Maximus-Decim Native USB Drivers

One problem might be that the BB is a composite device.

Without wanting to sidetrack you from your investigations (and provide irrelevant information): is the file usbccgp.sys present in your system (in %windir%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS)? RetroOS found that he required that file from XP Service Pack 3 in order for composite devices to work:

Windows 98SE (with 98SE2ME) and a recent USB composite device

The file can be found in the USB 2.0 Stack installer at MDGx's site:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/USB20DRV.EXE

Edited by bristols

How so? Does the motherboard not support USB 2.0 or are you using VIA's USB 2.0 stack?

Sorry for the confusion. I meant I hadn't installed Tihiy's USB 2.0 stack (mentioned in Bristol's post).

In any case, please do install IOSYS98 and see whether the BSOD goes away.

One problem might be that the BB is a composite device.

Without wanting to sidetrack you from your investigations (and provide irrelevant information): is the file usbccgp.sys present in your system (in %windir%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS)? RetroOS found that he required that file from XP Service Pack 3 in order for composite devices to work:

Windows 98SE (with 98SE2ME) and a recent USB composite device

The file can be found in the USB 2.0 Stack installer at MDGx's site:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/USB20DRV.EXE

Thank you both. I've downloaded both files and will try installing them tonight. I'll let you know the results.

Edited by Mathwiz

Thanks for the suggestions, but no joy.

I installed IOSYS98 but it didn't make any difference. Then I installed USB20DRV, but after that it wouldn't recognize my BB at all!

I opened up the control panel device manager and it reported a problem with the USB mass storage device driver. Looking at the driver files, I realized one (USBSTOR.SYS) was replaced by the USB20DRV update. So I rebooted into MS-DOS mode, restored the original USBSTOR.SYS, and rebooted. (I still have the new version in case I want to try it again sometime.)

That fixed the driver and Windows recognized my BB again, but it's back to the same problem: BSOD if I try to write to the BB.

So neither update helped, but (except for USBSTOR.SYS) they didn't seem to hurt anything, so I'll leave them installed for now.

FYI: the version of USBSTOR.SYS that (sort of) works is 4.90.3000.1. (I assume NUSB 3.3 installed this version.) The version that USB20DRV installed (that didn't work with the BB) is 5.00.2195.6773.

Yeah, well... I was hesitating in suggesting you to try USB20DRV because I imagined you might end up having the usbstor issue. To use usbstor.sys v. 5.00.2195.6773, it must be loaded together with wdmstub.sys, which is also already present in the right place, since it's installed by USB20DRV, too. So, simply go to C:\WINDOWS\INF, open USBSTOR.INF and find this place in the file:

[uSBSTOR.AddReg]

HKR,,DevLoader,,*NTKERN

;HKR,,NTMPDriver,,"wdmstub.sys,USBSTOR.SYS"

HKR,,NTMPDriver,,USBSTOR.SYS

... notice that the third line is commented (that is, has a semicolon which I marked in red before it) and fourth line is not commented. So move the semicolon from the third line to the fourth, thus:
[uSBSTOR.AddReg]

HKR,,DevLoader,,*NTKERN

HKR,,NTMPDriver,,"wdmstub.sys,USBSTOR.SYS"

;HKR,,NTMPDriver,,USBSTOR.SYS

After doing it, you may put back usbstor.sys v. 5.00.2195.6773, and when you insert your USB devices they may be detected correctly straight away. If not, enter the device manager with the device connected (one at a time), delete the device with the yellow exclamation mark, then disconnect and reconnect the device, that it will be recognized and mounted correctly.

Yeah, well... I was hesitating in suggesting you to try USB20DRV because I imagined you might end up having the usbstor issue. To use usbstor.sys v. 5.00.2195.6773, it must be loaded together with wdmstub.sys, which is also already present in the right place, since it's installed by USB20DRV, too. So, simply go to C:\WINDOWS\INF, open USBSTOR.INF and find this place in the file:

[uSBSTOR.AddReg]

HKR,,DevLoader,,*NTKERN

;HKR,,NTMPDriver,,"wdmstub.sys,USBSTOR.SYS"

HKR,,NTMPDriver,,USBSTOR.SYS

... notice that the third line is commented (that is, has a semicolon which I marked in red before it) and fourth line is not commented. So move the semicolon from the third line to the fourth, thus:
[uSBSTOR.AddReg]

HKR,,DevLoader,,*NTKERN

HKR,,NTMPDriver,,"wdmstub.sys,USBSTOR.SYS"

;HKR,,NTMPDriver,,USBSTOR.SYS

After doing it, you may put back usbstor.sys v. 5.00.2195.6773, and when you insert your USB devices they may be detected correctly straight away. If not, enter the device manager with the device connected (one at a time), delete the device with the yellow exclamation mark, then disconnect and reconnect the device, that it will be recognized and mounted correctly.

Well I'll be damned. It worked!

I just copied a file to my BB without that BSOD. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I just bought a Dynex 2-Port USB 2.0 PCMCIA Notebook Card.

I have NUSB/Usb20drv installed. My card is detected but in the device manager I have

an exclamation mark for the USB 2.0 root hub. Here's a link to the win98 drivers.

http://www.dynexproducts.com/cms/files/DX-UC202_Drivers.zip

Its says I'm already using the best drivers so it won't install.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

The try the following (full manual driver update):

Extract the contents of U2v2_1_9.exe to a folder, then go to the device manager, right-click on the device with the exclamation mark, select properties, update driver, don't search, have a disk, then point it to the folder you've extracted U2v2_1_9.exe to. And let me know whether it did work in this way.

The try the following (full manual driver update):

Extract the contents of U2v2_1_9.exe to a folder, then go to the device manager, right-click on the device with the exclamation mark, select properties, update driver, don't search, have a disk, then point it to the folder you've extracted U2v2_1_9.exe to. And let me know whether it did work in this way.

Thanks got it working.

Hi all, I found this thread on the web searching for how to remove my usb "safely remove hardware icon" from system tray. I use winXP and I don't want to hide the icon, but to remove it (I actually tried Icon Remover program, but it doesn't work good). I would be glad to hear any sort of ideas, thanks in advance!

This is the wrong place to ask for it. Win 9x/ME is an altogether different OS family than the one (the NT OS family) Win XP belongs to. Therefore I'm moving your post to the right forum (the Win XP forum) and transforming it into a new thread there.

Hi to all!

I have MB with i440bx chipset and tried to start using USB flash. I installed nusb 3.3 and got Kingston DT101 1 Gen 4 GB flash from friend of mine. Everything was OK but only with this flash. When I bought EMTEC 2 Gb - no luck, then Kingston DT102 2 Gen - fall again. I have unknown USB device and that's all. USBView says there is device at full speed, but all fields are zeroed (no PID, no VID etc.) I don't know what to do. Help pls!

Are they working? And your original kingston still works? Have you access to a XP or later machine?

Before anything, apply KB240075 UHCD.SYS hotfix and see whether that solves your problem.

If that's not enough, post here the VID and PID of your Kingston pendrives, and we'll see what can be done.

ChipGenius http://www.mydigit.cn/mytool/ChipGenius.rar, run under Win2k/XP (not under Win98), is probably the easiest way to find out the VID and PID of your Kingston pendrives, BTW.