What version cd-key

netbotix

My school offers free downloads of software using Xp and am looking to see exactly what version they are offering for download. All they say is WINXP SP2. I assume it is an upgrade but I was wondering if there is a program that if i plug a cd key into it will spit out what its for?....

Thanks

Well, I would tell you how to check it, but it would probably get me banned. Check with your schools IT Dept or whoever it is that is offering the cd/iso download. Most schools with large Micro$oft deployments usually qualify for their VLM key, which does not require activation (mostly for the desktop os and Office). But since you are a student there, they probably won't let you all run off with a VLM key (I know we don't). What are the requirements and restrictions on getting the copy from your university?? With our faculty and staff, if they ever leave, they must remove all installations of university licensed software.

Well you can download it via the internet with out school logins. Or you can go pick up a cd from the store on campus. There is one cd key that is always the same. Basically, every time I look, the key does not change.

Does it require you to activate it?? If it does not, then its a VLM copy. If it does require activation, then its a retail or OEM copy. Below are examples of what the cd volume label looks like and what variant of XP you have, providing that the University has not changed it:

CCP Compliance Checking Program (Upgrade Version)

EVL Evaluation Version

FPP Full Packaged Product (Retail Version)

OEM Original Equipment Manufacturer

RTM Release To Manufacturing

SEL Select (License for 250 or more PCs)

VLK Volume License (Product) Key

VOL Volume (License)

Language CD Description Volume Label

English Windows XP Professional (SP2) Retail VRMPFPP_EN

English Windows XP Professional (SP2) Upgrade VRMPCCP_EN

English Windows XP Professional (SP2) OEM VRMPOEM_EN

English Windows XP Professional (SP2) VLK/Corporate/Volume VRMPVOL_EN

English Windows XP Professional (SP2) MSDN VRMPFPP_EN

For the full listing of all cd labels, including 2k and server 2k3, check out this site:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=297

about half way down the page are the links to the cd volume labels. Hope this helps ya.

Maryland does an academic volume license deal with Microsoft. The software discs are Volume media for Office, Windows and Visual Studio .NET is also included in the deal. You get to keep the license to the software when you leave, the only restriction being that you can't resell it. I would imagine yours is most likely a volume license as well.

Cheers

just look at the size... sp only is about 260MB, full cd is (uncompressed) >600MB

microsoft is offering update cds for free, maybe your school ordered some hundreds of them.....

I can not believe a school would buy windows for their pupils...

just look at the size... sp only is about 260MB, full cd is (uncompressed) >600MB

microsoft is offering update cds for free, maybe your school ordered some hundreds of them.....

They do it and most every campus here in Texas at least that I know. I am just wondering if what they are offering is an upgrade or full version im download a exe so I guess I will just have to wait.

if your school is in Microsoft's MSDNAA program, they let you download microsoft softwares for free while you are a student there.

and the XP copy you download will not be a volume license version.

you will be downloading a retail version with an unique key given to you.

if your school is in Microsoft's MSDNAA program, they let you download microsoft softwares for free while you are a student there.

and the XP copy you download will not be a volume license version.

you will be downloading a retail version with an unique key given to you.

At the technical school I go to, they also use Microsoft's MSDN Academic Alliance. I did get WinXP through there and it was a retail with a unique key and the installation requires activation. Through the MSDN Academic Alliance I can also recieve Visual Basic 6 and .NET, SQL Server 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Visio 2003. This is all software for development and this is why Microsoft has this available to many students and different schools.

I hope you are not suggesting that they should buy OS X for their pupils. :D

I received free Micro$oft software while I was in school also. It is pretty common.

• 3 weeks later...
Ive never heared about this here in europe?!

Agreed.

I know a long time back there was a thing called WAH (Work At Home) rights license but at the time, and still continually up to now, we never have had the money to do it. In truth, its hard in our county as we have very limited resources and there's only usually 1 technical member of staff in each high/secondary school.

We get our licenses (mainly) through the county MS vol (Select) license but I have tried to get some sense out of them - which is hard at the best of times - and they have given me zero feedback on this when I asked many months ago.

I'm not sure which Select license it is precisely, but I "think" it is Select Academic or some Select govermental vol license.

If anyone in the UK knows a bit more, please PM me as all of us techies in the county would like to know about this.

I'm sure it wont be free though lol nor would we be giving out our vol key's either lol

Regards,

N.