USBSTOR\DiskKingstonDataTraveler_2.0PMAP

USBSTOR\DiskKingstonDataTraveler_2.0

USBSTOR\DiskKingston

USBSTOR\KingstonDataTraveler_2.0P

KingstonDataTraveler_2.0P

USBSTOR\GenDisk

GenDisk

seeking help with usb support in w98fe

I' would like to install the universal serial bus driver file named: nusb320-Eng-98FE.exe on my win98fe pc for universal usb support.

I' did a complete update to the o.s. system using the official m.s. updates,if I've already did the official updates,do I' still need to install the unofficial update file: FESP230EN-R.EXE ?

MSINFO32 info:

[software Updates]

Updates = Year 2000 Update for Windows 98

Windows 98 Service Pack 1 = 4,10,0,2000

[Virtual Private Networking Update for Microsoft Windows 98 and Dialup Networking 1.3]

[W98]

[Windows 98 KB891711 Update]

[Windows 98 KB896358 Update]

[Windows 98 KB908519 Update]

[Windows 98 KB918547 Update]

[Windows 98 Q245729 Update]

[Windows 98 Q256015 Update]

[Windows 98 Q259728 Update]

[Windows 98 Q273727 Update]

[Windows 98 Q273991 Update]

[Windows 98 Q274548 Update]

[Windows 98 Q314147 Update]

[Windows 98 Q323172 Update]

[Windows 98 Q323255 Update]

[Windows 98 Q329115 Update]

[Windows 98 Q811630 Update]

[Windows 98 Q823559 Update]

[Windows 98 Q888113 Update]

[W98.SP1]

[Windows 98 Q168115 Update]

[Windows 98 Q238453 Update]

O.S.

WIN98FE

1998 410 1998A

disaster recovery? how do I' backup restore these files in case something goes wrong ?

---------

disaster recovery? how do I' backup restore these files in case something goes wrong ?
Take your pick of a Disk Imaging Software. Boot from a floppy or CD (can be from the CD that has the imaging software) and make a full system partition image. If you happen to have both system and data in the same partition, then image it all. In case anything goes wrong, redeploy the image. You have to create the image of your system before adding anything else, in order to be on the safe side.
I' would like to install the universal serial bus driver file named: nusb320-Eng-98FE.exe on my win98fe pc for universal usb support.
It should install OK, on your system, as it is.
I' did a complete update to the o.s. system using the official m.s. updates,if I've already did the official updates,do I' still need to install the unofficial update file: FESP230EN-R.EXE ?
You don't need to. But you might want to. In any case, you can do it after installing nusb. Or you can do it before installing nusb. It's indifferent.

"Foolproof" instructions for this driver? ;) I'm fixing up an olde Compaq Armada 7380DMT* (I don't have a USB card for it) and writing what I hope are user-proof instructions for various things. Here's what I did for this USB driver.

Feel free to copy, modify, add to, remove from, fold, spindle, mutilate, translate into Farsi...

*This laptop dates from 1999, quite possibly the last laptop series ever *without* built in USB. Strange of Compaq to not have USB on these when others had it at least as early as 1997.

1. Obtain a Cardbus USB card with Windows 98 Second Edition drivers.

2. Follow its instructions for installing its drivers.

3. DO NOT install any drivers for your USB Mass Storage devices.

3. Run nusb33e.exe to install universal USB Mass Storage drivers.

All USB Mass Storage devices such as external hard drives, thumb/pen drives, floppy drives, audio/video players, digital cameras and cell phones with drive/disk/mass storage mode should work, as long as the filesystem is FAT16 or FAT32.

In other words, if you can plug it into WinMe, 2000, XP or Vista and use it like a disk drive *without* having to install a driver, it *should* work in 98SE with this driver.

If not, go here. http://www.msfn.org/board/maximus-decim-na...ers-t43605.html

This driver DOES NOT SUPPORT non-storage devices such as scanners, printers, tablets, cameras/phones that *don't* have a drive/disk/mass storage mode, or any other device that doesn't act like a disk drive.

If it is a storage device and requires a driver for WinMe, 2000, XP or Vista, it won't work with this driver in 98SE. (Note that some storage devices may have drivers/utilities for features other than basic storage support that does not require a driver to be installed.)

This USB driver is only for the ENGLISH version of 98SE. See the above forum link for versions for other languages. If there's not one for your 98SE's language, ask nicely and someone there may be able to fix you up.

Why this driver instead of installing individual drivers for every camera, drive and phone? Multiple USB Mass Storage drivers use up room on your hard drive, use more RAM, add more bloat to the Registry and can cause conflicts with each other.

Additional note for media with a formatted capacity of less than 32 megabytes (includes media with exactly 32 meg unformatted capacity). Windows 2000 and XP will format such media as FAT12. Windows Me and 98SE with this driver will format such media as FAT16. It's best to never format 32meg or smaller media with 2000 or XP, especially when it's the non-removable memory in a device.

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for info on whether it is possible to get the device names to appear in Explorer instead of just "Removable Disk". I tried to edit the obvious .inf but nothing has changed. Any info on how to do this?

I ask because some devices mount as multiple disks and it's hard to distinguish them. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I've run into a problem with this wonderful driver package.

After I install it, my USB network adapters stop working.

I have a Win98 FE machine that has all of its PCI slots full. Installing the USB Driver makes usb flash drives work, but the ntkern.vxd included doesn't work with either my linksys usb200m or a d-link of similar fashion. Neither device loads and the problem goes away when I use sfc to restore ntkern.vxd... but then flash drives don't load.

Is there a solution to this? Thanks for the support over the years! Just having this ability is awesome. :)

Oh yeah -- as a note, this machine is connected to a domain, if that makes a difference.

Edited by jrronimo

Have you installed the correct package for Win98FE?

NUSB3.3 is for 98SE and NUSB3.2 is for 98FE. See post#350 in this thread by PassingBy, the creator of the 98FE version.

Direct download at http://www.mdgx.com/spx/NUSB98FE.EXE

HTH

Edited by lightning slinger

Have you installed the correct package for Win98FE?

NUSB3.3 is for 98SE and NUSB3.2 is for 98FE. See post#350 in this thread by PassingBy, the creator of the 98FE version.

Direct download at http://www.mdgx.com/spx/NUSB98FE.EXE

HTH

Thanks for the reply. I did make sure to download the FE package yesterday, so I'm pretty confident that I got the right one. Further, it did actually work -- it let me plug in a USB mass storage device which I could read/write to.

It's just that the USB network adapters stop working, and I need 'em. :)