SR2 install problem

After a fresh install of 98SE I always got the following error when shutting down :

Mprexe is causing an error by an invalid page in module <unknown>.

The only way to proceed is to power off the PC. I proceeded to install SR2 RC3, but near the end of the install I got an Winoldap error:

Invalid page in vgafull.3gr.

The system hang, and I had to power off in order to proceed. I reapplied the service pack under save mode, now it went through, but after restart I got the same Winoldap error. At that moment, three tasks were running: Win98 Setup, Win98 Setup and Regtlib. None of the tasks could be terminated nor the system could be shut down, so I had to power off, again.

After restart, I noticed that under right click 'Start' the entries 'Open' and 'Explorer' were grayed. Hitting 'commandline here' comes up with the same Winoldap error as above. And the Mprexe error is still there.

Any help very much appreciated. Thanks.

mumdigau

Did you install SP 2.0 RC3 German or English?

Is your hardware OK? Especially are you sure that your RAM is OK? Can you write a detailed list of your hardware?

I installed German version.

Yeah, HW/RAM (512 KB) ok and rather new. I can provide an zipped AIDA32 report (still rather huge) if you like.

HW: Motherboard with SIS 650 chipset, Pentium 4 (2.4 GHz). Boot infos for PCI Devices:

- Onboard PCI Bridge

- Onboard Communication Device (IRQ10)

- Onboard Ethernet (IRQ5)

- Onboard USB Controller (IRQ10)

- Onboard USB Controller (IRQ5)

- Onboard USB Controller (IRQ11)

- Onboard Multimedia Device (IRQ10)

- Onboard Firewire Controller (IRQ11)

- Onboard IDE

- Bridge VGA (IRQ11)

Hard Disk info:

- Primary Master PIO Mode 4 / UDMA Mode 5

- Secondary Master PIO Mode 4 / UDMA Mode 2

Newest AMI BIOS, same for all SIS 650 drivers. Device Manager looks ok except:

- ? PCI Card (this must be the onboard modem for which I can't get the drivers installed, don't know why; that's not critical for me because I'll connect via LAN and DSL-modem to the Internet)

- double entries for 'USB root Hub' and 'VIA Tech 3038 PCI/USB Universal Host Controller' (I don't know if this is critical).

Thanks for investigation.

mumdigau

It looks like a hack problem. Maybe German version's Kernel32.dll and/or User.exe files are not hacked correctly. swgreed, who makes German version, can provide more info about this.

It looks like a hack problem. Maybe German version's Kernel32.dll and/or User.exe files are not hacked correctly. swgreed, who makes German version, can provide more info about this.

Hi Gape,

thanks for your reply. Hopefully swgreed gets involved. or better move to an other forum (which one)?

What do you think on these double entries in Device Manager?

mumdigau

EDIT:

Just two follow-up remarks resp. questions:

1. If you think of a hack problem of the German version, keep in mind that the mprexe-error already was there BEFORE applying SR2.0 RC3. First time it came up was after I installed the drivers for my onboard NIC card (SIS 900).

2. I've a dual boot system with Windows XP Pro. I followed all recommandations here in the net and first installed Win98, then XP. Everything went fine (except a. m. Win98 -problems). If I can't get rid of these problems, I'm willing to change to English Win98SE plus SR2.0 RC3. From own experience I know that installing Win98 AFTER XP will render XP unbootable. What is the best way to replace the existing Win98 system by an English version without loosing the dual boot functionality?

ciao

mumdigau

Hi,

I'm aware of this problem.

A new (German) version RC3a is available at this mirror-page:

http://www.treiber-koenig.de/download.php?view.147

Changelog:

FIXED: 'MPREXE'-Bug beim Herunterfahren

FIXED: 'Nabtsfec.sys' Deinstallations-Bug

FIXED: Shell- und Explorer-Aktualisierung

The mprexe-error should be really gone when installing this version.

I really don't know what or which file caused this "illegal operation in mprexe". It was a problem just in the German version. That's why I recreated the German SP again.

Hi,

A new (German) version RC3a is available at this mirror-page:

http://www.treiber-koenig.de/download.php?view.147

The mprexe-error should be really gone when installing this version.

Thanks a lot. The major problem (mprexe-error) has gone!

Some minor problems remain, so I'll briefly summarize what happened during install of RC3a:

1. gdi.exe and user.exe were found as English versions (very strange: I didn't apply any system mods except DirectX 9c, only Win98 SE fresh install and RC3, both German). I let both files override.

2. Msvcirt.dll (6.01.8637.0) and Msvcrt.dll (6.01.9844.0) were found to be newer. I kept them.

3. During copying files I got Winoldap-error 'Invalid page in vgafull.3gr' in DOS-window 'RUNPOST'. I closed the window, and the copy process went through. After reboot the Winoldap-error showed up again during system setup. This time, after closing the window, the system resp. setup hangs, and I had to power off. After reboot, Tweak UI and Setup terminated normally.

I checked the version of VGAFULL.3GR, it's 4.10.1998.

In addition, the entries for 'Explorer' and 'Open' under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

are gone, so right click 'Start' shows both grayed. Perhaps someone can post them here.

ciao

mumdigau

gdi.exe and user.exe - were english in RC3, now german in RC3a

Msvcirt.dll & Msvcrt.dll were taken from english RC3

does win98 run normally after you got that VGAFULL.3GR error?

can you open a dos-box without this error message?

I also don't have the 'Explorer' and 'Open' entries in the registry, but a rightclick on 'Start' shows:

Öffnen, Explorer, Suchen, Kommandozeile

Hmmm...

During my installation I didn't receive such messages. It went through without any complications.

I put a new system on, respectively I took an image which consists of the OS win98 and nothing more.

Did you use the uninstallation of RC3? Perhaps that's the reason.

Hi,

thanks for feedback.

does win98 run normally after you got that VGAFULL.3GR error?

So far, I see no irregularities; exception: see below.

can you open a dos-box without this error message?

When a dos-box opens full screen, everything is ok; changing to dos-window, seems still to be ok. But when I close the window and open a new one, I get that VGAFULL.3GR-error. When I change back to full screen, a new dos-box opens ok again.

I also don't have the 'Explorer' and 'Open' entries in the registry, but a rightclick on 'Start' shows:

Öffnen, Explorer, Suchen, Kommandozeile

I see the same entries, but the first two are grayed. Perhaps an other registry entry is missing.

@alexxx

The only mod I applied prior to RC3 was DirectX 9c. I just installed RC3a over RC3. Do you mean it's worthwhile NOW to deinstall RC3a, reboot and install RC3a again?

mumdigau

Boot infos for PCI Devices:

- Onboard PCI Bridge

- Onboard Communication Device (IRQ10)

- Onboard Ethernet (IRQ5)

- Onboard USB Controller (IRQ10)

- Onboard USB Controller (IRQ5)

- Onboard USB Controller (IRQ11)

- Onboard Multimedia Device (IRQ10)

- Onboard Firewire Controller (IRQ11)

- Onboard IDE

- Bridge VGA (IRQ11)

I'd be concerned about all the IRQ sharing going on. There are only 4 PCI IRQs to go around and Windows 98SE doesn't really handle IRQ sharing that well.

In modern motherboards, it's nearly impossible to avoid sharing because of all the USB controllers. However, you can still try moving PCI cards around to minimize the sharing.

The things that concern me are the VGA sharing, ethernet sharing (probably unavoidable) and the multimedia device sharing with the communication device.

The first thing to do is to make sure you disable all the onboard devices you aren't using. I assume the communication device is a modem. If you're not using it, disable it in the BIOS. Same goes for the firewire. On SOME motherboards you can free up an extra IRQ by disabling the onboard serial port. In your case, I only see 5, 10, and 11 being used so your computer might be a good candidate. Some motherboards will also give up the PS/2 mouse IRQ (12) if you use a USB mouse instead.

I'd be concerned about all the IRQ sharing going on.  There are only 4 PCI IRQs to go around and Windows 98SE doesn't really handle IRQ sharing that well.

It may be a problem, but I have found that Windows 98SE can survive even with only one free IRQ for the PCI bus:

IRQ 3: COM2 (exclusive)

IRQ 4: COM1 (exclusive)

IRQ 5: Winbond Memory Stick Storage (MS) Device Driver

IRQ 6: Floppy Disk Controller

IRQ 7: LPT1

IRQ 8: RTC

IRQ 9: 3Com 3C996B Gigabit Server NIC

IRQ 9: Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection

IRQ 9: Win9x-ME Promise MBUltra133 (PDC20276) IDE Controller

IRQ 9: Realtek AC'97 Audio

IRQ 9: Gigabyte USB Enhanced Host Controller

IRQ 9: Intel USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller

IRQ 9: Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2

IRQ 9: Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4

IRQ 9: Intel® 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7

IRQ 9: NEC USB Open Host

IRQ 9: NEC USB Open Host

IRQ 9: Intel® 82801DB/DBM SMBus Controller - 24C3

IRQ 9: IRQ ACPI pro řízení PCI IRQ

IRQ 9: Přerušení SCI užívané sběrnicí ACPI

IRQ 9: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X

IRQ 10: Standard MPU-401

IRQ 11: Winbond Smartcard Reader

IRQ 12: PS/2 Mouse

IRQ 14: Primary Ultra ATA Controller

IRQ 14: Intel® 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB

IRQ 15: Secondary Ultra ATA Controller

IRQ 15: Intel® 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB

and everything worked perfectly - with exception of one DOS diagnostic utility.

More important may be the assignment of the four PCI interupt lines (INTA to INTD) but I'm not sure if it possible to display it in Windows.

Petr