Windows 2003 Server Web Edition

HI,

I have installed Windows 2003 Server Web Edition SP1 because only this service was required for running a web site. However much to my amazement there is no information for installing, configuring or using this product anywhere to be found either at Microsoft or in any of the books about Windows 2003 Server quoting one that this product does not share any of the capabilities of Windows 2003 Server and will not be covered in the book. This I found often.

My question: does anyone have any idea where I can find any info (I have Googled. Micrsoft etc etc) as I do not have the time at the moment to learn to install Windows 2003 server and try to configure it behind a router (as is the case). I just have to get the website up and running.

Your help willl be much appreciated!

It is basically the same as the other versions of Windows except:

Limited to 2 GB RAM

Limited to 2 Processors

Cannot act as a 2000 or 2003 domain controller

Does not provide other common services to install

etc....

Here are some links:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003...reeditions.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003...ticleindex.mspx

Hullo friendly advisers,

@ DiGGiTY you are right about that however like all Microsoft Help files they have their shortcomings especially when you have other questions, but I agree this is all that can be found, thanks.

@ tguy This is all the info that can be found online, I am well aware of the links you have posted otherwise I would not have taken the time to write my request for assistance.

@ Marsden : Thanks, Technet I am well aware of, the IIS 6.0 books that I have cover Windows 2003 Server and I keep on running into problems looking for non-existent menus in Win 2003 Web Edition that are mentioned in the IIS 6.0 books.

@ prathapml : Thanks, it probably would be the best solution however I have not had any experience at all with Apache and do not have the time at the moment to start (even that I would love to get into it!)

Well, all in all, this is what I knew all along, thanks to all for the trouble to write a reply. I have the impression that this is some kind of invisible Ms product and probably will format and install Win 2003 Server Standard unless someone comes up with any useful info.

What more do you need? There is no difference between managing IIS form the Web Edition to Standard and Enterprise editions of Win 2003.

Start>> Administrator Tools>> IIS Manager

iis6-admin.jpg

Expand the boxes and right-click on any item you want to see properties for. Click on Help if you don't understand a paticular property item.

By default IIS6.0 is turned off after an install. You have to enable it. You can't learn it from a book... you need to get your hands dirty and play with it...

Thanks Marsden,

I am sure you must get frustrated when dealing with a noob like myself just strating in the big bad world of Windows 2003 Server (at least how I perceive it at the moment).

One last question if you please:

I am running the server behind a Netopia Cayman 3357W Router and the IP is dynamic, on researching this I came up with the name ZoneEdit to fix the IP address, do you have any tips on this and:

What firewall/antivirus software do you suggest that is easy to configure (I still have to start looking into IIS 6.0 today after I have finishing translating the website into 6 languages).

Thanks again for the help.

Servers should always have static IP addresses. Dynamic won't cut it for a web server. Configure your router to forward HTTP port 80 to your server.

Firewall= ISA 2004 Nothing else comes close. You will have to install it on another box because Win2k3 Web Edition will not support other server products.

We don't use anti-virus software. We use ISA 2004 and Exchange 2003 locked down tight. It works because we have never had a virus nor any downtime associated with virus troubles.