Maximus-Decim Native USB Drivers

Cross-posting here and in the U98SESP3 thread.

Due to the repeated problems some users with VIA Chipsets are having, I have created an automated installer for the VIA USB 2.0 Driver Stack. This can be used to replace the Microsoft Windows 2000 files installed by NUSB and the Unofficial Service Pack on systems that have VIA chipsets and have problems using the Microsoft files.

This package supports the /Q:A and /R:N syntax for silent or scripted installations. It will overwrite the Microsoft files installed by NUSB in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS and C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS without prompting.

This package is intended for use with NUSB and the USP ONLY. It does NOT provide an INF file, and can NOT be uninstalled. To restore the Microsoft files, you must re-add them manually, or reinstall NUSB/USP.

ONLY USE THIS PACKAGE IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE MICROSOFT DRIVERS!

VIAUSB2.ZIP - 180.7 Kb

• 1 month later...

I am to preparing to uninstall nusb3.3 and replace it with nusb3.6. However there are a number of things I am unsure/unclear about.

1. From Maximus Decim (various posts) - “*Native (without installation of additional drivers for each type) support USB flash drives, digital photo and video cameras and other similar devices” suggests that nusb33 covers all USB devices yet most other posts seem to refer only to Mass Storage Devices. Some cameras are seen by Windows as MSDs, but not all.

From - http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1 – the link to this thread is broken; apparently this quote is from a post by Lone Crusader on May 23 2013 -

“Q. What is a "native USB driver," as opposed to any other kind of USB driver?

A. Native means, as the name implies, built-in USB driver support without the need for installation of additional drivers for each type of USB device being used.” This does suggest that Nusb supports any USB device. Is this correct?

However, from post #888383 by Bizzybody, 17th Oct 2009, in (referring to nusb33e) “This driver DOES NOT SUPPORT non-storage devices such as scanners, printers, tablets, cameras/phones that *don't* have a drive/disk/mass storage mode, or any other device that doesn't act like a disk drive.” Perhaps this has changed with nusb36e.

2. From Maximus Decim - “*Universal Stack USB 2.0 (without installation of additional drivers for each chipsets) with uninstall.” The meaning of this is unclear except to gurus. Presumably this means that Nusb overwrites the existing Universal Stack … with a new one. My understanding is that if Windows cannot find a Universal Stack it writes a new one so presumably if the existing stack is deleted and Nusb installation inserts its own one Windows is happy with that and doesn’t change anything. Is this correct?

3. Further, from the same quote – “with uninstall”. What does uninstall here refer to – does it automatically uninstall an earlier version if present before installing the new one, or does it mean that the new version includes and uninstall procedure for removing itself if required?

4..I have read various postings about the advisability of periodically clearing out USB device entries using Safe Mode Device Manager. I propose to do so before starting the procedure for installing Nusb – is this a good idea, and if so I presume that this process should be fully completed and a restart performed before starting the Nusb installation? Currently I have 22 entries in Safe Mode Device Manager (with no USB storage devices plugged in), with entries under “? Other devices” (2, both with ?), Storage device (8, 7 having the same pair of drivers) and Universal Serial Bus Controllers (12, including 2 for printers which are in use. In the last group are entries for Unknown device, USB root hub and USBPort driver – would one of these be for the 4-port USB hub which is always connected? If not, would this hub have an entry and what would it be? In Normal Mode Device Manager, with no USB storage devices connected, there are only 4 USB-related entries – there “would” be 5 but only one printer is connected at a time).

I am not sure how to best to go about this as advisories I have read are inconsistent. From Bizzybody’s post (#731 in ) it would appear that one starts with Add/Remove in Normal Mode. Most methods then say to remove USB device entries found in Normal Mode Device Manager then boot to Safe Mode and remove any others present, then reboot to Normal Mode (? cancelling any Windows requests to reinstall drivers – Bizzybody); ? then recheck in Safe Mode (http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup Device Manager Safe Mode.htm) (can't make this link include the whole title), then reboot to Normal Mode and install nusb36. The correct order of removal is pretty universal and its importance emphasised, but where do ‘Other devices’ and ‘Storage devices’ other than flash drives come in the removal sequence?

I would be grateful for clarification on these points. TIA.

Edited by Washrwoman

However, from post #888383 by Bizzybody, 17th Oct 2009, in (referring to nusb33e) “This driver DOES NOT SUPPORT non-storage devices such as scanners, printers, tablets, cameras/phones that *don't* have a drive/disk/mass storage mode, or any other device that doesn't act like a disk drive.” Perhaps this has changed with nusb36e.

Just like nusb33e, nusb36e supports only mass storage devices, but some composite devices were added. No scanners or printers whatsoever are supported.

Maximus Decim Native USB ver.3.6

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Native (without installation of additional drivers for each type) support USB flash drives, digital photo

and videocameras and other similar devices.

*Universal Stack USB 2.0 (without installation of additional drivers for each chipsets) with uninstall.

1.Remove ALL drivers USB flash drives.

2.Remove ALL drivers USB 2.0 controllers.

3.Remove ALL USB 1.1 and 2.0 controllers and devices.

4.Remove ALL unknown devices.

5.Install NUSB 3.6 and reboot.

6.After detection new USB 1.1 and 2.0 controllers (if it will occur) too it is necessary to reboot.

Remember! You install it at own risk!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's new?

* SYSDM.CPL 4.90.3001 - for auto install driver at insertion of the new flash devices

*USB.INF 01.02 (MD, exclude "CopyFiles" sections )

*USB2.INF 01.02 (MD, add new devices (Intel, ATI), exclude "CopyFiles" sections)

*NTMAP.INF 01.01 (MD, exclude "CopyFiles" sections )

*USBNTMAP.SYS 01.03 (MD, exclude "CopyFiles" sections )

*USBSTOR.INF 01.11a (MD, Problemchyld, add new devices, exclude "CopyFiles" sections )

*QV2KUX.SYS - (Problemchyld, for Casio)

Maximus Decim Native USB ver.3.5

What's new?

*OPENHCI.SYS 4.90.3000.1

*UHCD.SYS 4.90.3000.1

*USBD.SYS 4.90.3000.1

*USBHUB.SYS 4.90.3002.1

*USBCCGP.SYS 5.1.2600.5585

*USB.INF 01.01 ( LoneCrusader)

*USBSTOR.INF 01.10dt (dencorso, add new devices)

*USB2.INF 01.01 (MD, add new devices)

BTW, Maximus Decim Native USB ver.3.4 (= nusb34e) was never released.

1. From Maximus Decim (various posts) - “*Native (without installation of additional drivers for each type) support USB flash drives, digital photo and video cameras and other similar devices” suggests that nusb33 covers all USB devices yet most other posts seem to refer only to Mass Storage Devices. Some cameras are seen by Windows as MSDs, but not all.

Only Mass Storage Devices are supported. Devices that do no operate as "MSD's" as you call them are not supported.

A. Native means, as the name implies, built-in USB driver support without the need for installation of additional drivers for each type of USB device being used.” This does suggest that Nusb supports any USB device. Is this correct?

No, "native" in this case simply means that a "generic/universal" driver is provided for MSD's, as opposed to 98SE without NUSB, which requires each USB Storage device to have it's own manufacturer-provided driver. Above answer also applies here.

“This driver DOES NOT SUPPORT non-storage devices such as scanners, printers, tablets, cameras/phones that *don't* have a drive/disk/mass storage mode, or any other device that doesn't act like a disk drive.”

Correct.

Perhaps this has changed with nusb36e.

No. NUSB36E upgrades the USB 1.1 Controller/Hub Driver Stack. This does not change or add any external device support.

“*Universal Stack USB 2.0 (without installation of additional drivers for each chipsets) with uninstall.” The meaning of this is unclear except to gurus. Presumably this means that Nusb overwrites the existing Universal Stack … with a new one. My understanding is that if Windows cannot find a Universal Stack it writes a new one so presumably if the existing stack is deleted and Nusb installation inserts its own one Windows is happy with that and doesn’t change anything. Is this correct?

No. A driver "Stack" is simply a set of driver files, usually including an .INF file with device data, plus .SYS/.VXD/.PDR etc files that actually interface with hardware.

There is no existing "Universal Stack" under 98SE and Windows cannot "write" a "Stack. These drivers must be created by programmers. More on "Driver Stacks" below.

3. Further, from the same quote – “with uninstall”. What does uninstall here refer to – does it automatically uninstall an earlier version if present before installing the new one, or does it mean that the new version includes an uninstall procedure for removing itself if required?

The latter.

4..I have read various postings about the advisability of periodically clearing out USB device entries using Safe Mode Device Manager. I propose to do so before starting the procedure for installing Nusb – is this a good idea, and if so I presume that this process should be fully completed and a restart performed before starting the Nusb installation?

Yes, but not necessarily in that order. Devices not currently connected to the machine do not show up in the Device Manager in Normal Mode. This is why Safe Mode is advised, because it shows ALL installed devices, whether they are currently connected or not.

You should remove ALL entries for ALL USB connected devices (including entries under "Universal Serial Bus controllers," "Disk drives," "Storage devices," and any others, including Printers in your case) under Safe Mode, and then reboot into Normal Mode. Order of their removal is not important, just be sure you remove them all.

Bypass/Cancel any driver installation requests on the next boot, and when the Desktop has loaded, check the Device Manager to see that none of the USB devices have returned. If they have, remove them, then install NUSB36E, and you will be prompted to reboot for the new drivers to be installed.

I would be grateful for clarification on these points. TIA.

No problem. ;)

Now, more on "Driver Stacks," which seems to be a point of confusion for many, not just yourself.

NUSB333E contained two "Driver Stacks." One driver stack is for USB Mass Storage Devices. The other was for USB 2.0 hardware (controllers/ports/hubs) in your machine if it has USB 2.0 capability. Windows 98SE does not have a "Driver Stack" for either of these types of hardware "out of the box."

USB Storage Drivers, USB2.0 Hardware Drivers, and the USB 1.1 Hardware drivers that do come with 98SE are three separate entities. Each of these does a different job.

The difference with NUSB36E is that it also updates the USB 1.1 Hardware drivers to the Windows ME versions. The "USB Storage Drivers" and the USB 2.0 Hardware Drivers are all the same as before.

Updating the USB 1.1 files allows for the use of more "USB Composite Devices" (which I don't have enough knowledge about to describe properly) on some machines and in certain configurations. This feature has really not been tested much in "applied" situations, because those situations seem to be uncommon, or they have not been reported/discussed here.

So, NUSB36E contains THREE "Driver Stacks," each independent and for different hardware devices. Drivers for USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 ONLY provide support for devices INSIDE your machine, not External devices. The only External Devices supported are USB Mass Storage Devices.

USB composite devices are ones that have more than one function but use a single USB port. IIRC they also *do not* have an internal USB hub to connect their different functions as individual devices.

The most common USB composite devices are printer/scanner/copier/FAX machines that also include a Type A USB port and/or a memory card reader. NUSB should support memory cards and USB Mass Storage devices connected through such multifunction devices or MFD's.

Another common type of USB composite device is a digital camera or GPS (and some phones) with a memory card that can be accessed as USB mass storage at the same time as some other non-storage function of the device is also usable through the USB connection.

Such devices where *only* the USB mass storage function is accessible through the USB port aren't composite devices. Some of those automatically switch modes when they sense they're connected to a computer and make their other functions iunusable, some can be manually switched and some allow access to the memory card from the computer but the device cannot access the memory card while the computer is doing so.

That last situation is common with phones. Plug an Android phone into a USB port and you get a prompt to change to USB mass storage mode or just charging. Some phones have another option to connect as a mobile internet connection. (Of course the service provider may have disabled some of those features, which is where rooting the phone and custom Android builds enter the picture.)

USB keyboards that have built-in hubs and/or card-readers are also composite devices. And they get even more "composite" when one connects a USB moushe through such a hub. Now, 98SE and ME (at least, the older 9x I'm not sure, but probably) support both USB mice and keyboards natively, as "HID" devices, and cooperates nicely with NUSB, so that, through the HIS driver stack, those input devices (or Human Interface Devices) are also supported, but that's not due to NUSB. NUSB 3.6 also expands the compatibility with some types of HID devices (particularly KVMs...).

Great response, much appreciated, peoples! Once I absorb it all I'll have a much better understanding of the whole situation. I presume that a card reader with an SD card inserted will be recognised as an MSD by Nusb, or does the reader itself require a manufacturer's driver?

Thanks for that.

"Bypass/Cancel any driver installation requests on the next boot, and when the Desktop has loaded, check the Device Manager to see that none of the USB devices have returned. If they have, remove them, then install NUSB36E, and you will be prompted to reboot for the new drivers to be installed."

“… when the Desktop has loaded, check the Device Manager …” – presumably in Safe Mode to get a thorough check then again boot back to normal mode cancelling requests to load drivers. Correct?

I presume that removing devices with Device Manager leaves the drivers for things like printers and scanners intact so that Windows will find and reinstall them after Nusb is installed. Correct?

“… when the Desktop has loaded, check the Device Manager …” – presumably in Safe Mode to get a thorough check then again boot back to normal mode cancelling requests to load drivers. Correct?

It can't hurt, but if you have removed everything in Safe Mode, there's no reason to load Safe Mode a second time. Just cancel the requests to load drivers and verify that none have returned to the Device Manager on the next (Normal Mode) boot.

I presume that removing devices with Device Manager leaves the drivers for things like printers and scanners intact so that Windows will find and reinstall them after Nusb is installed. Correct?

Yes, the driver files are not removed from your system, they should be redetected along with everything else when NUSB has installed. Be sure that you physically disconnect all USB peripheral devices (printers/scanners/MSD's/etc) from your machine while you do this, and don't reconnect them until AFTER NUSB has been installed successfully and you reboot again.

Edited by LoneCrusader