has been formatted with ME fdisk and the second one with Paragon Partition Manager from within Windows as fdisk would not recognize it. I think the DOS7(?) 98/Me limit is two terabytes.

I think scandisk does its full job as well, considering the long time it takes for a large drive with many files on it.

Why use defrag when there is a 100 times better (10-20 times faster and read-write allowed on the drive being defragmented) entirely legal free copy of Diskeeper Lite that you can use forever available everywhere ? You just need to delete the html.exe (not very sure of the filename but it's easy to spot) from its folder after install to never see the nag anymore. Very generous. I've read in several places in the computer press that Windows defrag is nothing but extremely cut down Diskeeper technology.

You probably have MB with Intel chipset or own IDE/SATA drivers.

Edited by Gape

The High Capacity Disk Patch Program patches Windows 98/98SE/ME to provide direct support for Hard Drives larger than 137GB without requiring a controller card or the Intel Application Accelerator which can only be used with some Intel Chipset Motherboards. The Patch installs support for the 48-Bit addressing mode required for Hard Drives larger than 137GB.

Well my above system handles 200 and 250 GB without additional controller card or the Intel Application Accelerator. Athlon 2600 on Abit NF7S nForce2 chipset. The 200 GB drive has been spinning under ME (and maybe 98 but I can't be sure anymore) on an MSI motherboard with a Duron and then the above Athlon.

I would think one may think he needs that stuff only if one wants to plug large capacity drives on VERY OLD motherboards.

I am far from being an expert but I think this thing maybe a rip-off as I don't see how a driver patch can affect the limitations of the BIOS. In those cases I am not sure one can do anything if one can't flash the BIOS with a firmware upgrade.

Thanks to correct me if I am wrong.

Well my above system handles 200 and 250 GB without additional controller card or the Intel Application Accelerator.  Athlon 2600 on Abit NF7S nForce2 chipset. The 200 GB drive has been spinning under ME (and maybe 98 but I can't be sure anymore) on an MSI motherboard with a Duron and then the above Athlon.

I would think one may think he needs that stuff only if one wants to plug large capacity drives on VERY OLD motherboards.

I am far from being an expert but I think this thing maybe a rip-off as I don't see how a driver patch can affect the limitations of the BIOS.  In those cases I am not sure one can do anything if one can't flash the BIOS with a firmware upgrade.

Thanks to correct me if I am wrong.

nForce's drivers support more than 137 GB HDDs. Also VIA, SiS, ALi etc. supports more than 137 GB with their drivers on the Windows 98/ME. Intel also supports more than 137 GB on Win98/ME with their Application Accelerator product.

This problem is from ESDI_506.PDR, which is internal main IDE driver file of the Windows 98 / ME. If you don't use internal IDE drivers of the Win98/ME, you will not have this problem.