Stupid Warning Message...

Is there a way to do this automatically?

*EDIT* and I suppose I have to reboot to make it work?

Well you could always create 2 boot.ini files.. 1 that has this line in it and one that doesnt, so you can simply copy the modified boot.ini in place prior to install and copy the orig back after your done...

and to answer youre 2nd question, if youre going to use this method of getting around this problem.. yes, you need to reboot before the modified boot.ini takes effect.

Direct from Microsoft: "For unattended installations of Windows XP SP2, you can use the Unattend.txt file to pre-populate a specific DEP configuration. You can use the OSLoadOptionsVar entry in the [Data] section of the Unattend.txt file to specify a system-wide DEP configuration." Here

[Data]
OSLoadOptionsVar="/noexecute=policy_level"

where policy_level is what you want it to be...in your case AlwaysOff.

I haven't tested this, but will when I reinstall my os next time. Hope this is of use to you.

The only other thing I can think of is to set it as a low risk file type. Maybe this is what you are looking for. Or copy the files locally and run them...but if I remember right I still got those annoying prompts asking if I was sure I wanted to run them. Just edit the following to your liking. I just opened an exe across my network and I don't get the prompt, and my dep is on.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
;Gets rid of popup when running files you download
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Download]
"CheckExeSignatures"="no"
"RunInvalidSignatures"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments]
"SaveZoneInformation"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations]
"LowRiskFileTypes"=".zip;.rar;.nfo;.txt;.exe;.bat;.com;.cmd;.reg;.msi;.htm;.html;.gif;.bmp;.jpg;.avi;.mpg;.mpeg;.mov
;.mp3;.m3u;.wav;"

You could try importing the registry setting, killing explorer.exe with taskkill or task manager if you are testing from the gui, and then restart it. Then run the files you want to install. With some hkcu reg settings when you restart explorer the new settings take effect.

• 3 weeks later...
Direct from Microsoft: "For unattended installations of Windows XP SP2, you can use the Unattend.txt file to pre-populate a specific DEP configuration. You can use the OSLoadOptionsVar entry in the [Data] section of the Unattend.txt file to specify a system-wide DEP configuration." Here

[Data]
OSLoadOptionsVar="/noexecute=policy_level"

where policy_level is what you want it to be...in your case AlwaysOff.

I haven't tested this, but will when I reinstall my os next time.  Hope this is of use to you.

I'm curious to know if anyone has tried this. I have an issue with DEP coming up for Adobe Audition 1.5 during a full unattended installation (XP and all) and I'm wondering if anyone has figured out how to turn it back on following the whole unattended process without having to do it manually. Like a command added to "cleanup.cmd", for instance?

Since this is basically a setting in the boot.ini file, is it possible to be changed while explorer is running? Is that possible to change from a batch file?

• 1 year later...