Maximus-Decim Native USB Drivers

BTW MD, The Windows XP SP3 USBSTOR.INF adds three more Sony Memory Stick Reader/Writer devices, and also a Casio Digital Camera device.

dencorso you add them to the list?

All Sony devices in the XP SP3 USBSTOR.INF are present in the NUSB 3.3 updated USBSTOR.INF, plus there are two additional Sony devices not present the XP SP3 USBSTOR.INF... They were added by MD himself. The Casio camera, however, requires QV2KUX.SYS, a driver not present in NUSB (any version) and presumably not compatible with 9x/ME, until proof to the contrary. So, no, the Casio camera is not there. BTW, it's the one device present in the in the XP SP3 USBSTOR.INF and not present in the NUSB 3.3 updated USBSTOR.INF. The latter, however, has lots of devices not present in the XP SP3 USBSTOR.INF, being, thus, way more complete.

in one win98SE machine, i can't use any usb flash disk, it just gives usual blue-screen Exception Error 0E xxxx:xxxxxx IOS (4) vxd stuff.

however, after checking bootlog.txt content i found suspicious entry:

[0015EE7A] Dynamic load failed  C:\WINDOWS\system\IOSUBSYS\intelvsd.vxd : [0015EE7A] Not a valid device  - possibly corrupt

after removing that file from IOSUBSYS directory (renaming it into antyhing_else.vxd, wont work), NUSB is now fully functional in that machine.

QV2KUX.SYS
minimum API requirement checking can be done using wdmcheck under win9x system.

• 4 weeks later...

Using NUSB 3.3 on Win98 SE with latest KernelEx and Revolutions Pack.

Usually I plug my USB flash disk in before turning PC on and it stays with it untill shutdown. After shutdown I removed USB flash disk, and next day I booted up without it. After this I plugged USB flash disk in, but it was not recognized. Device manager showed me USB flash disk in USB devices but not in the storage devices. I several times removed it and plugged in, but nothing changed. I rebooted and plugged it in before booting windows, and then it was recognized OK. What is the reason of this?

When you do, test also whether, on booting to plain DOS the system with the pendrive inserted, it becomes accessible from DOS.

I tested the situation, but the error was not reproduced. However that was already after I applied FIX WIN98 SE USB + SHUTDOWN ERRORS instruction, step 2. It seems, that indeed fixed my USB shutdown error occurring only with KernelEx installed.

As for DOS - I even don't have CD and DVD devices until I load Windows. I never had USB pendrive in DOS.

• 2 weeks later...

After all now I'm having another trouble with USB. When USB flash stick is plugged in when booting everything is OK. But if I plug it in after the system boots up, any application that tries to access it hangs up (for example Explorer or Total Commander). Then after couple of minutes whole system freezes. There was not such problem before I turned off USB errors detection, which was adviced on MDGX site. Any suggestions?

Don't uninstall anything. Reinstall NUSB 3.3 over your current installation, accepting to overwrite any file it may prompt you asking whether to keep or overwrite. Reboot. Let's see what happens.

Tried this. There were no prompts about overwriting. Nothing changed, everything OK when flash stick was plugged in before booting, and explorer did not show me the contents of My Computer after inserting flash stick when system already booted up. I have forgotten to try booting with flash stick, then removing it and inserting again. I'll try also removing KernelEx in 3 days or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Uninstalled KernelEx 4.5 b2. After this USB flash drive worked, I had no problem. Installed KernelEx 4.5 RC1 - after first reboot all is still OK. Today I'll check if it still works after several reboots and after shutting down with flash stick in, then removing it.

BTW - another question. My PS/2 keyboard port seems to be going to die. Can I use USB keyboard if I have USB 1.1 ports and I doubt that USB is supported in BIOS? My MB is Intel D815EPE2U.

Yes, you can. But I don't really think it's a good idea if the BIOS doesn't recognize it. It'll be a PITA to configure bios and/or run true DOS. I'd say go for another PS/2 keyboard. My own favorite is an 1993 IBM model M (1391401) PS/2 original keyboard. They're still findable used at reasonable prices, from clikykeyboards. But they lack the "Windows" keys. If you must have those keys, a contemporary version of the model M is produced by Unicomp. IMHO, these are the best keyboards money can buy, at reasonable prices. But this is a matter where YMMV wildly. HTH

I'd say go for another PS/2 keyboard.

Thanks for the reply.

I said that not the keyboard, but PS/2 port is going to die. Often keyboard stops working and I should adjust its connector in the port, which is cranky. Actually it is not even a PS/2 keyboard, it's older than PS/2 and is connected through the adapter, which is a bit heavy. I suspect that is the reason why the port is cranky.

I have a newer PS/2 keyboard with Windows keys in my new PC, so replacing keyboard wouldn't be the problem.

Edited by M()zart