Maximus-Decim Native USB Drivers

• 2 weeks later...

If I had it I would put it on my webspace, but I don't and seems that nobody else does either, or ones that do have not seen this thread.

@TmEE: Please do it. It's findable nowhere else. Regretably it seems the reference repository at Tech-Assist stopped being updated at v. 3.3 (v. 3.4 wasn't ever released, but they've missed v. 3.5 and v. 3.6).

Edit (in view of the post following this one): Tanks a lot! You rock! :thumbup

BTW, just found the russian NUSB35r.exe :yes:

I cannot download anything from that service... when I have means to get the file I'll surely put it on my server.

EDIT:

http://www.tmeeco.eu/9X4EVER/GOODIES/nusb35e.exe

http://www.tmeeco.eu/9X4EVER/GOODIES/nusb36e.exe

http://www.tmeeco.eu/9X4EVER/GOODIES/nusb35r.exe

http://www.tmeeco.eu/9X4EVER/GOODIES/nusb36r.exe

http://www.tmeeco.eu/9X4EVER/GOODIES/

Enjoy !

Edited by TmEE

• 3 weeks later...

Well ... I've no idea if this will work, but I'll try.

First, thanks to M-D for NUSB; it has made Win98 viable for me for I don't know how many years now. 3.6 cleaned things up even a bit more, so thanks for that!

I have one remaining USB issue which may be self inflicted. The machine is a Dell 2400 running a fully patched 98SE. In order to get the Intel video to play I disabled ACPI (SETUP /p i) That eliminated both IRQ and memory conflicts and has worked well for everything else. USB flash drives are fine with NUSB 3.6, EXCEPT that if I try to boot with a flash drive in place the machine hangs after the STARTING WINDOWS 98 message.

Any thoughts?

if I try to boot with a flash drive in place the machine hangs after the STARTING WINDOWS 98 message. Any thoughts?

Yes. Just one. Do it before going to sleep one night, and check in the morning to see whether it progressed and finished starting windows or if it remains at the STARTING WINDOWS 98 message, and report back.

• 1 month later...

First, I'm sorry to be so slow responding to dencorso's suggestion to let win98 run overnight to see if it does eventually come up when I have a USB flash drive installed. It DOES do so -- it actually takes about 45 min. to an hour. Normal would be under a minute -- this is a 2.4 GHz machine, I believe.

HOWEVER, if I look at Win Explorer, the flash drive is there twice: Once at D and once at E. Clicking to 'Safely Remove Hardware' only gets rid of one of these.

If I bring up Win 98 without the flash drive inserted then D is the CD drive (as you'd expect) and E is the flash drive. 'Safely Remove Hardware' works as it should.

Either way, when I look at Device Manager I have a 'USB Mass Storage' and under a new heading of 'Storage Device' I have 'Disk Drive.'

Very strange ...

I have now followed jumper's suggestion to disable USB emulation in the bios. That solves the problem: It now comes up in a perfectly normal amount of time even with a flash drive installed.

If the flash drive is in place then it comes up with that drive at D and the CD at E -- the reverse of what happens if the flash drive is installed after booting.

Again, many thanks!

:thumbup I'm happy jumper's idea solved it! And I'm happy you tried the experiment I proposed: because eventually coming up is different from never coming up, and knowing for sure which case one has helps a lot in finding solutions, but also because, when it comes up -- albeit after a long time --, many further experiments may be performed in order to find out what's happening... of course, this time that avenue won't have to be pursued any further, because you've already hit jackpot! Congratulations! And thanks for reporting back: the most frustrating experience for the helpers is to be left without notice of how it all ended. You rock! :thumbup

First, I'm sorry to be so slow responding to dencorso's suggestion to let win98 run overnight to see if it does eventually come up when I have a USB flash drive installed. It DOES do so -- it actually takes about 45 min. to an hour. Normal would be under a minute -- this is a 2.4 GHz machine, I believe. HOWEVER, if I look at Win Explorer, the flash drive is there twice: Once at D and once at E. Clicking to 'Safely Remove Hardware' only gets rid of one of these. If I bring up Win 98 without the flash drive inserted then D is the CD drive (as you'd expect) and E is the flash drive. 'Safely Remove Hardware' works as it should.Either way, when I look at Device Manager I have a 'USB Mass Storage' and under a new heading of 'Storage Device' I have 'Disk Drive.'Very strange ...

Windows 98 does not match USB partitions found by DOS with those found by Windows. This leads to two Drive Letters referencing the same Partition. This can lead to corruption if both are written to. In addition the DOS based Drive Letter is not recognized as an USB drive so it cannot be safely removed. Since they both have the same signature, some internal data is shared causing crashes to occur if the Windows based Drive Letter is removed.

To avoid these problems you must insure that only one OS recognizes the partitions. To prevent this you can do one or more of the following:

1. Disable BIOS USB Mass Storage support.

2. Remove or disable the USB Drive during BIOS booting.

3. Remove or disable the USB Mass Storage Drivers in Windows 98.

4. Use Windows Only Partitions with my Patches.