Incoming call disconnects modem

ardi

With my new XP Pro, a new problem: when I'm connected to my ISP and someone calls me, the modem hangs up. It never did this with Windows 98, and I've looked for a setting to no avail.

Anybody know how to stop this annoying problem?

Tell people to not ring you heh :)

get another line?

get broadband?

try another modem?

ok, being realistic, it will be a setting in your modem properties, but as you say you have looked i guess not (you looked by right clicking on the modem? or in control panel > other hardware > modems?)

try get the proper drivers? (i assume your using winXP default drivers?)

what model is it?

It's on my daughter in law's computer that I just upgraded. I looked and looked on the modem properties sheet for some setting that made sense to change. Same with the Network Connections properties. Nothing seems relevant.

Maybe I should try a different driver? It's a cheap generic modem and I think I used the vanilla Windows driver.

I was hoping someone would say, "Oh, dummy, set the blank to blank to keep that from happening."

She has call waiting. Maybe that interacts.

Hi ardi,

Try this;Control panel,phones and modems,double click on My Connection in the locations area,you will see the check box for disabling call waiting at the bottom.I have a cheap modem also and I have satellite one way and even though I was layered up on the sat modem when someone called I would get kicked off.Change the setting and it should be fine.

zipp's solution should solve it.But if not,here's a few more things to check.

Other devices on the same phone line, such as a telephone, fax or answering machine may interfere with your modems operation, even if you are not using the other devices at the time.

Line noise may also be the cause:

e.g

Radio frequency interference (eg. Using a mobile phone next to your modem)

Loose wiring/jacks

Old or faulty wiring

Poor lines

• 11 months later...