system keeps rebooting @ windows start up screen

jasyn

There are 2 things that it could be that is causing the corrupted file.

1. Bad Hard Drive.

2. Bad Ram.

To test your hard drive use this link . There you should be able to download a diagnostic utility to test the hard drive's integrity. I recomend Sea Tools from Seagate, it works on all hard drives, and hase a clean interface.

To test your RAM, use Memtest86 .

As far as wiondows setup bluescreening, try to narrow it down, because it's defdfinately a hardware issue. I would disconnect all USB devices, then your PCI devices, then CD-Rom and Floppy. If you are still getting bluescreens and hangups, after testing your memory and hard drive (verifying that they are good) and trying to narrow down a device thats causing it, it will be either you mainboard or your processor, but more than likely your processor.

i'm doing the hard drive test right now .. i swear that computer is cursed .. if it is the processor again that would be the 2nd time in less then 2 years. i will post updates thank you. so can it be concluded that it isn't windows xp that is causing this?

I might of got lost in the posts, but what I got out of it was that your computer was bluescreening and freezing during windows setup, and at windows startup. If the computer is freezing during windows setup, than it's "Absolutely" a hardware issue.

I might of got lost in the posts, but what I got out of it was that your computer was bluescreening and freezing during windows setup, and at windows startup. If the computer is freezing during windows setup, than it's "Absolutely" a hardware issue.

ok the hard drive's Partition 1 (NTFS) failed the test of Sea Tools however the hard drive itself is fine. with that said, i need a way to reformat and erase that partition and start all over WITHOUT using the Windows XP CD because I can't access any of the installation files with this partition still on the hard drive. what methods are there to do this?

Any important info on the hard drive? Might save time just removing the partation and doing a total clean install.

OH I SPOKE TO BLOODY SOON!!!!! :no: so i used the win98 boot disc to fdisk the drive .. wipped it clean .. booted up w/ the xp cd .. then i started to partition the drive with NTFS .. last time i checked the thing was at 68% .. i come back .. BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH with error code STOP 0X0000000A (0XFFFFF990, 0X000000FF, 0X00000001, 0X8080D258) .. sigh ..