Maximus-Decim Native USB Drivers

It's not my original flash, it's not my flash at all and here is the main problem: I haven't any my own working flashes. :)

And what I done:

1. Yes, all of them are OK, e.g. files are readable, writeable and erasable at another computer

2. Working flash is still working

3. I downloaded KB240075, but didn't install it, 'cos those guys say it's for AMD & VIA, not for my Intel. Am I right?

4. I can't access to XP machine, but I have access to another 98SE machine, so I looked into HKLM\Enum\USB section of system registry and found VIDs & PIDs:

working Kingston VID 0951 PID 1625

useless Kingston VID 0951 PID 162D

useless EMTEC VID 13FE PID 1F00

Go to C:\WINDOWS\INF and rename usbstor.inf to usbstor.ant, then add the modified usbstor.inf contained in the attached .7z file (you actually can do it from inside windows, no need to get to True DOS to do it). Insert each of the problem pen drives, one at a time, and let's see what happens.

usbstor.7z

I think, I have to unpack this 7z file? Which program I must to use?

You can find here the portable version of 7-Zip (= no install): 7-Zip Portable

This is required only to compress in this format.

To unpack files the majority of common softwares like WinZip or WinRar will definitely do the job.

;)

Guys, maybe it's funny for You, but I HAVEN'T XP machine, so portable version of 7-zip isn't accessible for me and archivators I use (Zip 9.0 & Rar 3.0) definitely can't do any job with .7z files

Anyway, thank You very mutch for Your tries to help me

Well, I unpacked usbstor and nothing was changed - new drivers database was created, then USB device (not USB drive!) was found and unknown device was found at the end. Exactly the same thing as with my old usbstor.inf

Guys, maybe it's funny for You, but I HAVEN'T XP machine, so portable version of 7-zip isn't accessible for me and archivators I use (Zip 9.0 & Rar 3.0) definitely can't do any job with .7z files

98SEUser,

you are actually on the Windows 9x Forum :yes: .

Last 7-Zip Portable is working fine on my Windows 98SE PC [Edit: Could need KernelEX. I didn't tried without it.],

and it has also WinRAR 3.51 installed which accept .7z to unpacking :whistle:

Otherwise, some sites online can make the conversion for you like Media Convert or Zamzar

HTH :)

Edited by CharlesF

As I wrote

Well, I unpacked usbstor and nothing was changed - new drivers database was created, then USB device (not USB drive!) was found and unknown device was found at the end. Exactly the same thing as with my old usbstor.inf

It means I found exit :) and installed nonportable ver 9.17, unpacked usbstor but nothing changed.

On 10/22/2010 at 7:54 AM, 98SEUser said:
3. I downloaded KB240075, but didn't install it, 'cos those guys say it's for AMD & VIA, not for my Intel. Am I right?

Well, since you haven't anything to lose, because it already is not working as it should, my next suggestion is to install KB240075, regardless of what hardware you do have. It won't break anything, but may fix it.

Well, since you haven't anything to loose, because it already is not working as it should, my next suggestion is to install KB240075, regardless of what hardware you do have. It won't break anything, but may fix it.

Unfortunely it didn't help. It lookes like some kind of hardware problem. I got a couple of pendrives made by different fabricators and general rule is: if pendrive older then couple of years, it works; if it's a new device, it don't work. I don't really understand reasons of this strange situation, but it's a fact. Moreover, old Kingston works - new Kingston don't; old EMTEC works - new EMTEC don't :(

Edited by 98SEUser

I got a couple of pendrives made by different fabricators and general rule is: if pendrive older then couple of years, it works; if it's a new device, it don't work. I don't really understand reasons of this strange situation, but it's a fact. Moreover, old Kingston works - new Kingston don't; old EMTEC works - new EMTEC don't :(

Could it be a SIZE of the stick problem? :unsure:

Otherwise it may mean that you have NOT a "generic" USB Mass Storage driver, but rather a "specific" one, (only compatible with a given controller) and by chance "old" sticks have that controller and "new" ones have it not.

Can you test the sticks on another computer (running 2K, XP or later) run on them chipgenius:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4661

http://www.mydigit.cn/chipgenius.htm

and post Vid/Pids and details of each stick (both the working and the non-working ones)?

jaclaz

Could it be a SIZE of the stick problem? :unsure:

Otherwise it may mean that you have NOT a "generic" USB Mass Storage driver, but rather a "specific" one, (only compatible with a given controller) and by chance "old" sticks have that controller and "new" ones have it not.

Can you test the sticks on another computer (running 2K, XP or later) run on them chipgenius:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4661

http://www.mydigit.cn/chipgenius.htm

and post Vid/Pids and details of each stick (both the working and the non-working ones)?

jaclaz

It's definitely NOT a size problem. I choose equal sizes of working/nonworking pairs of sticks made identical fabricators, but one works - another one doesn't.

I'm not very familiar with both hardware and software, but I installed nusb3.3ru, then nusb2.4, then nusb3.3ru back again. So how it can be not generic driver?

I haven't XP/2K machine, but all tested sticks work with another i865-based Win98SE machine, so I can look into its regystry and find all information is needed. And I have USBView. So what You want to know about this headache :)?

Now the simpler solutions have been exhausted, we must dig deeper. Please inform which is the maker and model of your motherboard, whether it has USB 2.0 support or just earlier USB, whether you have any USB 2.0 add-on card, which processor do you use, and how much memory does the board currently have.