Maximus-Decim Native USB Drivers

It seems impossible to download the 2.2.1. update from the following link:

http://rapidshare.de/files/6032283/nusb221e_upd.zip.html

Is there another link (mirror site) we can download it from?

I really tried many time from the link above, and always got "Download-session invalid".

Is there really no mirror site I can download from???

For Mille,

You are welcome.

I really tried many time from the link above, and always got "Download-session invalid".

Is there really no mirror site I can download from???

For Mille,

You are welcome.

I've just clicked at your link and there was absoutely no problem with the download, I had the file within 10 seconds.

If you need it, I've put it here: http://www.winpack.org/petr/nusb221e_upd.zip

Petr

Thanks a lot Petr for your great help.

I got <nusb221e_upd.zip> from your site now.

But I really had and still have problem downloading from Rapishare as I mentioned, I don't know why.

Hats off to those involved in this great development !

I have Win 98 SE (French). Does someone know where I could find the files off Q23696 & Q291362 ?

Concerning the NUSB22E.EXE : may I pick & extract & replace the files one by one (using WinRAR for instance), so that I can be sure it doesn't replace newer files ? Is there something to update in Registry in addition to replacing files in their respective directories ?

Is the NUSB22E (and its updated .inf file) sufficient for USB 2 storage to work ? I mean, without also doing the MDGX "98SEtoME" modification ? I don' t like the idea of going for the latter, esp. since he does not provide non US versions, and I am nervous about how that would interact with Windows Updates, and finally because I do not want some of his replacements - the Scandisk from ME for instance is definitely not good for 98 SE (doesn't work with Drivespace). But I am digressing...

Do I have to "remove" all my USB storage devices before I install NUSB22E (or the files within) ?

What is the manual way for "removing" the devices in question ? Do I simply remove them in Device Manager, or must I also clear the Registry (I think so...) and, please, which registry keys would have to be removed ?

Or can I trust the uninstallers for the respective devices ?

Sorry these are many questions :-(

Edited by Ninho

Rapidshare is a dead loss. Major Geeks is better but that too is a little convoluted and difficult to get to work. I would go for SoftPaedia - never had any problems with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I am glad to find this forum! I have been looking for a generic usb driver for Win98se and was certainly overjoyed to find the MaximumDecim USB driver.

I have downloaded and it works for the Palm T5 in drive mode ! great stuff and thanks to you Maximum Decim!

I am encountering some problem though.. 2 issues..

1. I got an unknown (I cannot find any brand name anywhere on the flash drive) flash drive from friend and after plugging in, the system identify it as ADAM USB device and installed the relevant driver. Now the sytsem could recognise the drive but the problem is that it cannot access the data on this flash drive because all the file names are "____" with the respective file extn eg. .ppt, .doc etc for MS office files... Can anyone help me out ? I suppose the installed driver in this case was not totally compatible... Is there a way to install a new driver and where to get this driver ?

2. RIght now I can only access the Palm T5 on drive mode but is unable to sync data with desktop because Palm does not provide any drivers for Win98se since Microsoft is not supporting Win98/98se anymore... can anyone help in this area ? where do I get the driver so that I could sync the Palm t5 with the desktop on win 98se ?

thanks !!

1. I got an unknown (I cannot find any brand name anywhere on the flash drive) flash drive from friend and after plugging in, the system identify it as ADAM USB device and installed the relevant driver. Now the sytsem could recognise the drive but the problem is that it cannot access the data on this flash drive because all the file names are "____" with the respective file extn eg. .ppt, .doc etc for MS office files... Can anyone help me out ? I suppose the installed driver in this case was not totally compatible... Is there a way to install a new driver and where to get this driver ?

Just an idea - isn't possible that these file names are in different character set than is the default character set of your Windows 98?

Petr

Is the NUSB22E (and its updated .inf file) sufficient for USB 2 storage to work ? I mean, without also doing the MDGX "98SEtoME" modification ? I don' t like the idea of going for the latter, esp. since he does not provide non US versions, and I am nervous about how that would interact with Windows Updates, and finally because I do not want some of his replacements - the Scandisk from ME for instance is definitely not good for 98 SE (doesn't work with Drivespace).
Please see READ1ST.TXT for details how to install 98SE2ME option 8, which installs only USB, Firewire + WDM drivers from WinME CD + 98SE2ME directory [C:\9!M] without installing the rest of 98SE2ME:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/READ1ST.TXT

Hope this helps.

Edited by MDGx

see READ1ST.TXT for details how to install only USB, Firewire + WDM drivers from WinME CD + 98SE2ME directory [C:\9!M] without installing 98SE2ME[/quote)

Hail, MDGx! Yep, since that earlier post of mine I have tried many things, including the NUSB2 and 98SE2ME limited to USB/Firewire, as per your earlier posts. It's fine, but has done nothing to alleviate my problem, which as discussed in another thread is that the motherboard manufacturer, SiS (now Foxconn I believe) did not want to pay for licencing the OrangeWare USB 2.0 stack for Windows 98/SE/ME, nor did they bother to develop one in-house. As a result of this, users of SiS based mother boards in Windows 9x are limited to USB 1.1 functionality even though the hardware is USB 2.0 capable (and works in Win 2k SP4).

Thank you for your impressive work

--

Ninho

Maximus-Decim,

So far, only one little bug concerns me. That is when I click on the Unplug or Eject Hardware icon and follow the prompts until the Wizard says it's O.K. to remove the device, the LED on the flash drive is still on. With my XP tower, the LED goes off when I reach this point.

Maximus! Many thanks to you for this excellent driver! I purchased a Sandisk Sansa M240 mp3 player as a gift for my son thinking that it had Win98se support. Unfortunately, Sandisk does not support Win98se for this player, which led me on a long search for a driver to allow me to load files to the player. After finding this forum and installing your driver....Sweet Relief!!!! It works perfectly and is very easy to use. You have my thanks and respect Sir! Keep up the good work! :thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

zgbg9

Memphis, TN

USA

A very handy tweak indeed, yes many thanks for your efforts Maximus..

It didn't work 1st go though, but I worked it out in the end...

1st it wouldn't detect a thing so I browsed through this entire thread

& installed all add-ons I thought might help, & in the end I have 2

98se machines seeing all my different brands of flash drives..

1st, I installed the nusb22e.exe from the 1st post & not much

happened at all after a reboot, except that the machine now

has the dreaded shutdown problem { wont shutdown }

then I installed the updated usbstor.inf into the Windows\Inf

folder, but still no-go.

Then I installed the drivers for one of my flash-drives &

then it would detect, but now all other brands detect as well,

plus the icon for disconnecting the devices also shows next to

the volume icon, bottom right..

I'm wondering if installing the drivers for one of my flash drives

somehow made a registry change that kept it working & detecting

every other drive from there on in using your drivers..

The only problem was the shutdown didn't work, until I installed

3 files from MS

1: 239887up.exe = shutdown supp # 1

2: 4756US8.EXE = shutdown supp # 2

3: 240075up.exe = usb controller update, which according to MS, is for

a system running via chipset with K6 cpu, well one system had a K6cpu, but

had an ALI chipset, yet this update was also needed for that system to

shutdown every time without locking up too.

Some pics to show it working below...

Edited by K e n

My PQi 1GB flash memory drive is not recognised by your NUSB22E driver file. Is there any way of modifying an inf file so that it will work (instructions please) and will it be supported in future versions.

T.I.A