system keeps rebooting @ windows start up screen

jasyn

actually it doesn't really reach the boot screen where it shows the windows icon and the little scroll bar goes from left to right. i don't kno what my sister did to her computer but the system just rebooted by itself .. and it keeps trying to boot up .. but the computer itself keeps restarting & you get to the screen where it says "the last time windows tried to run it failed .. what do u want to do" .. then it gives u the options for safe mode .. last known good setting .. or regular .. i've tried all 3 .. and it fails to boot up & just keeps rebooting. what could be causing this? is there a new virus out there?

Try booting off your windows XP cd and doing a repair install. I have seen that before but mainly when taking a hard drive from one computer and putting it in a totally different system. Repair install should work for you.

i'm trying to make a slipstream cd right now. my old one said one of the files were corrupted when i tried to boot w/ it .. what luck huh? :no: will update once it is done.

so i made a slipstream cd off my xp with sp1 .. i added sp2 onto it using nLite .. i trimmed it down using the lite version because the safe mode and just regular wouldn't fit onto a 700mb cd disc. here's the deal .. it goes into installation mode .. does all that loading up .. but then the install screen freezes and on the bottom it says "Setup is starting up Windows".

i have a question .. today i downloaded some critical updates for windows xp (on my computer) .. i read the up to date security bulletin for 4/12/05 and i wasn't sure of the update was for it or not .. pretty sure it was .. i'm curious if those exploits could be causing this problem because i don't think the system was updated nor did it have a GOOD firewall running (it was using the xp firewall).

ok here it is .. everything went smooth this time around .. EXCEPT .. THE DREADED BLUE SCREEN APPEARED after the "Starting up Windows Setup".

here is the technical information i got

STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0X809E2BBF, 0XF89615D8, 0XF89612D4)

is the system dead?

are you using a SATA Hard Drive? You would need to provide the drivers on a floppy in the beggining of setup by pressing F6. I suspect that because you mention it failed while loading scsi drivers (a misnomer during setup).

Can you supply more details about your computers hardware or the model?

are you using a SATA Hard Drive?  You would need to provide the drivers on a floppy in the beggining of setup by pressing F6.  I suspect that because you mention it failed while loading scsi drivers (a misnomer during setup).

Can you supply more details about your computers hardware or the model?

everything works fine .. just froze sometimes. here is the deal .. i'm unable to get into the recovery console to type "bootcfg" to try and repair the boot.ini .. i think that is what is screwed up .. or at least the registry ..

i read this topic here http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic40747.html

someone talked about

"It could be an "Unmountable boot volume". I've done two repairs like this one on windows xp pro and on xp home. You can download the program from microsoft, which when you run the program it makes six floppies that you use to run chkdsk and also repairs the boot.ini file. The boot.ini file is corrupted. Be sure you download the correct program because xp home is different from xp pro, one will not work on the other.

Hope this helps "

does anyone kno where i can get this download at?

if you want the 6 floppy's you can get them here:

http://www.bootdisk.com/

or more directly here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

welp those i already got .. i suppose those were the ones that the person was talking about .. i get this error

"File \bootinfo.ini could not be loaded.

The error code is 4096."

then i can't go anywhere .. tells me to exit .. what in the world am i to do!!

i can't get into safe mode .. last known config .. or regular mode.

i can't get into recovery console using the xp disc (legit)

i can't get into setup using the xp disc (legit)

i can't use these **** boot discs either!

**** this is giving me a headache!!

NEED HELP GURU'S!!!!

Is the "Last Known Good Configuration" option available on the menu you mention? Have you tried it?

[edit] You have.

If you can get into your BIOS, set the boot sequence to boot from CDROM 1st.

Go into recovery console and try the following in order -

chkdsk /r <- this may take a while

fixboot

bootcfg /rebuild

There are 2 things that it could be that is causing the corrupted file.

1. Bad Hard Drive.

2. Bad Ram.

To test your hard drive use this link . There you should be able to download a diagnostic utility to test the hard drive's integrity. I recomend Sea Tools from Seagate, it works on all hard drives, and hase a clean interface.

To test your RAM, use Memtest86 .

As far as wiondows setup bluescreening, try to narrow it down, because it's defdfinately a hardware issue. I would disconnect all USB devices, then your PCI devices, then CD-Rom and Floppy. If you are still getting bluescreens and hangups, after testing your memory and hard drive (verifying that they are good) and trying to narrow down a device thats causing it, it will be either you mainboard or your processor, but more than likely your processor.